Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2008, 10:34 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Remotes for K10D E, D, F, !?!

What remote is best used with the K10D? E has a zoom button for applicable P&S models, F and D apparently just have a button. If you hold down on the button does the shutter remain open? I understand from other posts on Pentaxforums that when in remote trigger mode it times out in 5 min. I prefer the pentax remote, but is anyone having success with the third party remotes ? I primarily use the release for fireworks, some animal pics and group pictures that i'm trying to elicit more than a stare at the camera from the group.
Thanks!

02-04-2008, 10:37 PM   #2
Forum Member

I got an F remote this saturday for my k10d, and it holds the shutter open for as long you press it.
I wish it had an autofocus option, but it does not. You have to prefocus before you can use it.
02-04-2008, 10:52 PM   #3
Inactive Account

ranamar,

There is an option in the custom menu to enable auto focus with the remote control. It is defaulted to off...
02-05-2008, 01:53 AM   #4

Would that be why my two button remote just operates the shutter without focussing first?
First (focus) buton closes sleeve and ring on the 2.5mm plug
Second (shutter) button closes sleeve and tip on the 2.5mm plug
Both just seem to fire the shutter

02-05-2008, 04:20 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Does anyone know if the D remote fits inside the battery grip for the K10D? I think the F does, but hasn't Pentax progressed from F stuff to D stuff?
Brian
02-05-2008, 11:54 AM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pw-pix Quote
Would that be why my two button remote just operates the shutter without focussing first?
First (focus) buton closes sleeve and ring on the 2.5mm plug
Second (shutter) button closes sleeve and tip on the 2.5mm plug
Both just seem to fire the shutter
If you're using a wired connection (as I assume you are since you mention a 2.5mm plug), you should definitely be getting autofocus to happen when you press one of the buttons - it should do exactly the same as half-pressing your shutter, including metering, etc.

I built my own using parts from Radio Shack, an old telephone cord, and a Tic-Tac container, and it works great for about $3 in parts.

The design is so simple that I doubt it makes any difference who builds the remote, and Canons use the same design, so you could use a Canon remote.

As for the setting in the custom menu, I believe that's only for wireless remotes. Which is fine as the OP was discussing a wireless remote I believe.