Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2012, 08:07 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Studio Test Shot...K5-IIs

I'm not sure if it is appropriate to post link to other site, but cannot help myself sharing this: some side by side studio test shots using k-5, k-5II, and k-5IIs.

check this out:
Studio Test Shot...K5-IIs!: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
(To administrator: If this link is not allowed, please remove it.)

Or google "Studio Test Shot...K5-IIs!"

10-17-2012, 08:11 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow, look how much sharper the IIs is compared to the II - near night and day difference!
10-17-2012, 09:15 PM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for the heads up! Very excited. I sure hope the autofocus is significantly better.
10-17-2012, 09:44 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Looking at the tabletop shot, there is more microcontrast in the K-5IIs images, but I cannot see more resolution. That does not mean more resolution is not possible under some conditions.

10-17-2012, 09:48 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by civiletti Quote
Looking at the tabletop shot, there is more microcontrast in the K-5IIs images, but I cannot see more resolution. That does not mean more resolution is not possible under some conditions.
I can see some more fine detail. So, looks good. In the detail of the model's hair viewed at full-size, you can clearly see the difference -- that is just the sort of "mush" that I'd like to get rid of at large print sizes.
10-17-2012, 10:44 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
I can see some more fine detail. So, looks good. In the detail of the model's hair viewed at full-size, you can clearly see the difference -- that is just the sort of "mush" that I'd like to get rid of at large print sizes.

Perhaps you are seeing the result of subject movement.
10-17-2012, 10:48 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Perhaps you are seeing the result of subject movement.
Nope. Why do you say that?

10-17-2012, 11:20 PM   #8

The static scene was described as having been lit by two continuous light sources, exposed at 1/125th second.

The model is also captured at 1/125th second, thus might also be lit by continuous light instead of motion freezing flash.
10-18-2012, 12:18 AM   #9
Veteran Member

On the other forum it is said that the shot was made at f11; diffraction limits the resolution
10-18-2012, 01:37 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Of critics and doubters there is no end. I think he took the shots properly. He has a reputation and he knows what he's doing. Now if Pentax had given the camera to one of us ... I guess they didn't because we're overqualified.

Many of us should be able to see for ourselves by the end of the month. This gives me hope that I may like the results. I don't think our little nit-pics are enough to negate the entire result. I also don't think Pentax would brag about the difference so much if it didn't have some merit. Their engineers are much more skilled in these matters than I am, and I'm guessing that goes for everyone else here as well.

Just as much, I'm looking forward to the improved AF, which he stated is the best AF Pentax has had so far. That's the real reason I ordered the camera - because I believed them when they said the AF is better. It's about the only selling point the K-5 II has, so I figured they couldn't get away with saying it if it weren't true. Most of the time I'm using an f/2.8 or faster lens, so in theory it should help. But I figured since I already have a K-5, I should go for the maximum number of upgraded features. I couldn't resist getting to see for myself just how good the AA-less model is.

Last edited by DSims; 10-18-2012 at 01:47 AM.
10-18-2012, 11:06 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
Of critics and doubters there is no end. I think he took the shots properly. He has a reputation and he knows what he's doing. Now if Pentax had given the camera to one of us ... I guess they didn't because we're overqualified.

Many of us should be able to see for ourselves by the end of the month. This gives me hope that I may like the results. I don't think our little nit-pics are enough to negate the entire result. I also don't think Pentax would brag about the difference so much if it didn't have some merit. Their engineers are much more skilled in these matters than I am, and I'm guessing that goes for everyone else here as well.

Just as much, I'm looking forward to the improved AF, which he stated is the best AF Pentax has had so far. That's the real reason I ordered the camera - because I believed them when they said the AF is better. It's about the only selling point the K-5 II has, so I figured they couldn't get away with saying it if it weren't true. Most of the time I'm using an f/2.8 or faster lens, so in theory it should help. But I figured since I already have a K-5, I should go for the maximum number of upgraded features. I couldn't resist getting to see for myself just how good the AA-less model is.

This is not a political campaign. I hope the K-5IIs is superior. If so, I'll get one, but jumping to conclusins on the basis of a few samples is foolhardy. Look at the tabletop shot. The AA-less images have more microcontrast for sure, but I see no added resolution. I can see more resolution in the K-5IIs image of the model, but at 1/125" with continuous light, it is not possible to eliminate subject movement as a possible explanation. The M100/4 is likely about as sharp at f11 as the M50, so why is there no more resolution in the tabletop K-5IIs image?
10-18-2012, 11:46 AM   #12
Pentaxian

This is not a political campaign. I hope the K-5IIs is superior. If so, I'll get one, but jumping to conclusins on the basis of a few samples is foolhardy. Look at the tabletop shot. The AA-less images have more microcontrast for sure, but I see no added resolution. I can see more resolution in the K-5IIs image of the model, but at 1/125" with continuous light, it is not possible to eliminate subject movement as a possible explanation. The M100/4 is likely about as sharp at f11 as the M50, so why is there no more resolution in the tabletop K-5IIs image?
I can see some extra detail in there. It is hard to really tell looking at jpgs of screenshots though. But it is certainly superior at the pixel level getting rid of that microblur. I'm sure we will be flooded with examples once it is released widely...
10-24-2012, 01:09 AM   #13
Pentaxian

FWIW, I wrote a small article on the "Pros and Cons of Omitting an AA-filter".