Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2012, 02:41 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well, we'll have to see what the NEX6 costs. I suspect it will be a lot of money compared to current K30 prices (currently 319.00 GBP after cash-back!)

11-02-2012, 11:31 AM   #17
Veteran Member

The price of the K30 has just been reduced a lot here in the UK, and that's my probable choice. I'm lucky enough to be able to afford a K5/2 or a K5/2S at the moment, but I just can't seem to be able to spend my money on a camera that will in reality give me little more than a NEX. I keep saying that since I bought the NEX I treat it as 'the camera on the back of the lens' and not as the complicated high tech gadget that I attach my lenses to. I'm using my many old film cameras more and more, I scan the neg's to digitize. I get grain, I get CA, I get all kinds of crap. But I get images that I like, the 'crap' is only crap because we compare the images to the perfection of a modern and expensive DSLR with the best available glass.
The NEX, and probably a lot of other compact system cameras, are I think a lot closer to old school photography than a modern DSLR. With a DSLR I machine gun and eventually find an image I like in the hundreds I shoot. I don't do that with film, and strangely I don't do it with the NEX, it's slowed me down, I find that I'm actually thinking about how I want to take the picture to get the results I want. My hit rate has improved dramatically. 40 or so years ago film was expensive, I learned photography the hard way by not wasting film. After a few years I had a good hit rate and out of 36 slides maybe 3 or 4 were junk.
I probably will get the K30, and if I do I hope I don't start machine gunning again. And it will be interesting to see if I like the DSLR format again.
11-02-2012, 01:04 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ihasa Quote
Well, we'll have to see what the NEX6 costs. I suspect it will be a lot of money compared to current K30 prices (currently 319.00 GBP after cash-back!)
Sure, it's $1k(623 of your monies) with the new pancake and 850(529) without. That's surely an incredible price for the K30. Personally I'd still pick the NEX6 over the K30 for my personal use, but my needs/preferences aren't yours. I don't think you can really go wrong with the K30 at that price. I wonder why we're not seeing it over here.
11-02-2012, 01:06 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lloydy Quote
The price of the K30 has just been reduced a lot here in the UK, and that's my probable choice. I'm lucky enough to be able to afford a K5/2 or a K5/2S at the moment, but I just can't seem to be able to spend my money on a camera that will in reality give me little more than a NEX. I keep saying that since I bought the NEX I treat it as 'the camera on the back of the lens' and not as the complicated high tech gadget that I attach my lenses to. I'm using my many old film cameras more and more, I scan the neg's to digitize. I get grain, I get CA, I get all kinds of crap. But I get images that I like, the 'crap' is only crap because we compare the images to the perfection of a modern and expensive DSLR with the best available glass.
The NEX, and probably a lot of other compact system cameras, are I think a lot closer to old school photography than a modern DSLR. With a DSLR I machine gun and eventually find an image I like in the hundreds I shoot. I don't do that with film, and strangely I don't do it with the NEX, it's slowed me down, I find that I'm actually thinking about how I want to take the picture to get the results I want. My hit rate has improved dramatically. 40 or so years ago film was expensive, I learned photography the hard way by not wasting film. After a few years I had a good hit rate and out of 36 slides maybe 3 or 4 were junk.
I probably will get the K30, and if I do I hope I don't start machine gunning again. And it will be interesting to see if I like the DSLR format again.
Nice write up. If you stick to manual using the focus peaking, I imagine you'll still be able to get those deliberate, thoughtful, shots. And when you want AF to machine gun with, it's there.

11-03-2012, 07:28 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
To everyone that bought / considered NEX, why would you choose nex over the Samsung bodies? Is it just the form factor?
For me it was not the lenses - the Samsung system is very capable at the wider end, and offers good value for money. The flip screen, video specs and the sensor probably tipped me in the other direction (Sony). The Samsung sensor isn't bad, but it is certainly not as clean looking as the current generation of Sony ones. Also, 16mp is more than enough for me - I don't need any larger RAW files than that choking up my hard drive.

It's interesting no-one has mentioned the little sigma lenses. I have the F2.8 EX DN 30mm, and yes, while you do lose image stabilisation, the '5n and the 30 are capable. The 19mm is a little wide for me (I prefer the 21mm ), but hopefully they come up with some more options (preferably with IS).

Things that tick me off about NEX bodies are the lack of auto iso control, in camera time-lapse options and raw processing.

The DA 70mm comment is right on the mark - if it weren't for the fact that they, and the 15mm/40mm don't adapt well to the NEX (too long, crap aperture control) I would have jumped ship.

I find the NEX good to use, and only struggle when you need longer lenses in high speed scenarios (e.g., birding).