Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2008, 09:41 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Manual Focus Beep Confirmation

Question, I noticed that when I manually focus my K10D I get a beep when it gets into focus, just as if I had allowed the camera to auto focus all on it's own, aside from thinking this is probably one of the coolest features in the world... is this common on other SLR's with auto focus? Am I just easily amused?

02-05-2008, 09:56 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My earlier Pentax AF bodies do have this feature. I find it very useful, maybe with the exception of weddings etc...
02-05-2008, 10:19 AM   #3
Forum Member

I think one of the first things I turn off with a new camera is the beep on focus

However the green focus confirmation in the viewfinder is rather helpful, but still nowhere as easy to focus with as a split screen.
02-05-2008, 10:26 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I love that feature,

My Sigma SD14 had it with an auto focus lens but not with a manual focus lens

Although the focus indicator light works with the manual focus lenses. So they could have easily included it.

02-05-2008, 11:12 AM   #5

yea, it's a pretty awesome little feature--MF is MUCH easier when your in-focus indicator is in the middle of the screen. On the downside, if you attach the meter to half-click, the meter won't lock in MF. Can't win.
02-05-2008, 11:30 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nex1 Quote
Question, I noticed that when I manually focus my K10D I get a beep when it gets into focus, ...(snip)... is this common on other SLR's with auto focus? Am I just easily amused?

Yes, you are easily amused. Regardless, as far as I can remember, every auto-focus camera I've owned has had that beep during manual focus. However, unlike some of those other cameras, the K10D also blinks the focus point indicator over the image in the viewfinder.

stewart
02-05-2008, 11:32 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Awesome, thanks for the info guys! Next question, does anyone know if a MF lens will get the beep on the K10D? (the guy with the Sigma said his would only beep with an AF lens set to manual, but not a manual lens). I'm probably going to be adding some inexpensive older prime lenses to my bag, if it beeps then that would be wonderful, if NOT, then I may look into switching to the split focus screen more heavily.... even the green light would be good enough, just SOMETHING that would help. I would like to get a nice macro and super telephoto lens, I probably can't afford a newer AF lens for either. And in either case, macro or super telephoto, not having AF would not be a big deal (at least for what I plan on using them for).

02-05-2008, 11:41 AM   #8
Veteran Member

The K100 sure does, so I would imagine that the K10 does as well
02-05-2008, 11:48 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
You just made my day!
02-05-2008, 11:49 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nex1 Quote
(snip) Next question, does anyone know if a MF lens will get the beep on the K10D? (snip)

Yes, it will work the same (beep and red indicator) with either a manual focus lens or an auto-focus lens manually focused. I delayed posting long enough to actually verify all that with my camera.

stewart
02-05-2008, 12:11 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have been using a Tamron 300mm/2,8 MF on my K10D. Works just fine !
02-05-2008, 07:39 PM   #12
Veteran Member

The beep and the light up is a very cool feature.
But a word of caution.
I found that if I'm turning the focus ring in a hurry, by the time I hear the beep and react to it, I've actually passed the point of accurate focus.
I always double check using the matte focus screen as well.
02-05-2008, 08:06 PM   #13

The beep is useful for those with poor eyesight, the light is useful for those with poor hearing.

I hear there's a new model coming out for those with poor eyesight and hearing: Once the lens is focussed, a little finger shoots out and pokes you in the eye.
02-05-2008, 08:27 PM   #14
JMS

QuoteOriginally posted by marcdsgn Quote
The beep is useful for those with poor eyesight, the light is useful for those with poor hearing.

I hear there's a new model coming out for those with poor eyesight and hearing: Once the lens is focussed, a little finger shoots out and pokes you in the eye.
Heck with that, the finger just mashes the shutter release.
02-05-2008, 09:28 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
The beep and the light up is a very cool feature.
But a word of caution.
I found that if I'm turning the focus ring in a hurry, by the time I hear the beep and react to it, I've actually passed the point of accurate focus.
I always double check using the matte focus screen as well.
That's where focus lock works. Switch the camera to AF and if the rest of the settings are right it'll only take a picture at that point.