Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2012, 07:25 PM   #1

Not using Caps while lens is not mounted?

I noticed one thing as I was going through second hand Pentaxes on ebay and yahoo. People put their Pentax picture, and it looks like they dont put the body caps.

For example: http://page18.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/w79537672#enlargeimg
is this a good practice?

10-23-2012, 07:33 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The cap's probably in there somewhere. It's not the end of the world if you leave the cap off for a bit while switching lenses, but it's always a good idea to have it on in order to getting avoid dust into the mirror box / sensor / focusing screen.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-23-2012, 07:50 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It's for the picture, to show the inside.
10-24-2012, 01:33 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Agreed. This is probably just for the picture. As your question suggests, if the owner routinely leaves his camera body lying around without a lens or body cap it would be a Bad Thing.

10-24-2012, 05:27 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I don't know.....when I see a camera body for sale with associated pics, and I see it without a body cap, I tend to move on quickly. While some of you may be right in that the body cap was left of intentionally for the pics, I don't see how a pic of the mirror box really helps. I can't get over the first impression that the body is stuffed into a bag after the pics were taken with the cap still not in place.
10-24-2012, 06:51 AM   #6
Veteran Member

You mean you don't store your camera with the mirror boxed stuffed with packing peanuts?!
10-24-2012, 06:57 AM   #7
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
As mentioned, it is best to have a cap when storing the body without a lens. For sale, it is routine to show off the inside to let the buyer know there are innards to the camera and it is in good shape.

If you are buying, as pictured, you should take advantage of the supplied image to enlarge and inspect for issues inside mirror cage. Look to see if scratches are viewable on the screen or mirror, odd debris, dust and lint inside the observable opening next to the mirror itself and the condition of the flat paint finish and chrome mount. Also, filter the image through a "curves" tool to look for traces of touch-ups to the image.

When purchasing, it is a good idea to ask if it comes with caps. Now a days the "bay" sellers part out cameras and so they may have had only camera and lens, but sell off the lens separate and quite a few in my dealings never had caps for them and instead slip the lens into a sandwich ziplock and ship it. When I purchase the bodies, I usually get them in a cocoon of bubble wrap... no caps.

10-24-2012, 06:20 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
No Cap, No Sale?

Hello Pentaxnood, Welcome to the Forum!
Frankly, If I'm looking at a camera body for sale and there are NO photos of the bayonet mount without the cap, I move on. Why won't they show it?
I've seen a few photos of lenses for sale where they don't remove the back cap, for at least one shot. Why not? Something wrong with the mount?
Would you buy a lens if every shot had the front cap on? No photos of the glass?
If the body photo has the cap removed and the seller indicates (or shows) a body cap that comes with the camera, no problem. That's what I'm looking for.
JMO,
Ron
10-25-2012, 05:19 AM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
I don't know.....when I see a camera body for sale with associated pics, and I see it without a body cap, I tend to move on quickly. While some of you may be right in that the body cap was left of intentionally for the pics, I don't see how a pic of the mirror box really helps. I can't get over the first impression that the body is stuffed into a bag after the pics were taken with the cap still not in place.
Given there have been many bodies on ebay with broken mirrors etc., I think a series of appropriate pics including showing the mirror box is o.k. People also show lenses with the caps off and the iris wide open to "show" the item properly; If concerned, ask them if they have the body cap.
10-25-2012, 05:38 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I USE CAPS ALL THE TIME.

edit: I'm very sorry, couldn't resist.
10-25-2012, 05:41 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Given there have been many bodies on ebay with broken mirrors etc., I think a series of appropriate pics including showing the mirror box is o.k. People also show lenses with the caps off and the iris wide open to "show" the item properly; If concerned, ask them if they have the body cap.
True - I guess I jumped in without thinking about these details. It's just that I cringe a bit when seeing a series of photos of a body with the cap off even when not focused into the mirror box. And yes, I do the same when I take photos of a lens for sale, but all the general shots will have both caps on.
10-25-2012, 05:54 AM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
I USE CAPS ALL THE TIME.
Good one! However:

YOUR PHOTOS MUST BE VERY DARK
10-25-2012, 06:44 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I never sell on FleaBay but if I did, I think I would feel the need to include at least one photo with all included accessories clearly shown arranged around the body or lens. Caps, owners manuals, cases, straps, etc. How hard is that? And how much more reassuring for a potential buyer.
10-26-2012, 04:02 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by abmj Quote
How hard is that? And how much more reassuring for a potential buyer.
And it's these sellers that get the high feedback... Those who bother to create detailed, descriptive listings (in my experience) tend also to properly pack items, send those items in good time and through appropriate means... Feedback through ebay is important... I make sure to scrutinise a sellers feedback before making a bid or purchase...

The same when buying through forums... I have bought and sold equipment through the UK pentax site... I won't buy from a seller who does not have many posts or is unknown to other forum members... In fact, I have recieved private messages from members warning me of possible scammers when selling equipment (the scammer in question did infact contact me - thankfully I was pre-warned) I also will not deal with those overseas (I'm in the UK) on forums (ebay I have done however with no issues) as there is a huge lack in recouse as either a buyer or a seller...

My point is that trust is a major part of a transaction... And although trust is hard-earned it's easily lost...