Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2008, 06:37 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K110 on-board flash went "phhhht" - help?

My daughter's one-year-old K110's onboard flash went phhtttt, just after it fired. Now it does not work at all. The camera still works fine in all modes with the flash down.
Has this happened to anyone else? is it a big problem? and how much did it cost to get fixed?
Any suggestions or advice appreciated.

02-07-2008, 07:34 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Panache Quote
My daughter's one-year-old K110's onboard flash went phhtttt, just after it fired. Now it does not work at all. The camera still works fine in all modes with the flash down.
Has this happened to anyone else? is it a big problem? and how much did it cost to get fixed?
Any suggestions or advice appreciated.

I'm afraid the bulb of the flash is dead. You either have to replace it or use an external flash (imo a much better option).
02-07-2008, 07:41 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The circuit is faulty and usually the problem show up at the earlier stage if the flash was used often. This is not an uncommon issue and Pentax is familiar with fixing it. If the camera was purchased in Canada, it should be covered by the 2 years Canadian warranty and free of charge.
02-07-2008, 07:45 AM   #4
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes the bulb has burnt out. But if you bought the unit new, Canadian dealers offer Pentax bodies with a 2 year warranty. Otherwise add an outboard flash. If her needs are not all that great, if you can find an AF200FG flash should do a good job. I'm not sure if Pentax Canada is bringing in this model, but it's shown in the USA on the Pentax.com web site:
Pentax Imaging

02-07-2008, 04:40 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the quick replies. I'll tell my DD and hopefully she'll have no troubles with the fix!!
08-22-2008, 02:14 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
My DD has used the camera all summer with no problems, as long as the flash is down. If the flash is up, nothing works at all. Now she is wanting to get it fixed, but I'm doubtful the warranty will still apply. It was bought off the forum here. Will Pentax have the purchase info if the serial number is given to them?

On the other hand, IF she decides to upgrade, does anyone know the for-sale value of the camera as-is?

Any comments/suggestions are welcome and appreciated.
08-22-2008, 02:45 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Panache Quote
My DD has used the camera all summer with no problems, as long as the flash is down. If the flash is up, nothing works at all. Now she is wanting to get it fixed, but I'm doubtful the warranty will still apply. It was bought off the forum here. Will Pentax have the purchase info if the serial number is given to them?

On the other hand, IF she decides to upgrade, does anyone know the for-sale value of the camera as-is?

Any comments/suggestions are welcome and appreciated.
I doubt very much Pentax Canada would fix it under warranty if you don't have the invoice. If the camera works with the flash down, then the circuit probably has a short somewhere and replacing it is never cheap for any cameras.