Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2008, 12:56 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Folders created

I have an interesting question. recently I took a serious number of images with my K10D, all in JPG. Now when you attach your camera to the PC you get the usual PENT100 folder where the images are. Now, this time not only did I get a PENT100, but a PENT101 as well with more images. Also, I had a considerable number of images in the folder (all good) which exceeded the number of images that the camera suggested as the limit (I currently use a 4gb SDHC card) Also I had yet more images that I could take, running into the hundreds.

I know that most of the images had dark backgrounds (night scenes etc) so the file sizes were reduced, but it interesting to find this.

Anyone come across this, and why it happens?

02-05-2008, 01:08 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Folder names are normal. You get a new folder when there are images already on the card, and you acquire another image on a new day. As long as it's a new day, and there are already folders/images on the card, you will get a new folder. Wipe the card clean, and the numbering starts all over.

First thing I do when I copy my files/folders to a hard drive is to rename the folder to the date the images were acquired, such as:

for February 5th, 2008. This makes computer sorting by date easy. I usually append a short one or two word description to the end of the date with the primary subject matter of the images in that folder.

Have never exceeded the file limit. Always shoot RAW or RAW+, so I have to swap cards before I reach any type of limit.
02-05-2008, 01:23 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, that would explain. I was shooting over news years eve, hence two different folders on the card.
02-05-2008, 05:26 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by volosong Quote
Folder names are normal. You get a new folder when there are images already on the card, and you acquire another image on a new day.
Really? How peculiar. I've never seen that on any of my various cameras (including K100D)

02-05-2008, 05:39 PM   #5
Forum Member

my camera (the k10d) has a limit of 500 photos per folder and will create a extra folder if i shoot more then 500 photos on a single card...

the other intresting thing is that the ONLY exception to that is IF while bracketing you go past the 500 mark it will still put the bracketed photos in the first folder and THEN put all the extra photos in the next folder...

so you could have 504 in a single folder if you were doing 5 shot brackets....