Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2012, 10:13 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
How to send camera in for servicing?

I have a K-x, which I purchased in January 2012. I understand I have a year to send it back for a first service or something, and as it's getting to be around that time, I'd like to go ahead and do that. is there some information about this somewhere?

Charles.

10-21-2012, 09:43 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Also, I'm worried if they'll void my warranty because of my split prism focusing screen...

Charles.
10-21-2012, 11:58 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChopperCharles Quote
I have a K-x, which I purchased in January 2012. I understand I have a year to send it back for a first service or something, and as it's getting to be around that time, I'd like to go ahead and do that. is there some information about this somewhere?

Charles.
Is there something wrong with it?.
Here is C.R.I.S. website. Call or e-mail them to find out what you need to do.Camera Repair by CRIS Camera Services: Digital Camera Repair: Canon, Fuji, Nikon, Pentax, Ricoh, Sigma
10-21-2012, 10:53 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, it has a spot on the sensor I cant' get rid of with a rocket blower or the sensor shake, and it front focuses pretty badly on some of my lenses -- but not all. Problem is bigger with zooms. Some lenses like the 55-300, 50mm f1.7, and Promaster/Pentax 100mm f3.5 macro are fine. But then, some lenses like the F 35-70, 18-55, and Tokina 35-70 will OFTEN miss focus even in bright daylight. You'd think the problem with the f1.7 lens it would be worse, but the 1.7 almost always nails perfect focus.

Mostly I figure, I get a free service, why not have them adjust it and look it over?

Charles.

10-22-2012, 02:46 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Mostly I figure, I get a free service, why not have them adjust it and look it over?
Yes, especially if you have focus problems.
10-22-2012, 06:14 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Free service? This is true if you bought the 2 year extended warranty, but I don't think it applies with the standard 1 year warranty.
10-22-2012, 08:55 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Should be under warranty for focus problem. They will CLA it as a normal procedure since they are working on it.
10-22-2012, 12:33 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So my question is, should I put the original focus screen back in? Or just leave it as-is with the split prism?

Charles.

10-22-2012, 12:50 PM   #9
Veteran Member

So my question is, should I put the original focus screen back in? Or just leave it as-is with the split prism?

Charles.
Just to be safe in the eyes of Pentax or the service center, I would put the original back in.
10-22-2012, 01:11 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Put the original focus screen back in with stock shim -- if they find your screen is scratched, they will replace it, so you don't want them replacing your third-party one. Just ask them to clean, check, and calibrate everything (AF, electronic level, etc.) Also they will reset it to factory defaults so if you have any special settings you may want to write them down. (Lens adjustments go out the window with AF calibration, so don't worry about that.)