Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
10-20-2012, 10:47 AM - 1 Like   #1

Petition To Best Buy: "Carry Pentax."

Hey there folks.

Though I work for Best Buy, I can't speak alone on what is being demanded or what is being talked about in the camera world. So I made this suggestion in the relatively unknown Best Buy IdeaX suggestion forum. If you guys agree with me that a large national chain like Best Buy ought to carry Pentax more in earnest, even in stores, please upvote. The system is not very well known so it ought to be easy to raise the suggestion high up on the list, with your help, of course. Please post here if you guys have any additional comments to make or want to discuss a national brand carrying Pentax instead of just ordering everything from B&H.

BBY - Please Carry Pentax DSLRs - Best Buy: Unboxed

10-20-2012, 12:14 PM   #2
Forum Member

Pentax is for REAL photographers. Best Buy is not the place where hobbyists shop. Best Buy is where the overpriced Canon and Nikon cameras live.
10-20-2012, 12:38 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Says who. Give us a break. The guy deserves much credit and support for the grassroots effort. More exposure for the brand can't hurt, and may actually help keep Pentax alive.
10-20-2012, 12:52 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Heck, I registered just to bump it, as well as comment upon it. Would be nice to see more support for this, might make the UPP more time-worthy, since Target hardly carries anything anyways.

10-20-2012, 01:04 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I cannot imagine why anyone would be critical of this idea. A camera brand is s more or less an ecosystem. The entry level products (of which Best Buy sells a great volume of) provide the resources to develop high end products, while the high end products attract attention to bringing new people into the brand. Done correctly, it is a symbiotic relationship. Whether you are likely to ever buy any photo gear from Best Buy is irrelevant, having the Pentax name appear in their enormous volume of advertising would be of benefit to us all. You have my support in this effort, it is quick, easy and painless to do so and I hope others do the same. Besides, if you really want to be a camera snob, shouldn't you be somewhere spending a king's ransom on Leica's?
10-20-2012, 02:18 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Seems like I have to be a registered user/member to vote or comment. I already get a choking amount of junk e-mails from different vendors...
10-20-2012, 02:31 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoman1 Quote
Pentax is for REAL photographers. Best Buy is not the place where hobbyists shop. Best Buy is where the overpriced Canon and Nikon cameras live.
Every club needs an asshat, we just found ours.

QuoteOriginally posted by mccook Quote
I cannot imagine why anyone would be critical of this idea.
I agree 100%

10-20-2012, 03:04 PM   #8
Banned

Maybe Pentax should be responsible enough to approach Best Buy to do this. Seems like the OP doesn't know how the backroom of business works. Pentax is still small and niche, so it's not likely that Best Buy is going to be approaching them to make a retail partnership and in fact, the big boys probably have people working with Best Buy to get their products on shelves and into the supply chain, so why is Pentax special in requiring fans put in an effort to get Best Buy to sell something?
10-20-2012, 03:05 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Best Buy is going down the tubes. Give it a few years and they might not even exist. I'd rather they were in Walmart and Target, in the stores, not just online. We'd get far more brand awareness that way. As for "only serious photographers choose Pentax" that's a bit snobby, don't you think? It's not really true either or there wouldn't be Moms and Pop types, students et all, all over Japan sporting K-x, K-r and probably soon K-30's. 75% of the people buying those "cute" colored DSLR cameras probably don't have a clue as to what one can do. :P
10-20-2012, 05:50 PM   #10
Forum Member

I have never seen a DSLR at Best Buy that is not beat-up or half of the time working. I am a 14-year old I enjoy shooting with my Pentax DSLRs, so there is one student that uses Pentax. I don't understand why Best Buy is even trying to stay in business. Pentax does have a presence at both retail and online Target stores.

I am not trying to be critical of anyone. Pentax needs to stop making point and shoots because they will never gain enough market between Canon and Nikon and smartphones. In my mind, the K-01 and Q are pointless cameras. I would be happy if they put the K-01 sensor into the first-gen Q body and greatly reduce the price of the short-flange mirrorless lenses. Pentax is a cult brand not a hip and trendy brand. Yes, Pentax needs brand exposure and that is why they should continue and need to gain traction on the K30. I do however, think that they should continue to produce the WG series.

