Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2007, 04:44 PM   #1

pictures gone!

And it's Amanda yet again. i was going through my menu trying all the different things and i went into 'format' under setup. i clicked on format to see what would happen and now my pictures are all gone! is there any way to get them back? i really hope so.
thanks,
Amanda

01-02-2007, 04:50 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I heard there was a way to retrieve them if you delete them but don't know how or what programs are used. But I would say if you format the card with the pictures on they're gone. I'm also sorry to hear you did this

Good Shooting.
Cheers: David
01-02-2007, 04:54 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oh Dear!

Hi Amanda,
I don't have the K10D but I would hazard guess that the manual is very similar to that of the DS & DL in that in the very first line on page 1 (inside front cover) it says "...please read manual before using the camera..." and if you had, you would have read the section about formatting your SD card and the warning about losing ALL Data.

I very kindly suggest that you now read the manual, with your camera at your side, so as you can practice as you go.

Bad luck mate, it happens.
Cheers
Grant
01-02-2007, 04:59 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Head to google for data recovery software. You might luck out, but I'd just start taking more pictures to replace the ones you lost.

01-02-2007, 05:04 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AmandaJL Quote
i was going through my menu trying all the different things and i went into 'format' under setup. i clicked on format to see what would happen and now my pictures are all gone! is there any way to get them back? i really hope so.

Amanda,

Curiosity is a great thing, but I'm sure you realize now that it's a good idea to explore the camera while reading the manual. Those buttons and options actually do things - and it's better to know before you say OK what is going to happen than to find out afterwards.

Now, to address your question. First, DON'T USE THE CARD until you have decided whether you're going to take the trouble to recover the images or not.

You do have options. Many card manufacturers include free copies of image recovery software with their cards, so check the box that came with your card. Lexar's product is called Image Rescue; the software that comes with some SanDisk cards is called RescuePro. Or check out PhotoRescue, which is not tied to a specific brand.

Good luck!

Will
01-02-2007, 05:08 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
Many card manufacturers include free copies of image recovery software with their cards, so check the box that came with your card. Lexar's product is called Image Rescue; the software that comes with some SanDisk cards is called RescuePro. Or check out PhotoRescue, which is not tied to a specific brand.

I should add two points to my earlier message.

First, I haven't used any of these programs, so I'm not recommending anything here, just passing on the URLs for what they may be worth. Proceed with caution and at your own risk.

Second, I might mention that, although I was aware of the products I mentioned already, my immediate source for the URLs was page 102 of the Magic Lantern Guide series book on the Pentax K100D/K110D by Joe Farace. This is an excellent little book. I find it much more readable and more informative than the users guide that came with the camera.

Will
01-02-2007, 05:17 PM   #7
Veteran Member

And it's Amanda yet again. i was going through my menu trying all the different things and i went into 'format' under setup. i clicked on format to see what would happen and now my pictures are all gone! is there any way to get them back? i really hope so.
Amanda
Yes, you can. If you do it right, you'll recover them all.

First of all -- don't write anything onto your card. Don't take pictures into that card.
Get card reader if you haven't done it yet -- the only way to recover your pictures is to connect your card to PC.
Get data recovery programs:
Freeware downloads System Utilities - Data Recovery Tools at SnapFiles.com
Shareware downloads System Utilities - Data Recovery Tools at SnapFiles.com

then trye a few of those programs.

As I said: if you do it right you'll recover everything.

BTW, formatting is preferred way to erase all files from memory card, it is better and quicker than delete all

01-02-2007, 05:45 PM   #8

Original Poster
ok thanks everyone. i have to get a card reader anyway because my computer doesnt recognize my camera. so when i get that i will try some of the prograsm you have suggested.
thanks again,
Amanda
01-02-2007, 09:10 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Important Tip!

Amanda, you should be able to recover the data from your card with the software mentioned in earlier posts IF you haven't done anything after you formatted it ie. take more pictures, formatted again, etc.

Keep the card in a safe place until you get the recovery software. If you need to take more pictures before you get that card reader, buy another SD Card (they are fairly cheap now anyways).

Good luck recovering your photos!
01-02-2007, 10:51 PM   #10
Veteran Member

For SD- card you shuld use PC inspector smart recovery, "PC inspector file recovery" is for hard disc.
01-02-2007, 11:11 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by Bophoto Quote
For SD- card you shuld use PC inspector smart recovery, "PC inspector file recovery" is for hard disc.
Yes. My fault for posting the wrong link.
01-07-2007, 04:10 PM   #12

Original Poster
so i got a card reader and am now able to successfully transfer pictures from my camera to my computer. unfortunately ive tried all of the data recovery programs you all suggested and none worked. so should i keep holding off taking pictures until i find one that works or is there even any hope that i will find one since i tried about five already that have failed? thanks for your suggestions.
Amanda
01-07-2007, 10:58 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Formatting vs. deleting

so i got a card reader and am now able to successfully transfer pictures from my camera to my computer. unfortunately ive tried all of the data recovery programs you all suggested and none worked.
Formatting on most devices and file systems permanently deletes data. It is unrecoverable with software tools. Deleted pictures can be restored if no new pictures are saved overwriting previously saved data.

Thus, formatting cards and deleting all pictures is NOT the same thing. Here is why: Deletion actually works by marking data blocks (sectors on hard drive) as available for re-use, so if nothing gets saved to blocks marked as deleted (in fact "available") turning back that indicator to "in-use" would apparently restore data (in fact, already stored data just becomes visible again). In contrast, formatting recreates the structure of the memory media, creating everything from scratch including empty data blocks. Along the way formatting checks media for defects and performs other housekeeping tasks. Once done, all is gone.
01-07-2007, 11:19 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by i.glisin Quote
Formatting on most devices and file systems permanently deletes data. It is unrecoverable with software tools. Deleted pictures can be restored if no new pictures are saved overwriting previously saved data.
So this is one major difference between my old smartmedia and SD. When I format my smartmedia I can still recover but with SD you can't? Must be quite "Secure" then. Thanks for the clarification and sorry about this Amanda.
01-08-2007, 07:10 AM   #15
roy
Inactive Account

have not read this whole thread but i used this recently
TestDisk - CGSecurity
it's really amazing.