Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2012, 02:01 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Seems like you're just afraid to use Pentax because you think all the "big boys" use some other brand and will hate you for it. But the world of adults is not like that, when it comes to jobs, you really shouldn't worry about that. Just get a used K-5 and a wide angle lens for interior photography (Samyang or Zenitar wide angle, if you are really on a budget, and then fix distortion in pp). And a heavy duty tripod, maybe lights. Then read some blogs about it, go and shoot some for a little portfolio.

10-08-2012, 02:19 AM   #17
Site Supporter

No need to change from Pentax for real estate photography.
There are several k-mount lenses which should be perfect for the job: DA15, Samyang tilt/shift 24mm, Sigma 8-16 for starters.
10-08-2012, 06:37 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

I just rented that Sigma 8-16 and it's impressive. I really like the color rendering on the Sigma lenses I've used, and will keep an eye open for a couple on the used market (but better not hold my breath, I guess),
10-08-2012, 09:49 AM   #19

Photos: Albums
I earn money the photo. The portrait, wedding, cheap advertizing of clothes and furniture is my things. I love hunting and travel and I take camera also. I started to shoot in digital with the Pentax *ist DL. I got Fuji S3 Pro then. It was really fine camera, but everything sometime comes to an end and this camera broke.
I wanted to buy Nikon D700 and I went to shop. But I was disappointed... Nikon was too heavy and very big, unusual management, very loud... I decided that inconvenience of the chamber can do much harm only in my work and any FF can't fill the shots spoiled for this reason. Pentax K-5 stood nearby in the same shop. Some set of lenses of Pentax remained with me with the film SLR Z-10. I took K-5 in hands and I was struck with convenience of use. It became a determinant and I bought K-5. I can tell now that K-5 it is really professional equipment. But I was afraid that I will lose a part of clients which the brend is important. I was mistaken. My clients don't pay attention to the device, they look at pictures. Other photographers look at Pentax with a smile and don't consider me as the serious photographer. But their opinion doesn't influence my purse. And if I have to make impression, I get Mamiya C33.

10-08-2012, 10:26 AM   #20
Pentaxian

For budget of $1000, better stay with Pentax. A used FF camera is at least $1500+.

If you have budget of $3000....that's another story.
10-08-2012, 10:30 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Roman Quote
I earn money the photo. The portrait, wedding, cheap advertizing of clothes and furniture is my things. I love hunting and travel and I take camera also. I started to shoot in digital with the Pentax *ist DL. I got Fuji S3 Pro then. It was really fine camera, but everything sometime comes to an end and this camera broke.
I wanted to buy Nikon D700 and I went to shop. But I was disappointed... Nikon was too heavy and very big, unusual management, very loud... I decided that inconvenience of the chamber can do much harm only in my work and any FF can't fill the shots spoiled for this reason. Pentax K-5 stood nearby in the same shop. Some set of lenses of Pentax remained with me with the film SLR Z-10. I took K-5 in hands and I was struck with convenience of use. It became a determinant and I bought K-5. I can tell now that K-5 it is really professional equipment. But I was afraid that I will lose a part of clients which the brend is important. I was mistaken. My clients don't pay attention to the device, they look at pictures. Other photographers look at Pentax with a smile and don't consider me as the serious photographer. But their opinion doesn't influence my purse. And if I have to make impression, I get Mamiya C33.
Perfect answer! Thanks!!
10-08-2012, 11:12 AM   #22
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I guess reading what your budget is, I would echo what others have said, that you are best off sticking with what you've already got. In the end, you are your biggest asset when it comes to getting jobs, not your camera. If you can get a cadre of happy clients, your photography business will grow, regardless of the brand you are shooting.
10-10-2012, 10:24 AM   #23
Veteran Member

I've been doing a little looking at the other brands recently since they've come out with cheap(er) full-frame bodies. Each system from Nikon, Canon & Sony has its strong & weak points in their lens lineups. If you don't mind the cost & weight of their pro lenses, great. But if you're trying to be strategic in buying lenses you'll find that you're still going to spend $3k+ on a body and a few lenses.

For APS-C, even though you're not really invested in Pentax lenses, you'll find a lot of bang for your buck in picking lenses. I just don't see as much reason to switch to another system if you're happy with Pentax and not going FF. If you want to upgrade your low-light/high ISO performance you can get a K-30 or K-5(II), and with Pentax's in-body image stabilization you're spared the cost & weight of stabilized lenses.