I have seen the ads and the tests in the magazines and I think that will help gain brand exposure.

Why is this thread even in this category??
10-20-2012, 05:59 PM   #11
Banned

Best Buy isn't going anywhere. Even if the retail dries up, on the back end, they're prepping to go on as an online retailer, as well as offering aftersale support and business services and for industry.

At worst, it will morph into a new company, as they are diverting resources into those operations.
10-21-2012, 03:12 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If 'Worst Buy" would start carrying Pentax, I would actually go there just to handle and see the new DSLRs. I might even buy something, who knows. I won't buy anything there now, as I won't even enter their store.
10-21-2012, 05:29 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photoman1 Quote
For this matter, Calumet Photo doesn't carry Pentax either. Having worked at Best Buy for two years, I can tell you almost certainly hobbyists and even some hardened enthusiasts come in most frequently but I have had some professional customers as well. To date, I have sold maybe 7 D600s and 4 D800s. I tend to sell less Canon, but I've done maybe 4 and 4 of the 5DMKII and 5DMKIII.

Overpriced you say? We'll I'll have you know we price match all local competitors including legit online competitors such as Amazon.com, BHphoto and Buy.com. You have to pay sales tax, of course, where people purchasing online should have to report "use" taxes but don't even know about that and think they are being smug and getting away with paying for a war or whatever, but the tax has to be paid somewhere down the line and if you neglect to post it, you are technically performing fraud.

People go into Bets Buy, don't laugh, for the experts in charge there. I understand not every Best Buy has a photography major in the department, but I am at my Best Buy and we are one of the top stores in the company- let alone in the Digital Imaging department which is usually in the top 70 out of 1100 stores. People walk in, they want to feel and handle the equipment, they want to see and sometimes talk with someone there about what is right for them.

We aren't on commission, we are there to hook people up with the right solution. I can't tell you guys how many times someone has walked in and wanted to dump nearly all their budget on their camera, and its only then that I tell them "Well instead of going for the 60D as your first DSLR, why not get a T3i, the bundle including the 55-250 lens, Class 10 16GB SanDisk Memory Card, Lowepro Bag for another $200, and throw in Lightroom and you will have a much more well rounded set up."
10-21-2012, 05:33 AM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
Maybe Pentax should be responsible enough to approach Best Buy to do this. Seems like the OP doesn't know how the backroom of business works. Pentax is still small and niche, so it's not likely that Best Buy is going to be approaching them to make a retail partnership and in fact, the big boys probably have people working with Best Buy to get their products on shelves and into the supply chain, so why is Pentax special in requiring fans put in an effort to get Best Buy to sell something?
Say, thanks for coming off condescending. Really appreciate it bro.

Businesses will not start stocking a new brand or series of product without clear demand for it. The Pentax K30 has been selling at my store, but I can only order it in, I don't have one to demonstrate and show compared to the Nikon and Canon offerings. All you guys have been doing is saying "Nah, I don't want to see a Fortune 100 company carry and sell Pentax cameras." When clearly I've had a few customers ask me about it.
10-21-2012, 05:38 AM - 1 Like   #15

Original Poster
Also, the fact that this thread has this much discussion but this little support shows how little we care about the well being of Pentax. Over 10 replies from other users and only two up votes. Were not asking for money here folks, just create a login, post your feelings. I know your Best Buy may not be a mini Calumet- but mine is and I've been wrestling with camera displays, vendors who don't give a crap, and odd shortages of product- all deftly handled to take care of my customers and bring them what I think will provide them the best results.

But it is hard without the camera there. How can I convince someone that the T4i is actually not the best camera in the world, despite that blog you read.

Or how about that time I showed off the Phoblographer's torture test and showed a guy the A77 wasn't the best HIGH ISO performer contrary to what some Sony propaganda said.