Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-20-2012, 02:49 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why Pentax don't sell camera accesories?

Pentax branded filters, they seem to have it in the film days, I think is probably one of the photography item that have huge profit margin. Why not sell them?

even things like t-shirts, variety of bags, camera straps, etc. all seem to have good profit margin, why not carry them at least in the Pentax USA website (its not like Pentax USA is doing anything serious anyway)?

10-20-2012, 03:03 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Good question. The answer is that the people at Pentax USA just plain don't know how to market anything. Perhaps the new COO will change all that when he settles into his new role. How about a Pentax baseball cap? I've asked several times, seems they used to sell them, but no response.

How about all sorts of accessories that Pentax used to make, has the designs for in some file cabinet, and could order into production again?

It's just plain weird. They could have a much fuller range of accessories fairly quickly if they put a couple good engineers on it to update things and then get them into production.
10-20-2012, 03:35 PM   #3
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Good question. The answer is that the people at Pentax USA just plain don't know how to market anything. Perhaps the new COO will change all that when he settles into his new role. How about a Pentax baseball cap? I've asked several times, seems they used to sell them, but no response.

How about all sorts of accessories that Pentax used to make, has the designs for in some file cabinet, and could order into production again?

It's just plain weird. They could have a much fuller range of accessories fairly quickly if they put a couple good engineers on it to update things and then get them into production.
The old Pentax USA in Golden, Co couldn't market ice water in Hades.
10-20-2012, 03:35 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

They used to have hats and stuff at the web store, but I don't think that they operate that store themselves any more...

One thing's certain, though: the accessories they do sell have huge profit margins. In late 2011, the prices of most accessories, such as caps and hoods, went up significantly.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-20-2012, 04:42 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Yeah, that would be great. The accessories market is booming, there are so many useful little things Pentax could make.
But instead we have to wait for ages to get something as simple as a K to Q adapter, which Pentax should have started selling as soon as they had the Q. Even if the first adapters were fully manual and cheap. Filters, adapters, accessories, even some clothes. I think Pentax isn't doing any of this because they have a small store presence, but even if most of this would be only sold online, it would still be better than nothing.
10-20-2012, 05:12 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Things like those unlicensed "lens mug" .... for Canon and Nikon lenses sell like hot cake... these are easy money Pentax can make by making their own "limited lens mug" --- DA ltd lens would be too small though.:P DA*50-135, DA*60-250 lens mug, and FA ltd lens mug.... they will sell.

Even Nikon put their name on lens pen....
10-20-2012, 06:32 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think they are shooting themselves in the foot by putting large mark ups on accessories. They should sell lots with a small margin (or none even) and get the Pentax name visible out there - it would be great for the Pentax name awareness which really could do with more exposure now and is now more important than in the "golden" days where Pentax already had a big market share.

10-20-2012, 06:55 PM - 1 Like   #8
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
DA ltd lens would be too small though.:P .
DA Ltd shot glasses.
10-20-2012, 07:07 PM   #9

Bring back the lens cases, especially for LTDs. They are so hard to find, they would sell even with the premium going rate.
10-20-2012, 08:01 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by usmcxm35 Quote
Bring back the lens cases, especially for LTDs. They are so hard to find, they would sell even with the premium going rate.
Ned mentioned before he retired that a new limited case was in the works. Should have hit in June so I guess that is not happening. I saw one on fleabay that was $100 plus and just could not spend that much for a used lens case.

I agree that not having proper accessories is a strategic error. Not like they have to make them themselves just send the specs to China and handle the marketing.
10-21-2012, 04:14 AM   #11

they could even "Assemble In Vietnam" and it would be okay!
10-21-2012, 06:31 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
Leaving aside the non-photographic logo items... I note the lack of reasonably priced photo accessories specific to current cameras has maintained an active market for older Pentax specific accessories - and how many of us have purchased one of these gems and done our best to use this gear with our current bodies - hopefully without too much loss of functionality?
10-21-2012, 09:58 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I would buy a Pentax branded quick-release strap or sling strap.
10-23-2012, 03:20 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
active market for older Pentax specific accessories
Pentax extension tubes
Pentax right angle viewfinder
Pentax AF-80 ring light
Pentax AF-200t flash
Pentax Bellows
Pentax Copy Stand
Asahi 49mm ND filter set
Asahi 49mm CPL filter
Pentax M42 - K adapter

Most of this stuff is available cheap on ebay as third party knock-offs but the quality is variable to be polite. And some of the Pentax branded stuff is made to a quality that would be prohibitively expensive to make today. But surely there is a market for good quality accessories with the Pentax logo on them.
10-23-2012, 03:38 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
But surely there is a market for good quality accessories with the Pentax logo on them.
Imagine people having Pentax filters on their Canikon lenses!