Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-10-2012, 12:19 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax K-5 DNG import into Lightroom

When using Lightroom 3 I never had any problems importing my DNG files from my K-5. I upgraded to LR4 and then updated to 4.2. I always transfer the DNG files on my memory card to my hard drive then import them into LR. Now when I click on a couple of my folders with photos in them in the import window the files names will appear but the picture previews won't show. I can open the photos in Bridge and Photoshop, so I can't imagine that the files are corrupt. These are files that I've had before and were fine in LR3, but I went into the folders after upgrading to see if I had some photos that I hadn't imported yet. If I click on the folders I'm not able to get previews for and then click on other folders I can't get anything to show previews. I've been in contact with Adobe tech support a few times without success. I've deleted the preview folder to rebuild it, among many other things. I did reinstall LR also. I also transferred my memory cards again and those folders still will not work correctly. It's a mystery why some photos will preview and others will not. I've also checked security settings on all my photo folders. Anybody else having problems with LR4 import and DNG files? I've spent days trying different things and I'm at a loss. I can't find anything of help on the Adobe forums. Very frustrating. Hopefully it's nothing to do with the K-5 DNG format.

10-10-2012, 01:19 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
I cannot say that your issue might be - could be a number of things, but here's a test you can run - as well as another method you could use to start your workflow. I shoot DNG on my K-5 as well, but I use use LightRoom to import the files from my memory card and generate 1:1 previews on the fly. This way LightRoom is doing all the work and keeping track as it builds the database. You also have the options to add custom metadata automatically during import, as well as run a preset of your choosing, if you like. All in all I see no advantage in *not* doing it this way...
10-10-2012, 01:40 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I've recently upgraded as well with no problems.

Can you right click on an image and select MetaData --> Update DNG Previews & Metadata?
Does the image update?

Bad memory cards can cause odd behavior varying from corrupt JPGs to lines through images. Perhaps the embedded JPG portion is too corrupt to be useful?
Have you tried other memory cards. (just a guess, I doubt it but worth a try just in case).

Although I'd be surprised if that were an issue because the embedded JPEG is usually overwritten quite quickly as LR generates new previews after import.
10-10-2012, 03:49 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Some of the preview images do not appear in the import grid view, therefore I can not click on them and choose the options that you suggest. I have the files in folders on my hard drive and as I've mentioned I can open them in Bridge and Photoshop. The previews also show in the Library in LR (the ones I've already imported). It's in the Import window where the problem is. Sometimes I can get some of the images to preview and others will not. Sometimes there are some images that will preview when I reopen LR and then the next time they won't. Very strange. No other problems with other programs including Photoshop.

10-10-2012, 04:02 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I tested 4.2 with dng from the k-5 and it works ok.

Is it possible that your system resources like memory limits are being reached?

4.2 needs more power than LR3
10-10-2012, 04:23 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
A suggestion: paragraphs, sentences and commas are your friend. It's hard to understand what you are talking about.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jool Quote
Now when I click on a couple of my folders with photos in them in the import window the files names will appear but the picture previews won't show.
Is your problem in Lightroom or outside of LR - the folder selection dialog will just show file system stuff, not LR rendered previews.

My workflow with DNG's and LR 4.2 is the following:

- copy files from SD card into folders on computer
- open LR
- in the Navigation pane, select 'Folder > Add folder'
- File system dialog box opens, then I select the folder I want to import
- Import window opens, thumbnails of images in target folder get displayed
- within Import window, select 'Render previews > Standard' under 'File Handling'
- within Import window, select preferred metadata etc presets
- within Import window, select images to be imported
- hit 'Import'
- once import is complete, browse images in new folder within LR Navigator pane using grid/loupe etc view.

How does that match yours?

Last edited by rawr; 10-10-2012 at 04:30 PM.
10-10-2012, 04:32 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Once in a while a preview won't appear, or more likely it just takes a while to appear -- possibly you are under some very tight memory limits, or your computer is just underpowered, or your hard drive is super-fragmented (makes it real slow) or you have no page file (or a too small one)? If you wait a long time, do they appear? Try importing from a directory with just one or two images. I don't pay too much attention since I always import the whole batch and it removes duplicates automatically, so I don't care too much about the pre-import previews (I have it make new ones on import anyway).
10-10-2012, 05:54 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Thanks for the thread. have just updated to 4.2 due to the thread. my past DNG files seem to be OK

10-10-2012, 08:47 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I don't think my system resources are the problem.
Win 7 professional, 8Gb RAM, 3.6GHz processor, 2TB GeForce GTX570 video card, 1TB main drive, 1TB hard drive for photos.

In the Import Window some grid boxes will show the image preview and the filename, some will say "preview not available" and the filename, and others will only show the filename. Some of the files that won't generate a preview are files that I've already imported (and should show grayed out in the import grid view).
In the Library module I click the Import button to open that window. I click on a folder containing my DNG files. That's when I start having problems. I can let it sit there for an hour and some previews will not appear.
I transferred my memory cards again to my hard drive just in case the files on the hard drive were corrupt and the same problems exist.

I found some people with the same problem in a Google search but there weren't any that had solved the problem.
Everything that Adobe tech support tried did not help. They even took control of my screen to troubleshoot but they couldn't figure it out. A next level tech person is suppose to call me.
10-10-2012, 08:52 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Try importing directly from the card -- any different?
10-10-2012, 09:06 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes your system resources aren't the problem. Hope Adobe can sort it out.
10-10-2012, 10:43 PM - 1 Like   #12
Moderator PEG Judges

Dare I say mines all good on a iMac, dives for cover as I finish sentence.
10-12-2012, 02:43 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I stuck with Lightroom 3.6, I tried to install LR4 but it slowed down really bad and I dont like the new controls for developing my images, I just got too used to the older way of doing it.
I uninstalled it and am still using LR3.6, However one day I may go back to LR4 if and when they iron out the kinks.

One suggestion I might have tried myself- try to download your images straight off of your card onto your hard drive and then try and import them from Lightroom by just directing the import to that folder, I imagine if it is doing the same thing then it most likely isn't your card, I would then just take the card out and reformat the card in the camera and try it again with some test photos.
If it isn't your card then the problem probably lies with your actual image files and possibly an incomplete install of LR.
I would them just totally uninstall LR and restart your computer and reinstall LR,.....see if that fixes your problem, that HAS worked for me many a time. Some times when you are installing a program, it will skip a few important files and not install correctly.
10-12-2012, 03:41 PM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Problem finally detected

While waiting for 3 days for the higher level tech people from Adobe to contact me (and still waiting) I tried something else. It seemed like there were two folders that were a problem in the import window, even though these have been there since 2011 and worked in LR3. I retransferred my memory card images and tried to import those and still had problems. I then cut all my video files and moved them from those folders. Guess what? The previews in the import window show as expected. So it is the video files (avi) that the import window doesn't like. I don't know how to solve that problem but at least I know what's causing such odd behavior. Those were the only 2 folders with video in them and the only ones wreaking havoc. I guess I could just put those files elsewhere since I don't use LR to edit video (I use Sony Vegas). I was in contact with Adobe support 5 times and after all the system changes, deleting, rebuilding, uninstalling and reinstalling LR, etc, etc.I finally figured it out on my own. We will see when Adobe finally contacts me if they have a solution. For now I will just move the video files elsewhere. Moral of this story, if your having problems with your import window, check to see if video files are the culprit.
10-13-2012, 03:12 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jool Quote
Moral of this story, if your having problems with your import window, check to see if video files are the culprit.
Thanks for that tip. Noted for future reference!!

I hope Adobe eventually identifies and solves the problem.