10-10-2012, 10:43 AM   #24
Veteran Member

I don't want to sound demeaning and terrible, but are you sure you even have the potential right now to go pro? Many of my friends have tried to go "pro" as soon as they picked up a DSLR for the first time and failed, realizing it's a little harder to get a job at NatGeo than they thought. A year later after getting some decent shots they try again at local wedding photography shops, senior pic shops, etc. Almost all of them failed. One person I knew who actually is somewhat successful working part time with a professional firm actually shot excellent photographs for a few years before landing the job. He had an awesome portfolio as well.

I've recently seen a picture from you on the critique section that was pretty miserable, although you said it was an exercise in PP. Your flickr has some decent shots but nothing that would get you hired for a full time company. There's a lot of over/under exposed shots, portraits with bad shadows, etc. You probably want to clean that up before applying to a photography company. Also, you want to go into real estate photography but I don't really see any in your flickr. Of course maybe you have a portfolio of excellent work that you keep to yourself.

I'm being harsh, but I'm trying not to be mean. I just think you should seriously re-evaluate your potential to make it in the professional photography business before dropping a lot of cash to invest in a "professional" camera system.
10-10-2012, 11:17 AM   #25
Veteran Member

I'm not trying to make it sound like you will never make it in the photography business. Just suggesting that you should focus more on your technique and craft before thinking about the need for a more commonly accepted professional camera system.
10-10-2012, 11:52 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ironlionzion Quote
I don't want to sound demeaning and terrible, but are you sure you even have the potential right now to go pro? Many of my friends have tried to go "pro" as soon as they picked up a DSLR for the first time and failed, realizing it's a little harder to get a job at NatGeo than they thought. A year later after getting some decent shots they try again at local wedding photography shops, senior pic shops, etc. Almost all of them failed. One person I knew who actually is somewhat successful working part time with a professional firm actually shot excellent photographs for a few years before landing the job. He had an awesome portfolio as well.

I've recently seen a picture from you on the critique section that was pretty miserable, although you said it was an exercise in PP. Your flickr has some decent shots but nothing that would get you hired for a full time company. There's a lot of over/under exposed shots, portraits with bad shadows, etc. You probably want to clean that up before applying to a photography company. Also, you want to go into real estate photography but I don't really see any in your flickr. Of course maybe you have a portfolio of excellent work that you keep to yourself.

I'm being harsh, but I'm trying not to be mean. I just think you should seriously re-evaluate your potential to make it in the professional photography business before dropping a lot of cash to invest in a "professional" camera system.
I think this is a great post and great advice.
People really need to be honest with themselves and that is one of the hardest things people can do, not just in photography, but life in general.

Quite frankly, if you are making these types of posts i.e. wanting someone to justify your choice of camera system, maybe you aren't ready to be a professional. Confidence is critical in any profession.
10-10-2012, 05:08 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
I think this is a great post and great advice.
People really need to be honest with themselves and that is one of the hardest things people can do, not just in photography, but life in general.

Quite frankly, if you are making these types of posts i.e. wanting someone to justify your choice of camera system, maybe you aren't ready to be a professional. Confidence is critical in any profession.
I think you are misunderstanding my original proposition. It wasn't so much that I thought I was going to lose jobs because of shooting Pentax, per se, especially with everything Ben K has said, but rather that I might lose jobs because I would be shooting a different brand that what the person I'd be working with might be shooting. Like, someone might be shooting Canon and they might want someone shooting underneath them to also be shooting Canon.

I'll be investing nearly $500 in a lens tonight, so don't worry, this thread is settled.
10-10-2012, 08:26 PM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by Buschmaster Quote
I think you are misunderstanding my original proposition. It wasn't so much that I thought I was going to lose jobs because of shooting Pentax, per se, especially with everything Ben K has said, but rather that I might lose jobs because I would be shooting a different brand that what the person I'd be working with might be shooting. Like, someone might be shooting Canon and they might want someone shooting underneath them to also be shooting Canon.

I'll be investing nearly $500 in a lens tonight, so don't worry, this thread is settled.
If your portfolio is solid and you've got the gear to produce then I don't think it would make a difference. You could call some of the photographers and ask.
10-10-2012, 08:27 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'll probably begin emailing some of them either tonight or in the morning. I'm hoping to start generating money with this so I can put that towards a K-5 II (or K-5 classic if the reviews are underwhelming) for when the prices begin to drop
10-10-2012, 08:29 PM   #30

Btw, what lens did u get?