Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-10-2012, 06:40 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Need Help for a second camera

Hi everyone,
Happy evening/night.
Recently I made a decision of not investing into any aps-c lens of K mount. I sold out almost everything. Instead, I decided to go for AF F lenses and get a F35-50 (perfect lens for this price), and kept my F50/1.7.
So the things is getting a little bit tricky: after selling my 16-45, I found my don't have any wide lens anymore. For Pentax, since APS-C is out, I really don't have lots of choice, so in this way I would like go for a daily use, small in size system for both backup and street photography.
And now I have couple choices, but I am totally lost in these:

Ricoh GRD IV:
$450 -$550
Pros: small, and with rich in-camera filter effects; 28mm prime lens w/F1.9. Pentax-ricoh brand.
Cons: 1/1.7 small sensor; relatively expensive for a compact camera.

Ricoh GXR with P10 module
$360 for used
Pros: small in size; Pentax-ricoh brand.
Cons: P10 is for sure another 1/1.7 sensor. with A12 28mm module, the price will boost into $800 to $900

Panasonic LX5
$299 for used
Pros: Cheap, F2.0 lens
Cons: out-of date; big shutter lag;

Pentax Q-1
$399
Pros: interchangeable lenses, lenses are cheap, smallest in size, and Pentax-Ricoh brand;
Cons: 1/1.7 sensor way too small; another Q mount lenses

Pentax K-01
$550 with DA 40XS====> the body itself is like $350
Pros: interchangeable K Mount lenses; Best IQ among all these; no need for further purchase of accessories;
Cons: Bulky size for a back-up camera; no outside VF, potential APS-C lens purchase

FUJI X100
$900 for Ext++ Used
Pros: 35mm fixed lens rectangle VF camera; Nice looking; Nice in-camera film effect;
Cons: Expensive; bad interface.

So basically, What I am looking for should be:
1) cover 28-35 (35mm equivalent FL), prime comes first,
2) small, can fit into pocket,
3) relatively cheap.

I kind want to get either the Q or the GXR...however, Q10 is coming, and GXR....IDK whether it is still worth to be invested.
So, which one would you guys go? I really appreciate your help
Best,
Bing

10-10-2012, 06:45 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Why not get the Samyang 14mm? As far as I know, thats a FF lens and would be crazy-wide on a FF camera.

EDIT: I REED GUD. If you're going small, why not just get a top end point-and-shoot? Otherwise, just grab a NEX or PEN or something with an adapter?

I'm also having trouble wrapping my head around why you want to avoid APS-C but embrace the mini-sensors of a mirrorless camera. I have almost all FF lenses (old, manual stuff, plus a couple cheap AF) and use(d) them on my K-x up until the camera died, andplan to keep using them on the K-5II or K-30 depending on which I buy come tax time.

If you want to keep full compatibility your only option really is the K-01.

Last edited by Sagitta; 10-10-2012 at 07:00 PM.
10-10-2012, 06:47 PM   #3
Veteran Member

RX100 is the best camera you can fit in your pocket, did you consider this camera?
10-10-2012, 06:47 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
Why not get the Samyang 14mm? As far as I know, thats a FF lens and would be crazy-wide on a FF camera.
Thanks for the suggestion.
I used to own a Rokinon (same as Samyang, vivitar, etc...) 85/1.4. Similar size like the 14mm.
The lens itself was pretty, however it's just too bulky and heavy. And that's the reason why I sold it...

10-10-2012, 06:49 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
RX100 is the best camera you can fit in your pocket, did you consider this camera?
Thanks...for this.
However I just don't like the design of it (kill me, kill me dead). Ricoh's GXR/GRD and Pentax Q10 fit my taste well.
And stupidly, the RX100 is like $650 in the market, and which would only cost around $500 if I purchase one from China (also brand new).
KILL ME!
10-10-2012, 06:51 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster

EDIT: I REED GUD. If you're going small, why not just get a top end point-and-shoot.
Humm! Top end point-and shoot. You mean Sony RX1?
10-10-2012, 06:52 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This might be a silly question, but why did you divest yourself of APS-C lenses?
What is your primary camera body?

If you're missing the wide side, getting a Q won't be much help (yet).
How about an old film camera??

10-10-2012, 06:58 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
This might be a silly question, but why did you divest yourself of APS-C lenses?
What is your primary camera body?

