Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2007, 01:51 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
K10D as a weapon...

Just had a near-death experience with my K10D.

Feeling familiar with it now, I decided to pull the SD card quickly to download the latest pics onto my laptop.

Well, I damn near lost my life when it attacked me.

Fired the SD card straight for my head - damn near cut it off like a Ninja throwing star I tell ya!

When I calmed down, it was pretty funny.

The spring in the SD slot is strong it seems.

The tip of my finger slipped off the SD card as I pushed down to remove it - leaving it free to fly from the camera and gracefully arc past my head, across my desk and onto the carpet near the office door.

So there we go:

Cornered in a dark alley while traveling? No problem, flip the SD card door open, take aim and get ready to plead self defense...

01-02-2007, 01:59 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Oh, man. I'm going to have to try that myself.
01-02-2007, 02:27 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Now that is funny!!

randy
01-02-2007, 03:09 PM   #4
Veteran Member

just bash them with the camera it will have more effect.. he he

make sure your sd card dosnt go down a hole thow if u use that..

or worse still it could have flown into your mouth and choked u to death.. silly but possible.. my little card reader is the worse for doing it.. loseing the card could be a real problem..

trog

01-02-2007, 03:21 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by doggydude Quote
Just had a near-death experience with my K10D.

Feeling familiar with it now, I decided to pull the SD card quickly to download the latest pics onto my laptop.

Well, I damn near lost my life when it attacked me.

Fired the SD card straight for my head - damn near cut it off like a Ninja throwing star I tell ya!

When I calmed down, it was pretty funny.

The spring in the SD slot is strong it seems.

The tip of my finger slipped off the SD card as I pushed down to remove it - leaving it free to fly from the camera and gracefully arc past my head, across my desk and onto the carpet near the office door.

So there we go:

Cornered in a dark alley while traveling? No problem, flip the SD card door open, take aim and get ready to plead self defense...
The first time I took the card out of my *ist DL it popped right out and flew across the room, coming dangerously near to becoming a dog toy. I've been very careful ever since.
01-02-2007, 06:06 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I just had the opposite experience - I got a new SD card (one of those snazzy SanDisk Extreme III that everyone raves about, it was on sale cheaper than the generic ones!) and bunged it in my K100. It felt funny when it went in, so I decided to take it out. Pushed, and... nothing. Didn't pop up at me. Heart rate surged ("Just 77 exposures and I've busted it already!!") then I tried again, this time it moved up a little, and I could pull it out. Turned it this way and that, nothing looked wrong, stuck it back in and it behaved perfectly normally. Weird.

I'll keep your experience in mind, especially if I'm changing cards out hiking! I've lost contact lenses in the woods before, I don't seem to do well with little fiddly things.

Julie
01-02-2007, 06:45 PM   #7
Veteran Member

"SanDisk Extreme III"

yep those are fatter than normal and can get stuck.. something to please every one..

trog
01-02-2007, 07:11 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by trog100 Quote
"SanDisk Extreme III"

yep those are fatter than normal and can get stuck.. something to please every one..
Gah - why did I never run across that little gem of information before? Nearly gave me a coronary. So much for a "standard" SD card. Ah well, I know it will come out eventually...

01-02-2007, 08:44 PM   #9
Forum Member

Shhhh... Next thing you know, Pentax will be forced to put a big bold label on the side of the camera:

"WARNING! Ejection of memory can be hazardous to your health!"

01-02-2007, 11:13 PM   #10
Forum Member

what if it popped out and hit you in the eye causing you to become blind in your "camera eye"??

then you could sue pentax for all the goodies you want whenever you want because you'd need all that good equipment to compinsate for your lost eye... lol
01-02-2007, 11:55 PM   #11
Veteran Member

OMG now thats not in the manual... shame on them... also see what pentax gets for not using CF cards LOL
01-03-2007, 05:42 AM   #12

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by INcreative Quote
what if it popped out and hit you in the eye causing you to become blind in your "camera eye"??

then you could sue pentax for all the goodies you want whenever you want because you'd need all that good equipment to compinsate for your lost eye... lol
No such luck - they'd say I was an idiot and laugh at me...

On the sticky card topic, I recently had a similar incident with a new Canon P&S I bought my Dad for Christmas. Slipped the new xD card in, thought it was a bit tight and needed neddle-nosed pliers to remove it agin.

Went back to the store, handed it to the guy at the counter, told him the problem, and he proceeded to slip the card in and out like a hotdog in a bun...

Either it just needed to "work itself in" or the tolerances are so close that changes in temperature make a difference - either way, it's fine now.

Good lesson to learn, though, for future reference.
01-03-2007, 05:55 AM   #13
Inactive Account

This is just too funny.
You know it's time to give it up when, even your camera attacks you. I did have the same experience with my DL when I took the first SD card out but learned from a flying card to push it in to release it but keep the finger in place so you don't lose the card. (Now if you do this and lose the finger, Now you have something to worry about in the spring)

Good Shooting.
Cheers: David
01-03-2007, 07:01 AM   #14
Veteran Member

My imagination has run off with me...this is a funny thread.
01-03-2007, 11:37 AM   #15

They should put one of those danger warning stickers beside the door lol.