Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2012, 02:45 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Most toilet tissue is white and I have always assumed the same about most alleged white paper reports.

10-14-2012, 02:50 PM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Speaking of toilet tissue...If not waterproof, at least we know of one thing that they will resist

Steve
10-14-2012, 04:00 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Speaking of toilet tissue...If not waterproof, at least we know of one thing that they will resist
I've been working and consulting for some 40 years now. I have watched companies tell paying customers what they will buy, only to watch the customer award the contract to some other company that actually offered the customer what they asked for.

I saw it again this year. A company told the customer that they did not understand their own requirements, and that they would not make a change (that was pretty simple and straight forward - not any rocket science), that they understood better what the customer needed, than what the customer clearly asked for. They did not get the contract. For some reason, the executives are still there. But I digress.....

Upon seeing this ad once again - and I wish it would fall into the bit bucket - to never be seen again..... It's stuff like this that you just can not make up. You have to wonder what is going on inside the establishment - what are they thinking? Are they thinking?

I do have to say, that I am repeatedly impressed with marketing ideas, approaches and insights shown by this Forum.

10-14-2012, 04:31 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So, how I am reading this whole thing is incorrect?. Pentax advertises the WG2 as a JIS 8, "rated for continuous submersion". Down to 40 foot depth as per their "own agreement with the customer" ie, "as advertised". And it is not so?.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 10-14-2012 at 04:54 PM.
10-14-2012, 05:27 PM   #20
Site Supporter

My w90 leaked at 20 ft for 15 minutes at 70 F.
10-14-2012, 05:35 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
My w90 leaked at 20 ft for 15 minutes at 70 F.
Was it still under warranty?. Could have been a "bad copy". Like the K30 that could not handle being splashed on.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 10-14-2012 at 05:42 PM.
10-14-2012, 05:41 PM   #22
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Was it still under warranty?.
It was 30 days out.

10-14-2012, 05:46 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It was 30 days out.
Damn, that just sucks.
10-14-2012, 06:28 PM   #24
Site Supporter

Damn, that just sucks.
l turned it off. When i got out of water, I took out battery and card then put it in an air tight bowl with a pound of silica gel for a month. It is ok but I only use it as a weather proof camera now.
10-16-2012, 10:23 PM   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

So, how I am reading this whole thing is incorrect?. Pentax advertises the WG2 as a JIS 8, "rated for continuous submersion". Down to 40 foot depth as per their "own agreement with the customer" ie, "as advertised". And it is not so?.
The standard has no specification other than the seals must be better than grade 7 (1 meter for 30 minutes).

As for whether the camera will leak at 40' is hard to say. Anyone care to spend the $$ to buy a new WG2 and take it diving with them? My guess is that it would not last a full-tank dive at that depth and it would also be my expectation that if the camera was received by C.R.I.S. with water in it that it would be deemed damaged by abuse.

Lest anybody get me wrong, I think that the waterproof Pentax cameras are great units. I also think that they are as good as any similar products on the market (most of which also claim JIS grade 8). Would I take any of them deeper than a meter or so in calm water or into white water or into surf and expect it to survive...Nope...

Steve
10-16-2012, 10:25 PM   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

...It is ok but I only use it as a weather proof camera now.

Steve
10-16-2012, 10:29 PM   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Upon seeing this ad once again - and I wish it would fall into the bit bucket - to never be seen again..... It's stuff like this that you just can not make up. You have to wonder what is going on inside the establishment - what are they thinking? Are they thinking?
We will see how long this copy stays up. The last time I posted a version of this, it was pulled from Flickr after about a week. I suppose I could always host it myself...

Steve
10-17-2012, 03:48 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
I love my Pentax dSLR, but my past several digital P&S cameras have been Olympus. Olympus will usually offer an inexpensive OEM housing as an option rated for continuous submersion to either 30m or 40m. This includes their weatherproof cameras. Their cameras also include 1 or more scene selections specifically for underwater use. The housings bring all controls to the exterior in an oversized form for use with gloves; I've put my camera in the housing for outdoor winter solely for this reason. The downside is the U.S. distributor rarely sells these housings; typically you have to go online and order from the Chinese or Japanese distributor.

Sony has done the same for some of its P&S cameras.