Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2012, 10:03 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Pentax europe did it again

Last year i suffered an accident in cannes. at the end a car bump me and my pentax 16-50 2,8, and flash 540 broke. they were in bad conditions, but i was safe

i send it to pentax europe. In europe pentax has sold the repairing service to a french company. Since then the price have skyrocketed, and tecno 2000 the italian pentax repairer confirmed this to me. Since french are the official repairer things in europe are a mess.

you know what? they asked me 1400 euro. for reapairing a flash and a lens!!! at the end i paid half because after talking with a pentax resp they probably understood they had gone a bit too far trying to make profit.

the lens had both zoom and focus system remake.

in the last month i noticed a stiff movement from the zoom. sometimes it blocked and sometimes it was very hard to turn. As a professional photog, i love this lens, i decided not to send the lens cause sending it back meant at least 1 month without it. I was stupidly wrong. Walking in kiev less than a month ago. the lens blocked completely at 50. I mean blocked. Only after a strong turn it could come back to 16, after some minute again a nother blocks and this time a the lens come back to 16 but the zoom in practice become loose.

i send it to pentax and talking with pentax rep , indicating them that the lens hadn't had any accident, any bump, and probably the zoom barrel they have put not even 12 months ago, was defective.

today they send me a labour document. 442!!! euro!! and written BUMP.

so now the things are two:

- the bump was so strong that broke the zoom, but leaving marks and signs on the body of the lens at least

-the lens broke after a bump that not even left a little mark on the body. That should say something about the durabiity and resistance of these two lenses. In my opinion theses lenses are made no to last. their mount is a joke for example. i have also many sigma lenses and they are much much better made and built.

I'ma pentax professional user for 5 year. Never complaint about the sdm, 3 failure, slow af and all the other problem linked to use pentax. but now the things are really impossible, at least in europe. astronomical price of repairing and buying lenses.

For sure i won't fix the lens, probably i will try to send in italy to some repairing shop and look if they can fix it for normal price. once a repairer told me sdm they cannot but for other parts they can try. so let's see.

in case i will sit down and try to understand what to do. Probably i will buy only sigma lenses with 5 years of warranty. Maybe sell all my pentax gears, not buy the 645d has i had planned, and move to nikon. Only in my city there are 4 5 service of nikon, and you see them in the face when you have a problem.

Pentax for me is not more a safe bet. Maybe in usa or japan things are different. but here in europe business is this. beware of this when you buy a lens from pentax. their bill in case of repairing is this. sdm broken 400 euro...zoom 440 euro!! to repair 2 plastic barrel of the zoom..!!

10-17-2012, 10:47 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Have you perhaps written a formal complaint to Pentax? Seems to me like you were giving you a hard time just to make more money. Paying the cost of the equipment for repairs is...a bit absurd, honestly. Only thing I can think is that you sent them some FUBAR gear. (IE: Lens in three pieces, two elements shattered and a group dismounted) Doesn't sound like that's the case though.
10-17-2012, 11:09 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Eulogy Quote
Have you perhaps written a formal complaint to Pentax? Seems to me like you were giving you a hard time just to make more money. Paying the cost of the equipment for repairs is...a bit absurd, honestly. Only thing I can think is that you sent them some FUBAR gear. (IE: Lens in three pieces, two elements shattered and a group dismounted) Doesn't sound like that's the case though.
last year after they asked me 1500 for a flash 540 and the pentax 16-50 da lense, bought in very bad condition, i complaint
and they asked me 50%. so i paid. Now i wrote to the resp. of pentax europe directly before sending it. The result is they
claim the lens has had a bump and so the damage is not linked to their fixing made last year.

Things are two:

- the zoom broke for a bump that not even left a marks in the barrel

- they are lying

for me both the da* zoom are made not to last, even comapred to sigma lenses. i have a 10-20 sigma that fall from 50 cm and nothing happend, the pentax would have been destroyed.
the lens is immaculate after last year i treat it like a son. I'm a destroyer i admit, because of my style of photo and the fact i travel a lot to take pictures. But this lens i treat
with silk gloves.

i know they are trying to make money. the problem is this. But it's not me. it's the problem of pentax repairng service. the price are this, if not nobody can fix it, for example sdm are fixable only in germany and france. pentax has outsorced the repairing services to a french company, and they began charging this price for every repair.
The italian ex repairing service told me that they are crazy, and that since they took command everything is like this.

Tomorrow i will send a complaint and a proposal. let's look what they answer. In case i will tak it to a service repairer that probably can fix it, only sdm needs a special machine, and we'll see how much they will ask. For sure i won't buy anymore lenses from pentax, at least sigma gives 5 years, and probably i will seel most if not all my pentax gears. I had planned to buy a used 645d plus lens for very good price, but how can i invest in pentax knowing that every lidamages cost an arm and a leg.
10-17-2012, 11:11 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Eulogy Quote

lastyear a cr bumped me and the lens was like you said dismantled. they change optical elements sdm all zoom and autofocus group, in practice everything.
thay asked 820 for this fixing. then they lower it 50% after complaint.

their document says: CHANGING ZOOM BARREL

they ask me 442!! even the 820 euro of last year seems more normal than this.

10-17-2012, 11:57 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What a nightmare. I'd complain to Corporate in Japan, and on the Facebook page. I doubt bad feedback to the group in France is making its way to Japan.
10-17-2012, 11:59 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think you need to get a letter to Pentax Ricoh in Japan. Hoya didn't care that much about the business, and they nearly destroyed it in many ways. Ricoh is heavily investing in it and cares a lot.

This situation will greatly harm Pentax' reputation and sales in Europe. Ricoh needs to be aware of this so they can fix it. The Pentax Europe employees you dealt with are probably from the Hoya era, and they need to either change their practices or be replaced.
10-17-2012, 01:34 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jonny1986 Quote
SNIP Maybe in usa or japan things are different. SNIP
I'm from the USA and share your dissatisfaction with Pentax service. My concern has been quality rather than cost. Staff is either lazy, ignorant, or pressured by managers to close tickets immediately without spending any time investigating - I can't tell which one and maybe all three apply. For example, PDCU was crashing and the reply was "Japan hasn't told us that the software has bugs. Please contact us if we can help with anything else."