Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2012, 08:58 AM   #1

Pentax K-5 IIs... Where Are You???

We keep hearing the K-5 II and IIs models are coming.... but WHEN? Pentax Japan intentionally doesn't want people contacting them (NICE!) and Pentax USA is as useless as tits on a bandsaw! "Yeah... uhuhhh... we know nothing... NOTHING..." How the hell do you operate a company and your U.S. Division hasn't a CLUE when or where your latest DSLR is going to arrive. That stifles the imagination. I've run several companies and couldn't imagine having such inefficiency in any operation, especially one the size of Pentax.

Come On Pentax... is anyone home?

10-18-2012, 10:22 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Hi,
I have the same feeling. I just moved to Germany from US. And it was much easier to get Pentax products in US than it is here. Even information is hard to find. I sent emails to all official dealers listed on Pentax Germany webpage regarding Pentax K5II and K5IIs - and got not replies. Furthermore, I contacted Pentax Germany - and they said that they do not know when the cameras are coming. This makes me feel a bit disappointed since I was really considering to buy K5IIs. Especially that when I went to local Madiamarkt store to get a keyboard they had Canon 5DIII, Nikon D800 and Nikon D600. All were there - not just labeled as in stock but really present in the store. So why Nikon and Canon can hold to the announced starting date and Pentax can not do that?
I really like my K5 but the most I like Pentax lenses. I do not think I can build the same system with Canon or Nikon for the same money. But, things like this makes me feel a bit strange about the company politics. It looks like a disrespect of their customers. It is like if I would make a promise and will not fulfill it.
I do not want to hurt anyone with this post. It is just my feeling about the situation.
Best regards,
Yuriy
10-18-2012, 10:23 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hurry up and Wait....

Yes, Pentax USA replied to my email today saying:
"The only info we have from Pentax Japan is that the K5II and IIs are supposed to be available SOMETIME in October"

Trick or Treat......
10-18-2012, 10:24 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Some of the reviewers seem to have them already -- it must be soon...

10-18-2012, 10:33 AM   #5

Original Poster
And How...

I've spoken to Pentax USA several times and they seem to know absolutely nothing, which flat out amazes me that their own company would leave them clueless. I guess with the CEO of Pentax USA stepping down, some policy changes may be taking place; perhaps thats all part of the lack of communication. I hear Pentax is big in Japan, I just don't think they get how big they could be in the U.S. Who knows.... maybe they just don't care! I sold my Canon 5DII four months ago in anticipation of the K-5 IIs model and I'm past anxious... now I'm just irritated that no one knows anything... it's like Hurricane Katrina all over again, lol. The 5DII is great if you shoot weddings or sports, not so much for landscapes and architecture. My images were always coming out unsharp compared to what I shoot on MF film. I believe it has to do with two things: 1) the anti-aliasing filter in the 5DII is too strong IMHO and 2) the dynamic range isn't as good as it should be for a FF 35mm DSLR. After two years of working with Photoshop and Lightroom to sharpen my images I just put it all up for sale and I'm glad I did! Canon cameras have a market but for a landscape shooter, their equipment is simply unintuitive. Dials aren't where they should be, cable release is a pain and is backwards IMHO... my old Hasselblad H2 was so much more intuitive and so much easier to work with, unlike the hassle of having to be a computer engineer to change Canon's setting in the field.

Anyway, enough rambling about Canon... I'm seriously looking forward to the K-5 IIs but they are getting egregiously close to my deadline for needing the camera. Wouldn't it be nice if Pentax actually read these forums and took notice :-0 :-)
10-18-2012, 11:24 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Ok, I know this doesn't help anyone not in the UK, but a UK supplier - SRS - will have all the new goodies, including the 560mm lens, at an open day on 3rd November, so don't give up hope guys!
10-18-2012, 12:10 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Dunno... Our importer moved the arrival date to November.

10-18-2012, 12:39 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I believe a Pentax rep somewhere quoted on the forum stated that demand for the K-5 IIs was way beyond what they expected. While he didn't specifically mention the K-5 II, I wonder if it's the same. Has the Japaneese market got them yet? I don't know if these points have any relevance. I'm just glad I didn't line up to get mine like all those Apple dudes. Everyone would have gone home by now and the papers would be full of "Hundreds of thousands of Apple customers left in the lurch after waiting weeks in line." I guess cause it's just Pentax no one cares. I'm sure if I phone the Star with the story, they'll probaly be like "Who is Pentax and what do they make again?"
10-18-2012, 12:45 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I heard that they will be shipping in Canada on the 26th of Oct., but that's not the USA...
10-18-2012, 01:00 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
I heard that they will be shipping in Canada on the 26th of Oct., but that's not the USA...
OK panoguy, fess up.... why were you asking?

I just want them out soon enough that there could be a price drop before Christmas...
10-18-2012, 02:28 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
OK panoguy, fess up.... why were you asking?

I just want them out soon enough that there could be a price drop before Christmas...
I was actually asking about the Q10, but you know how these releases go...

Which reminds me, time to pre-order that nummy silver Q10! Who'll get my pre-money? Vistek, Henry's, Aden or Downtown Camera?
10-18-2012, 05:31 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yurko_yr Quote
Especially that when I went to local Madiamarkt store to get a keyboard they had Canon 5DIII, Nikon D800 and Nikon D600. All were there
I think Nikon executed particularly well on the D600. It was practically available in stores in most countries only a few days after it was announced.

It doesn't always work that way, but if everything is done properly with design, production and distribution, there is no reason why Pentax couldn't perform the same (one day).
10-18-2012, 05:40 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Canada was in Henry's today and asked about the IIs, the guys says they have a completely un-expected number of pre-orders. They have actually had to order a second lot because they have more pre-orders than their whole first order. Then on top of that, they at this point have only a few more than what they need to cover pre-orders. so if the pre-orders keep coming before the 26th... they could be back ordered before they are in the store.
10-18-2012, 06:50 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Canada was in Henry's today and asked about the IIs, the guys says they have a completely un-expected number of pre-orders.
Well, if the whole country was in there asking about the K-5IIs, I'm not surprised they've exceeded their expectations on pre-orders!

You "earlybirds" can enjoy your anti-alias-less-ness while I sneak under the radar with a Q10 and its 5.5x multiplier on my 500mm lens (or 2750mm!). When I want to enjoy the dynamic range of the K-5, I'll just hop in the car and drive over to my subject...
10-18-2012, 06:54 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
Well, if the whole country was in there asking about the K-5IIs, I'm not surprised they've exceeded their expectations on pre-orders!
Sometimes I say some weird things... I didn't even catch that when I re-read it. I meant to say Tess... and 99% of the time she's the only representative of Canada in my house.