Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2008, 08:30 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Dang software!

I found out about Remote Assistant, and got all excited - it looked promising, complete with bulb up to an hour, and repeat tasks.

Sounds like just the thing for astrophotography - don't have to stand around with your finger on the shutter button, or remote button.

It almost all works fine. I say **almost** because I cannot get it to transfer photos from the camera if the photo is too dark!! Well, lots of astro photos will be pretty dark, even scenic nighttime town shots will have a lot of dark. NUTS.

Regular shots with enough light will transfer just fine.

Anyone else have this problem??

Al S.

02-06-2008, 09:15 PM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My guess is (and it's only a guess) this "glitch" is because a digital camera creates a lot of noise even at ISO 100 with long dark exposures. It has to write a second "dark frame" and use that reference frame to map out the noise/hot pixels before saving the image. The sensor gets hot when it's charged for so long taking a timed exposure. So it can't simply take the long exposure and send it to the computer as is. If you turn off NR the camera will not do the dark frame cleanup and it might work (I haven't tried). But be prepared for a noisy picture.
02-07-2008, 07:08 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
My guess is (and it's only a guess) this "glitch" is because a digital camera creates a lot of noise even at ISO 100 with long dark exposures. It has to write a second "dark frame" and use that reference frame to map out the noise/hot pixels before saving the image. The sensor gets hot when it's charged for so long taking a timed exposure. So it can't simply take the long exposure and send it to the computer as is. If you turn off NR the camera will not do the dark frame cleanup and it might work (I haven't tried). But be prepared for a noisy picture.
I'll give that a try.

The exposures weren't that long, some only one second. I tried several settings, fully auto to fully manual. I even tried a couple non remote shots to make sure I was getting a good image. I was, other than the jiggle made just by pushing the shutter. Different ISO, RAW/JPEG.

I also have made a remote, but this software offers such possibilities!

Al
02-07-2008, 10:18 AM   #4
Veteran Member

no advice other than use either the 2 second timer or 12 second timer to eliminate that jiggle made just by pushing the shutter

02-07-2008, 11:51 AM   #5

Remote Assistant works quite unpredictably for me. About 50% of pictures I take never download to computer. It just shows the progress bar moving from beginning to end again and again, but nothing gets downloaded. And I have to turn the camera off to make more pictures, otherwise it says that buffer is full. Then again some day it just works ....
What I have discovered so far is that it works always if I push the shutter button on the camera itself, not the software button.
02-07-2008, 03:48 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks - Stu - DUH! That's an easy way for no jiggle...

procyron... If you use the shutter button for the shutter, then the purpose of Remote Assistant would be... what????

Al S.
02-13-2008, 01:16 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
UPDATE from Pentax...

I submitted the question about the photo transfer to Pentax, and here is their reply:
Al,

What exposure times are you using? There is a known issue with Remote
Assistant ver. 3.00 where the file transfer will hang up when processing
images with exposure times of 2 seconds or longer. This has been
reproduced and submitted to Pentax in Japan. Currently, there are no
workarounds.

Thanks,
Mark Davis
Pentax Imaging Company

Bummer....

Al S.
02-13-2008, 07:08 PM   #8
Site Supporter

I was wondering what camera you had, but the message from Pentax mentions version three Remote Assistant so I presume K10D. The K100D is not supported by R.A. and has lots of issues when used with istD R.A. version 1.x When I bought my K100D at the end of 2006 I figured Pentax would update R.A., "Real Soon Now."