Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2007, 11:36 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K10 and GPS

Hi,

I am the worlds worst note taker and would love to be able to record the location of the shots I take. The ideal solution would be to have GPS co ordinances automatically placed in the EXIF file. Second best solution would be the ability to plug in a PDA into the camera and add to the EXIF file.

The K10 is great but I would buy an upgrade if a feature like this was introduced in the next Pentax body. I use the Delorme GPS program in my laptop so returning to a previously photographed location would be a snap.

This idea hit me as I was working on some shots I took and couldn't remember the exact location. How do you keep track of were you took your photos?

Regards,

01-02-2007, 12:53 PM   #2
Veteran Member

with great difficulty.. he he.. i take a picture of the odd signpost or other such clue every so often.. but its a problem.. the cameras date nameing folder thing helps..

trog
01-02-2007, 01:18 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Try robogeo.
01-02-2007, 02:04 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
JFDavis,
Nifty piece of software. You would still need a hand held gps to give you the way point. If I mark the spot with my laptop GPS I could then transfer that info using robogeo. Cumbersome but workable.

Regards,

01-02-2007, 03:22 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've used it with several Garmin GPSrs: Etrex series and Map series. Either the breadcrumb track or waypoint or both. Sometimes places like Target carry the etrex series at substantial discount.
01-02-2007, 05:05 PM   #6
Veteran Member

pencil and paper?

dunno...thats something we will never see in a camera in a long time..if not ever....it's the least thing a photographer really has in his mind...would just drive the cost up really.......hand held gps or what not like what everyone else has said is the best way
01-02-2007, 05:30 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
John, That looks like a nifty piece of software. Since I do most of my shooting in and around NYC not terribly necessary, but nifty none the less.

NaCl(much easier for me to write 18th x5&6)H2O

01-02-2007, 05:36 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
John, That looks like a nifty piece of software. Since I do most of my shooting in and around NYC not terribly necessary, but nifty none the less.

NaCl(much easier for me to write 18th x5&6)H2O
yeah, same here...but usually, you can tell at what you shot at by just looking at the pics..

usually tho..when I go shoot outside the city..or somewhere else...when I transfer my images, i name my folder the date and particular place..ie..12.26.06_CPZoo

BUT i can see the need for exact spots...like when one goes out for a hike...or to see see an area in different seasons..
01-02-2007, 08:26 PM   #9

I use a special technology called a pencil and paper, too.

It's a lot easier and faster than entering settings into some gadget.
01-02-2007, 08:47 PM   #10
Forum Member

Sony's actually got this in a couple of their P&S digitals. Actually, it IS a feature I'd like to see, as a GPS receiver's really pretty easy to implement now (come on... they have 'em in watches!!)

I geocache and hike frequently, so having my actual locale stored in EXIF would be cool.
01-02-2007, 09:19 PM   #11

I have abandoned file renaming or folden naming system I used. I have too much pictures for such an archiving system. Finding specific pictures or pictures related to some place or people is pain if archives are indexed using picture and folder names.

EXIF is the best place for all picture related information. There can be put all the people names, places and other information. If you use some cataloging software as iView Media Pro or similar, indexing is very easy. If you do it every time you download pictures from cards to your computer it is even very quick and easy work. Later it is painful because handling too many pictures is slow.

And after this is done, finding pictures is very easy. Just ask pictures of aunt Betty, and you have all pictures related to her in screen. And of course you can sort them by multiple keywords: holiday and aunt Betty or Greece, holiday and aunt Betty etc.

Just disciplined download workflow is needed :-)

I just cannot understand how this could be done with paper and pen, despite it how good tools they othervise are :-)

Looking for pictures of "aunt Betty" out of my ~30000 saved pictures manually using folder and file names became impossible.

This possibility of adding exact locations to EXIF information is great. I have been looking for proper software for this (suitable and easy to use in my workflow). You just put GPS receiver tracking on while shooting and later at home connect the GPS to computer and use this program to download the coordinates from GPS and write them to each picture. And then add all other indexes by drag and dropping.

Thank you for the link to RoboGeo!

PS. Good book about picture archiving also for hobbyist is Peter Krogh: The DAM book, digital asset management for photographers, O´Reilly Media (read it before your archive is too big :-)
01-02-2007, 10:12 PM   #12

Have a look at

OziPhotoTool

Its a tool to match up the photo with your location as recorded by a GPS track plot, based on an exact match of time in the plot and the photo exif data. Obviously you need to be carrying the GPS, and also to have your camera time set to the exact GPS time.
01-02-2007, 10:40 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
when I transfer my images, i name my folder the date and particular place..ie..12.26.06_CPZoo
Me, too, except in "yymmdd-frame#LocationShortDecription" format.

For the original question, how about a Canon P&S that allows a memo on the image, or just a tape recorder?
01-03-2007, 03:57 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Me, too, except in "yymmdd-frame#LocationShortDecription" format.
Since I have digital photos going back to he 1990's, I find YYYYMMDD-HHMMSS a good method. I also put my initials in front, so LDG_20070103-065624 could be an image name.

Kind of unwieldy, but easy to sort and search!
01-03-2007, 06:30 AM   #15

i dunno about u guys but whenever i shoot something (more than 10 pictures) i created a folder with mm-dd-yyyy-name of event/place and in side folder i would name each picture with name such as the person in the picture (always from left to right)..etc the only thing that i might needed to add is the order for in which the picture is taken...