50mm 1.7

pentax af360fgz flash

im trying to hold out until a pentax ff

what would you do?

10-14-2012, 03:05 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would go ahead and get a K-5. At the current price, it's a steal, and it feels much, much more responsive than the K-20.

If you care at all about video, you may want to get a K-30 instead, but I'd generally say that the K-5 is the better upgrade if you're coming from a K20D.

Be sure to check out our K-30 and K-5 reviews, BTW:
Pentax K-30 Camera Review - Introduction - PentaxForums.com
Pentax K-5 Camera Review - Introduction - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-14-2012, 03:29 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
If y were you, i would buy a k5
10-14-2012, 03:32 PM   #4
HSV
Veteran Member

I've went from the k20d to the k-5 recently...and so far, I'm liking it. Handling is very good, button placement is a lot better than the k20d. High ISO performance is superb and the AF seems to be a lot more decisive than the K20d.

The only thing I don't like is that I have to dial -4 on the AF compensation with the K-5 (thankfully it seems to be a good number for every lens I have), but I had been using 0 in the k20d with all my lenses.

Well, according to the folks at DXO (a few weeks ago), the K-5 is the best APS-C there is, sensor-wise.

10-14-2012, 03:37 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by photoman1 Quote
im trying to hold out until a pentax ff
Why? What does a FF hold for you that you miss now and that the K-5 doesn't have? I don't get this FF-fever at all, it's not that an FF is "a better camera" or something. It is a different camera that may perform better at some things, worsen in others. TANSTAAFL

If you do not have the why, I don't have an answer. I have both the K20D and the K-5 and I'd agree the K-5 clearly is better in a lot of areas, one of them being responsiveness - it knows what I want before I want it. But I didn't think the K20D was a slouch either and at lower ISO's I'd still be hard-pressed to distinguish between the files/prints of both. I made sure to change filenames on the K20D to AMG0XXXX and on the K-5 to BMG0XXXX (My A and my B camera) just so It'd be easier to spot the difference.

If money is no issue. get the K-5 II. Waiting for an FF would mean you get the first model, with all of the teething problems anyway. Why subject yourself to that if you have no specific need for an FF like weddings, studio, models or fashion?
10-14-2012, 03:47 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
FF considerations:
better dynamic range and low-light superiority
both of which could be useful to me

again can i wait 2 years??
10-14-2012, 04:02 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sure you can, the question is, is it worth it, missing all those great shots meanwhile.

10-14-2012, 04:14 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have traveled the same route as you, K100D -> K20 and in January upgraded to the K5. The camera is wonderful!!!! If you are looking for better dynamic range and low-light superiority, then the K5 is it. DR is all there, especially with ISO80. Low light - and I shoot ambient low light 'scapes (landscapes and cityscapes), the K5 puts the K20 to shame and the K20 I really really liked. The only other accessory you need is a tripod with a good head. I always buy at the end of the model production run. Camera is debugged and solid, along with a good price.

You can wait a bit for the K5II and K5IIs, but the prices will be higher. I do like the focus peaking capability on the K30, but I like the ISO80 better, so that is why I would go for the K5. Everything is always a compromise, and I really do not see any downsides here.

10-14-2012, 07:45 PM   #9
Veteran Member

FF considerations:

FF does not necessarily mean better dynamic range. Just look at the Canon 5 DMKII, DR is way behind the K5
10-14-2012, 07:55 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Have to agree with the K5 verdict. The K20 d has been and is a great workhorse for me, but the K5 brought back the enjoyment I got from shooting when I bought the K10d. It is a great camera and you'de be missing out waiting for a new model.
10-14-2012, 08:19 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Get the K-5! I was blown away when I migrated from the K20D--so much so I sold the K20D I had intended to keep as a back up and bought a second K-5.
10-15-2012, 02:07 AM   #12
Forum Member

FF considerations:

The K-5 is, probably, the third best low light camera.. of ALL of them. The includes FF with it holding it's own against the MkIII to 25,600 and ditto cameras like the D3S.

I can't speak of comparing the dynamic range, but for low light performance it's staggeringly good and although a FF may be better, it's into the realms of 'marginally' rather than massively.
10-15-2012, 12:10 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
how does the AF in the k-5 compare to the k20d and k-5 ii
10-15-2012, 12:28 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I went from a K20D to a K5. I wish I had done it sooner. The DR is much better. So is the "feel".
10-15-2012, 09:22 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

how does the AF in the k-5 compare to the k20d and k-5 ii
The K20 use to hunt often for me, however you need to take in to account that I shoot ambient low light (late afternoons, evening and night), so I just flip to manual focusing. The K5 in the same conditions hunts less, it does have the focus assist light. However, there is a threshold that after you go trough, you are in the land of manual focusing. How much difference there is, is difficult to quantify. Different folks will evaluate it differently due to their shooting styles. YMMV....

From the Pentax "marketing releases", the II and IIs have the improved -3ev AF based sensor (as opposed to the -1ev K5 sensor). How much difference it makes - you are going to have to wait till the first adopters and the folks getting the initial bodies come out with their reviews and evaluations. Will it or are they worth the additional ~$500. I guess that is between you and your checkbook ( or wife / significant other / Chancellor of the Exchequer).