Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2012, 03:51 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Cool feature indeed, but does not show any photos that have been hosted from another site (eg, flickr) which 90% of the pics posted on this site are from.

10-14-2012, 05:22 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great idea, Adam. Thanks!
It would be great if film cameras were included.
I imagine that involves a lot more work, but something to consider.
10-14-2012, 12:06 PM   #18
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by foto guy Quote
Great idea, Adam. Thanks! It would be great if film cameras were included. I imagine that involves a lot more work, but something to consider.
Since this system is EXIF-based, people would need to add that data in manually, which I don't think is going to happen. One thing that we will do in the future, however, is add an option for users to specify which manual lens they were using for photos without lens data.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-14-2012, 12:14 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Since this system is EXIF-based, people would need to add that data in manually, which I don't think is going to happen. One thing that we will do in the future, however, is add an option for users to specify which manual lens they were using for photos without lens data.
What about lenses that got an identity problem? My Sigma 150-500mm thinks it's a 70-200mm HSM II Macro shooting at 500mm in Lightroom and my actual 70-200mm HSM II Macro thinks it's the OS version with a Nikon mount. Also my Sigma 20/1.8 says F1.7 wide-open in Lightroom. Yeah, my lenses are wierd.

Edit: Just checked my 150-500 in Photome which says "Lens: Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 Macro or Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3"

10-14-2012, 12:23 PM   #20
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
What about lenses that got an identity problem? My Sigma 150-500mm thinks it's a 70-200mm HSM II Macro shooting at 500mm in Lightroom and my actual 70-200mm HSM II Macro thinks it's the OS version with a Nikon mount. Also my Sigma 20/1.8 says F1.7 wide-open in Lightroom. Yeah, my lenses are wierd. Edit: Just checked my 150-500 in Photome which says "Lens: Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 Macro or Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3"
Again, users will be able to specify an alternate lens at some point in the near future. Errors in the EXIF are going to happen, but they're not frequent enough in order to affect the integrity of the search results as a whole. On top of that, if our exif reader isn't sure what the lens is (i.e. if it has 2 or 3 to choose from), it will simply exclude the photo.

Adam

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-14-2012, 12:45 PM   #21

a great additional feature Adam! thanks!
10-14-2012, 01:38 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Good job Adams (and others who contributed this one).
I used to use PPG for sample pictures, but damn those are way better than I can imagine.
10-14-2012, 01:53 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Awesome feature, thanks Adam.

Maybe in the future you could add an option to leverage the thread info in "Post your photos" forum.

Since the camera and lens info is in the thread this would allow additional externally linked photos to appear in searches.

10-15-2012, 10:46 AM   #24
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Awesome feature, thanks Adam. Maybe in the future you could add an option to leverage the thread info in "Post your photos" forum. Since the camera and lens info is in the thread this would allow additional externally linked photos to appear in searches.
This will definitely be looked into in the future. Potentially, we could even fetch EXIF for those photos- I've written such a system for camera-enthusiast.com.

Adam

10-15-2012, 12:38 PM   #25
Site Supporter

Good job!

It is useful.

Thank you.
10-16-2012, 12:58 AM   #26
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Lots of changes & improvements have been made since my original post, so be sure to take another look at the system! It should be more stable and more user-friendly now

Adam

10-16-2012, 01:48 AM   #27
Forum Member

This is a great feature to have on this site! But I would DEFINITELY like to invite everyone to try what I have been doing for months to search the very same thing. Pixel-peeper.com's advanced search feature. I think it is mostly flickr results, if not all, so don't count on pictures from here unless they were put on flickr as well but it is a PRICELESS link if you are as insane as I am when it comes to sample photos. You can search almost EVERY relevant camera (not just pentax brands) and almost EVERY relevant lens in production. And like this pentaxforums sample search, with this one you can also filter other parameters that may be in the EXIF data: the aperture, ISO, exposure time and minimum resolution if you want. It is already pretty useful and to me its the best out there because it works with a larger base of photos.

LINK: Advanced Search

For example, say I want to look for photos taken with the Pentax 77mm f1.8 on a K20D, but I want to see only the pictures taken wide open (f1.8), from ISOs 100-400, and at least 5MP resolution. Voila: http://www.pixel-peeper.com/adv/?lens=1047&camera=859&perpage=30&focal_min=n...max=none&res=5

Like I said though, the downside is it only searches photos on Flickr.

Last edited by brandonbpm; 10-16-2012 at 02:12 AM.
10-16-2012, 03:43 AM   #28
Forum Member

Phenomenal work, nice one.

Paul
10-16-2012, 02:21 PM   #29
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sankon Quote
Phenomenal work, nice one.
Thanks!

Adam

10-23-2012, 03:50 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Adam, try using the search facility on an iPad.
One cannot select neither camera nor lens (the rest works).