Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2008, 06:45 PM   #1
Veteran Member

question about k1xxd onboard flash..

when you put the flash in manual, does it still emit pre-flashes? if so, are they too fast for the flash to work as an optical trigger for a non-smart sensor?

02-06-2008, 07:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by OniFactor Quote
when you put the flash in manual, does it still emit pre-flashes? if so, are they too fast for the flash to work as an optical trigger for a non-smart sensor?
There is no actual manual mode for the built in flash. The setting described as "manual flash" just means "flash forced on", as opposed to "automatically decide whether a flash is needed". Either way, it does the pre-flash, and that will trigger your non-smart sensor too soon.
02-07-2008, 08:47 AM   #3
krs
Site Supporter

Can you expand on the comment "... will trigger your non-smart sensor too soon."?
02-07-2008, 10:13 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I worked on that problem the other day with my K100D and a Sigma EF - 500 DG Super

If your flash is anything like mine (I bought it for my Sigma SD14 camera) you can set it up as a slave, and get respectable results.
However you do have to program it manually.

if you want to you can get a general idea of what settings I used on this thread.

If you have any problems with it I might be able to help you out, but I'll be gone for several days. So please don't expect an answer right away.

02-07-2008, 08:04 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
I worked on that problem the other day with my K100D and a Sigma EF - 500 DG Super

If your flash is anything like mine (I bought it for my Sigma SD14 camera) you can set it up as a slave, and get respectable results.
However you do have to program it manually.

if you want to you can get a general idea of what settings I used on this thread.

If you have any problems with it I might be able to help you out, but I'll be gone for several days. So please don't expect an answer right away.

so.. wait. the sigma can synch with the two pulses?? tell me more, when you get back!
02-09-2008, 01:07 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
i just thought of something.

if i use a cheap flash with a manual setting and no TTL, it'll only have one pulse, right?