Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2007, 01:17 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by i.glisin Quote
Thus, formatting cards and deleting all pictures is NOT the same thing. Here is why: Deletion actually works by marking data blocks (sectors on hard drive) as available for re-use, so if nothing gets saved to blocks marked as deleted (in fact "available") turning back that indicator to "in-use" would apparently restore data (in fact, already stored data just becomes visible again). In contrast, formatting recreates the structure of the memory media, creating everything from scratch including empty data blocks. Along the way formatting checks media for defects and performs other housekeeping tasks. Once done, all is gone.
I must say that you are completely wrong.

SD cards use FAT16 file system. In FAT 16 neither delete nor format does not erase actual data from disk. Both delete and format just modify FAT (File Allocation Table). In case of format, new "clean" FAT is written. In case of delete, entry, pointing to the file is deleted.

In both cases data is left on disk/memory card intact and can be recovered as long as new data isn't overwritten over it.

I won't go into details of FAT16, if you want you can search Google and you'll find more than enough details on it.

In case of Amanda I suspect that she is doing something wrong. When you do it right, you'll recofer data from formatted card.

01-08-2007, 02:58 PM   #17
roy
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
sorry, this is what i used
PhotoRec - CGSecurity
just a different link to the same site. hope you haven't wrote anything to the card.
01-10-2007, 08:35 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
I must say that you are completely wrong. ... I won't go into details of FAT16, if you want you can search Google and you'll find more than enough details on it.
I may indeed need to refresh my knowledge, but I was writing myself disk recovery utilities for FAT16 in Borland Turbo C 2.0 (obviously a long time ago) so FAT16 itself is not the point of confusion here, creating a new file system on a brand new and never formatted card is: does that really work without verifying the media? If so, why is formatting not working (much) faster?
01-12-2007, 06:39 PM   #19

Original Poster
how do i download the PhotoRec program?

01-12-2007, 07:15 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Are you seriously still working on getting the photos off that card? You must have more patience than I, but then again, I know that I don't (didn't?) have very many keepers on the first card I ran through the camera.
01-12-2007, 07:57 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bdavis Quote
You must have more patience than I
Oooh! Oooh! Someone who agrees with me on this little grammatical point!!! You wouldn't believe the stupid circular arguements I've had with my husband on this one...

Sorry, totally off-topic but I just had to acknowledge a rarely-observed form of grammar. Yup, I'm a grammar nerd, guilty as charged, I'll go quietly now officer.

Julie
01-12-2007, 08:30 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by foxglove Quote
Oooh! Oooh! Someone who agrees with me on this little grammatical point!!! You wouldn't believe the stupid circular arguements I've had with my husband on this one...
Well, you've found one more who agrees with you too. Why?

"You must have more patience than me do" sounds very silly. It MUST be I.

Officer, arrest me too.

Amanda - I'm surprised that you have been searching frantically for a fix to your dilemna. I was actually going to follow up to this post but I haven't found the recovery program I used on an xD card at work. I'm sorry for taking so long.

01-13-2007, 06:17 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alvin Quote
"You must have more patience than me do" sounds very silly. It MUST be I.
That's the logic I use. My husband's logic is so illogical that I can't remember what it is. I must ask, and I probably still won't get it.

Okay, enough grammar geekiness, sorry to hijack your thread Amanda. I'd give up on those images if I were you, all of my early efforts were trash and I wish I could bring myself to delete them all!

Julie
01-16-2007, 09:57 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Amanda,

I haven't forgotten this. Here is a link to the software my company used recently. We used it on an SD card and some xD (Olympus/Fuji cameras) cards it seemed to work alright.

VAIOSoft, Inc - Recovery Manager - Photo Recovery, Data Reocovery, Music Recovery , Movie Recovery for Digital Flim Medias

Cheers.
01-19-2007, 07:33 PM   #25

Original Poster
i installed the program that you linked me to Alvin, and i clicked on recover. it said it was recovering files for a while. it said that it recovered all the files but then when i tried to view them it said that no files were detected on the card. did i do something wrong or is this program not going to work?
thank you,
Amanda
01-19-2007, 07:46 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Amanda,

When the program was running, it was trying to read the card to see if anything could be recovered. You reported back that it found nothing. I'm sorry. Not much else left
01-19-2007, 08:08 PM   #27

Original Poster
yes but it said that it had successfully recovered 331 files
01-19-2007, 08:35 PM   #28
Forum Member

At work I recover lost / deleted / damaged images on memory cards. I use a Lexar Image Recovery app, I'll check the name at work tommorow. I'm successful about 90% of the time in recovering images. It has a few quirks, and the instructions are a joke, but it works, so I'm not complaining....
01-19-2007, 09:13 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AmandaJL Quote
yes but it said that it had successfully recovered 331 files
Recovered 331? That might be good! The program could have dumped the files somewhere on your C: Drive. Open My Computer, Right click on your C: and click Search (or is it Find). When the menu appears, search for *.jpg. I'm guessing that it put the pictures in a Vaiosoft folder or a recovered folder. You should see all 331 pictures in the same folder.

I'm reinstalling the program into my home laptop right now to see what the default dump folder is.

Good Luck!
01-19-2007, 09:22 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Amanda,

Open My Computer and double click your C: drive. In there you should see a Recover folder. The files should be in there.
Silly me.

Hope those are your pictures!