Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2012, 04:23 AM - 1 Like   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Pentax Camera & Lens Sample Photo Search Engine - CHECK IT OUT!

While it hasn't been officially launched yet, I thought I'd give you guys a preview of the next big thing on PF: the Pentax Sample Photo Search Engine.

This system basically renders our sample photo forum obsolete, as it allows you to search ALL public photos posted on our forum or in albums/galleries. This means that if you're looking for sample photos taken with lens X and camera Y, chances are you'll be able to find some rather quickly

The way it works is simple: you select a camera and/or a lens, and then the system searches for all photos matching that combination. You can then filter the results based on EXIF parameters such as ISO, focal length, shutter speed, flash, aperture, and even see how often each occurs. Every time you make a selection in one dropdown, the other dropdown is updated to only include cameras/lenses for which sample photos exist. You can further sort the results based on a host of different criteria such as number of likes or date posted.

Click on a thumbnail to open a lightbox, and then use your arrow keys, mouse pointer, or scrollwheel to cycle through photos. A link to the author's original posting containing the photo is also provided.

While the system may appear to be simple, it's probably one of the biggest web applications I've ever written in such a short time frame (started this Sunday), consisting of over 3,000 lines of code. It makes extensive use of client-side javascript to speed up searches and facilitate filtering, so make sure you're not blocking any scripts. I hope you enjoy it, and please to let me know if you run in to any bugs. Everything has been tested to work with Chrome, FF and IE9 using the modern skin. Other skins will work, but are not going to be officially supported.

One other thing- the dropdowns are searchable, so if you just start typing, you will see suggestions.

If you have any questions, just ask! While suggestions are welcome, do note that quite a lot of features that were planned for the initial release are being left out, such as popular searches and camera/lens thumbnails. Those features will be added later on, together with other cool things For now, all camera and lens links will take you to a generic search page, which will then contain links to our lens databases and forums.

Lens/Camera Sample Photo Search Engine - PentaxForums.com

Here is an example of a search for all photos taken with the K-5 & 10-17mm Fisheye at ISO 1600:
Smc PENTAX-DA FISH-EYE 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 ED[IF] | PENTAX K-5 | Lens/Camera Sample Photo Search Engine - PentaxForums.com

Name:  samplesearch.png
Views: 5910
Size:  322.3 KB

There are quite a few marketplace photos listed right now, which I plan on excluding manually if "dislikes" don't take care of it!

Once the system goes live, I will describe how to exclude your own photos from being listed, as such an option does exist (you can see the "allow" icon it in the screenshot). I understand that many of you probably don't want your personal/family photos to be seen by the public on a daily basis! For now, rest assured that only photos posted in public sections of the site will be indexed by the search engine.

For those who are curious: there are lots of non-Pentax photos indexed in the system, but all non-Pentax cameras are hidden. There may be some Tamron/Sigma lenses for which you'll find Canon/Nikon bodies.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-13-2012, 05:09 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Just as a note, I notice the X-5 is not listed. I know it's not been out long, but I'm sure people would be interested in samples if they are thinking of purchasing.
10-13-2012, 05:29 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This is an extremely cool feature. Thank you!
10-13-2012, 05:32 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Did a quick check and looks realy impressive. I have the impression that the PEG is not included in the search.

10-13-2012, 05:59 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Is it possible to comment the pics in any way?
10-13-2012, 06:30 AM   #6
Veteran Member

This is awesome Adam - thanks for you hard work! This is a feature that I will use a lot.

One slight bug I noticed - when using the drop down menus for selecting the camera type and lens type, my pointer does not select the same item as is highlighted as I move my mouse down the list. My pointer is always pointing to the item that is under the current highlighted entry. Since my pointer is pointed at the entry just below the highlighted entry, when I click to choose, I get the entry one below the highlighted one.

I hope I am explaining myself so you can understand.

Using IE9
10-13-2012, 06:32 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Same here stormtech

10-13-2012, 06:41 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Excellent feature and looks very interesting.
However, on the other hand, the "lens sample photo archive" forum will close?
That is a shame, if so, as there was some excellent discussion, and it really made it more than just looking at photos.
10-13-2012, 07:55 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
This is awesome Adam - thanks for you hard work! This is a feature that I will use a lot.

One slight bug I noticed - when using the drop down menus for selecting the camera type and lens type, my pointer does not select the same item as is highlighted as I move my mouse down the list. My pointer is always pointing to the item that is under the current highlighted entry. Since my pointer is pointed at the entry just below the highlighted entry, when I click to choose, I get the entry one below the highlighted one.

I hope I am explaining myself so you can understand.

Using IE9
Same thing in Safari, but certainly a minor bug!

Very cool feature, something I've been hoping for for a while! Thanks a lot, Adam!
10-13-2012, 08:04 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Nice. I would suggest you remove the marketplace from the photo database though as most shots there are not very interesting!
10-13-2012, 09:35 AM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eccs19 Quote
Just as a note, I notice the X-5 is not listed. I know it's not been out long, but I'm sure people would be interested in samples if they are thinking of purchasing.
If it's not listed, then no samples are available. The system scans all photos on the site every 24h, so once people start posting X-5 photos with EXIF, they will show up.

QuoteOriginally posted by Buschmaster Quote
Same thing in Safari, but certainly a minor bug!
I'm aware of it, but my efforts to fix it fail. I will have to look at the code for it more closely

(it's a jquery plugin).

QuoteOriginally posted by mickey Quote
However, on the other hand, the "lens sample photo archive" forum will close?
It may, but unless we add a dedicated commenting system to the sample photo search, I'd rather keep it around.

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Is it possible to comment the pics in any way?
Originally I wanted a comments system to be directly in the database, but I ended up realizing that people might as well comment at the original photo location so that the author will notice your comments. For album photos and gallery photos, you can leave comments directly by clicking on the "view author's post" link; for forum threads, simply post a reply.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-13-2012, 10:23 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Outside linked shots don't seem to be counted? IE, a flickr link won't get tagged?

Assuming so, as I did a quick search for my own shots and its turning up a blank on me.
10-13-2012, 11:28 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote

Using IE9
I see this too, but it does work correctly using arrow keys up/down and then <enter> to select.
10-13-2012, 12:36 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Originally I wanted a comments system to be directly in the database, but I ended up realizing that people might as well comment at the original photo location so that the author will notice your comments. For album photos and gallery photos, you can leave comments directly by clicking on the "view author's post" link; for forum threads, simply post a reply.
Ah, that's good. I just didn't see any links in the examples I checked so I thought that it was impossible to comment.
10-13-2012, 02:27 PM   #15
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
IE, a flickr link won't get tagged?
Unfortunately not, as we don't have any metadata for those shots. Only photos uploaded here can be indexed, and they will only show up if they contain EXIF data.

Adam