If you're missing the wide side, getting a Q won't be much help (yet).
How about an old film camera??
The answer might also be silly as well: I just want to jump to FF world (hopefully still Pentax). And I'm tired of throwing money into the lens blackhole (which I did before).
So think for both future (within a year) and economically, APS-C out, and FF-support lens (even old lens) in.
What I want is that, I hope I can use K5 for the FL of 50mm - 300mm (FF equivalent), and put another to cover the 28-35, or if possible, 28-50.
And my favorite FL is 30mm to 50mm.
I know this is stupid but this is the move.
For old film camera---i had two. I still use them, however not very frequently.
Thanks!
10-10-2012, 07:06 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by hongzhibin1987 Quote
The answer might also be silly as well: I just want to jump to FF world (hopefully still Pentax). And I'm tired of throwing money into the lens blackhole (which I did before).
So think for both future (within a year) and economically, APS-C out, and FF-support lens (even old lens) in.
What I want is that, I hope I can use K5 for the FL of 50mm - 300mm (FF equivalent), and put another to cover the 28-35, or if possible, 28-50.
And my favorite FL is 30mm to 50mm.
I know this is stupid but this is the move.
For old film camera---i had two. I still use them, however not very frequently.
Thanks!
This is actually my long term plan as well, but I have no qualms about grabbing an APS-C camera new in a few months. Hopefully you didn't sell any DA lenses that were FF compatible as well - some of them actually are.
10-10-2012, 07:09 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This is actually my long term plan as well, but I have no qualms about grabbing an APS-C camera new in a few months. Hopefully you didn't sell any DA lenses that were FF compatible as well - some of them actually are.
This really like a slap on my face----I sold the DA40mm.
And "not grabbing an APS-C camera" wiped the K-01 out, although I think the price and IQ is great.
10-10-2012, 07:57 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hongzhibin1987 Quote
However I just don't like the design of it (kill me, kill me dead). Ricoh's GXR/GRD and Pentax Q10 fit my taste well.
And stupidly, the RX100 is like $650 in the market, and which would only cost around $500 if I purchase one from China (also brand new).
KILL ME!
I don't think the RX100 is the best pocketable camera anyway - the lens aperture has 3 stops variance over the ~3.8x zoom range. The Olympus XZ-1 and Fuji X10 vary by only 1 stop with a 4x zoom. The XZ-2 promises to be even better, adding a new sensor to the already nice lens (I have the XZ-1 and it just fits into my front pocket inside a common Sony case). The X10 is a bit bigger. But the Panasonic LX7 may well trump them all. I'm with DPReview - the lens is more important than the sensor, which is why the RX100 didn't get their higher award.

I presume you've held the Q? If not, you're going to want it even more when you do. I was glad I'd already purchased the XZ-1 when I first tried one - I could then easily tell myself I didn't need one. Otherwise I would have been tempted to buy it, even at $800! I don't know if waiting for the Q10 is better - I'm again thinking of buying the Q or Q10 now that the prices are better, and I like the results from the standard prime and the toy wide lenses, including the B&W in-camera effects (which I don't usually care for, but somehow they seem appropriate in the Q).

The bottom line:

I'd look more closely at the Q/Q10, LX7, and XZ-2. Ultimately I think you want a better camera such as a FF, but these make great pocket cameras for now.
10-10-2012, 08:44 PM   #12
Ole
Administrator

FA or A 20mm F2.8 on the K-5 which I assume you still have based on your signature. That'll fit in a (large) pocket and you will retain the excellent image quality of the K-5. Or look for thr FA 20 - 35 zoom. Not ultra wide but still might be suiting your needs for now.

I've tested various compact cameras and they all eventually disappoint when you're used to a K-5. They either lack a view finder and/or the AF is slow and/or the image quality is lacking and/or operating the camera just feels sluggish.
10-10-2012, 09:14 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
I don't think the RX100 is the best pocketable camera anyway - the lens aperture has 3 stops variance over the ~3.8x zoom range. The Olympus XZ-1 and Fuji X10 vary by only 1 stop with a 4x zoom. The XZ-2 promises to be even better, adding a new sensor to the already nice lens (I have the XZ-1 and it just fits into my front pocket inside a common Sony case). The X10 is a bit bigger. But the Panasonic LX7 may well trump them all. I'm with DPReview - the lens is more important than the sensor, which is why the RX100 didn't get their higher award.

I presume you've held the Q? If not, you're going to want it even more when you do. I was glad I'd already purchased the XZ-1 when I first tried one - I could then easily tell myself I didn't need one. Otherwise I would have been tempted to buy it, even at $800! I don't know if waiting for the Q10 is better - I'm again thinking of buying the Q or Q10 now that the prices are better, and I like the results from the standard prime and the toy wide lenses, including the B&W in-camera effects (which I don't usually care for, but somehow they seem appropriate in the Q).

The bottom line:

I'd look more closely at the Q/Q10, LX7, and XZ-2. Ultimately I think you want a better camera such as a FF, but these make great pocket cameras for now.
Exactly.
You know after I sold bunches of lenses I was thinking: why not just move forward and sell them all? at least 5DMKII now is 2400with lens.
However as a long-time pentaxian, I gave up such idea (damn brand loyalty).
So probably....within my budget, Q10/Q is most likely.
But how about the GXR? I found one deal as used, w/P10 module for $360...
10-10-2012, 09:16 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
FA or A 20mm F2.8 on the K-5 which I assume you still have based on your signature. That'll fit in a (large) pocket and you will retain the excellent image quality of the K-5. Or look for thr FA 20 - 35 zoom. Not ultra wide but still might be suiting your needs for now.

I've tested various compact cameras and they all eventually disappoint when you're used to a K-5. They either lack a view finder and/or the AF is slow and/or the image quality is lacking and/or operating the camera just feels sluggish.
If I need to buy any lens---only one lens, I'll take the FA20-35.
*Thanks* for the words for letting me down
So probably I'll get my Sigma DP1 back
10-10-2012, 10:35 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
FA or A 20mm F2.8 on the K-5 which I assume you still have based on your signature. That'll fit in a (large) pocket and you will retain the excellent image quality of the K-5. Or look for thr FA 20 - 35 zoom.
I can also vouch for both these lenses. I sold the FA20-35 when I got the FA20, but they're both quite good.