Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2008, 11:02 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
I bought the camera and started pushing buttons. Are you saying that there's a manual to read
only if you wanna find out the specifications for the flash and wireless options -- about all i read. LOL

02-08-2008, 11:32 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Perhaps it may be planned next that, instead of a beep signal, we will get a woof or a meow.
02-11-2008, 05:09 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OniFactor Quote
i only read the parts of the manual that mattered to me.. lol
I didn't read the manual before I started taking pictures but, having learned over many years it's best to read manuals eventually, I stashed it in the "reading room" for occasional perusal. In this case my readings cleared up for me what some of the odd custom settings were.
02-11-2008, 08:00 PM   #19

pet mode:

Maybe it has something to do with the eyes. Cat eye retinas are more reflective than those of most dogs, but that may apply specifically in flash modes.

02-12-2008, 06:33 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
I only found out because I read the manual cover to cover.
While there's something to be said about RTFM, I'm reminded of a quote: "Reliance on a reference is the hallmark of the novice and the coward." Dunno where I came across that, but it's always stuck with me.

EDIT: Found it; it's from the old "real programmers don't eat quiche" text. Shoulda googled first...

Last edited by Duck Dodgers; 02-12-2008 at 06:34 AM. Reason: found it
02-12-2008, 10:56 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I may be a novice, having returned to SLR after some years in the wilderness. But I am not a coward, having said to the 12-year-old I share my life with "here, any time you want to take some photos you can borrow this." I guess not everyone would offer up their new digital toy, but I'd rather she get to know how photography works and not simply point and shoot all her life.

She does sometimes drop things, but I image my Pentax would survive a fall better than a crappy point'n'shoot anyway!
02-12-2008, 01:53 PM   #22
Site Supporter

Sure enough, I was able to change to Cat from Dog, we have 4 cats and one dog. This is the first time I saw that menu.

Does anyone have a list of what each mode does? I'd have a greater chance of actually using them if I knew what they do. Does Dog (Cat) mode increase the shutter speed, aperture, and/or ISO a certain amount?