Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2012, 08:14 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
I was looking at NEX...

...but then not.

I posted over at dpreview's Pentax forum that I was considering switching to the NEX system, and was it a good idea. (maybe too sheepish to do it here). I had 'downsized' from Sony full-frame to Pentax in order to go smaller. The allure of NEX was to go yet smaller again. But a raft of helpful comments led me around the track and back to my K5 and a handful of primes.

I realized that I've bought into a system because of its lenses. And for my interests, Pentax can't be matched. And although sony has done something awesome with the size of NEX bodies relative to their sensors, they haven't fulfilled on the lens front. In fact, nobody has but Pentax with its DA limiteds. I know some of the 4/3rds and now Fuji are doing interesting things, but I don't think they are where Pentax is with lenses.

Camera bodies will come and go, and maybe there's a K01 in my future. But I've already started buying and selling a few lenses here to shift some of my photographic aspirations. So I guess I'm here to stay for a while.

I may complement my Pentax kit with a handy sony rx100 though. If someone kindly purchases my DA70, 35 and 18-135, I can do that sooner!

10-23-2012, 08:25 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The nex form factor for aps-c just doesn't suit me. It seems like too much effort to make a small lens spread light out to an aps-c sensor with such a short registration, and larger adapted lenses look ungainly (and maybe feel so too, I wouldn't know) - and lose stabilization. Somehow I've managed to like a GF2 as my tiny cam with full AF video abilities, but I won't be sinking money into their 'serious' primes. The m43 short primes are quite small, but longer ones are pretty large and expensive right now, at least the ones I've seen. As you say, no one has quite done what Pentax has done.
10-23-2012, 08:25 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mr_Canuck Quote
...but then not.

I posted over at dpreview's Pentax forum that I was considering switching to the NEX system, and was it a good idea. (maybe too sheepish to do it here). I had 'downsized' from Sony full-frame to Pentax in order to go smaller. The allure of NEX was to go yet smaller again. But a raft of helpful comments led me around the track and back to my K5 and a handful of primes.

I realized that I've bought into a system because of its lenses. And for my interests, Pentax can't be matched. And although sony has done something awesome with the size of NEX bodies relative to their sensors, they haven't fulfilled on the lens front. In fact, nobody has but Pentax with its DA limiteds. I know some of the 4/3rds and now Fuji are doing interesting things, but I don't think they are where Pentax is with lenses.

Camera bodies will come and go, and maybe there's a K01 in my future. But I've already started buying and selling a few lenses here to shift some of my photographic aspirations. So I guess I'm here to stay for a while.

I may complement my Pentax kit with a handy sony rx100 though. If someone kindly purchases my DA70, 35 and 18-135, I can do that sooner!
I switched to the NEX from a K-5, but I kept my DA70. Won't you miss it?
10-23-2012, 09:14 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
I switched to the NEX from a K-5, but I kept my DA70. Won't you miss it?
Undoubtedly.

10-24-2012, 01:59 AM   #5
Veteran Member

The RX100 looks tempting. I have had similar thoughts to you, and have decided on a NEX as a small travel body for use with my existing Pentax lenses (and the 16mm it came with). The NEX3 and 16mm cost me 200. I sold my DA15mm to fund it for about 350.

Using the adapter isn't much of a problem with typical small primes. No AF of course but for MF lenses the NEX works better than the K-01 IMHO.

I will keep hold of a Pentax DSLR (with OVF and better lens/flash support) as my 'main camera' though.
10-24-2012, 03:00 PM   #6
Veteran Member

The NEX bodies themselves sure are nice. They don't have a ton of lenses that excite me yet, but they're soon to fix that problem with the new 10-18/4 and 35/1.8 among others.
10-25-2012, 07:08 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I am seriously considering an NEX 5R as a small camera complement to my K5 system. I love the K5 but there are times I just want to go small and light, just to have a camera with me. My old Fujifilm pocket camera is getting seriously dated and under-powered and due for retirement. The replacement will likely be an NEX or Olympus mirrorless. I considered the K-01 but the lack of an articulated LCD was a deal breaker.

I had occasion to talk extensively with top pro Rob Sheppard, who has switched exclusively from Canon DSLRs to the NEX system and he loves it. His images are just as awesome as ever. At the same workshop, I also spoke with Travel and Lifestyle pro David Wells, who has gone 100% Oly OMD. It is a tough choice, but I think I want to stay with APS-C and the NEX is actually smaller/lighter than either the Oly PEN or OMD systems.

It is a lot of money for a "back-up" camera but I'd probably just stay with the kit lens or small, wide prime and not accumulate a whole suite of lenses and accessories, using whatever I decide on as a glorified pocket camera.

Decisions, decisions. After all, its only money.
10-28-2012, 05:46 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I went with the NEX-5R to use with my Pentax-M lenses.

I could not be happier with the combination.

Shooting those lenses with my K10D used to drive me nuts because of the exposure issues.

Bought the NEX-5R and the problem was solved.

10-28-2012, 09:56 PM   #9
Veteran Member

So did I!

Still having some learning curve issues. The buttons and menu system are so different that I get confused trying to make adjustments. It's going to take some practice.
10-29-2012, 06:08 PM   #10
Veteran Member

About the time my K10 died I bought a NEX5, that was nearly 10 months ago and I still haven't decided which DSLR to get to replace the K10 - or indeed "do I need a DSLR?" I use manual focus lenses almost exclusively, my DA 50/135 is my best AF lens and I love it. But it only seems to get used when I want quick shots.
Given that the lenses I use are mostly MF ( nearly 100 lenses ) I find the NEX is terrific. With a big lens such as the behemoth Tair 300 the NEX becomes the accessory, I hold the lens ( or use a tripod ) not the NEX. Once you get used to treating the NEX as being a part of the lens and not something you attach a lens to; it becomes a whole new ballgame. The flip screen makes shooting low down a natural thing, and I find that much more stable at low shutter speeds. The camera itself is excellent and easy to use.
I have enough cash saved to order a new K5IIS, or whatever I want within reason. But I'm finding it difficult to figure out if I miss the mirror and all the DSLR stuff so much that I have to get a new one? Crazy I know, but there is little I miss about them now.
11-01-2012, 09:38 AM   #11
Veteran Member

To everyone that bought / considered NEX, why would you choose nex over the Samsung bodies? Is it just the form factor?
11-01-2012, 10:23 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
To everyone that bought / considered NEX, why would you choose nex over the Samsung bodies? Is it just the form factor?
I had a Samsung NX100 also. The form factor, focus peaking and the articulating screen did it for me. The Samsung is great, however. I wonder if they'll have an answer to Sony's new hybrid AF.
11-01-2012, 02:16 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Pretty much the same for me. The articulated LCD is the main reason I didn't consider the K-01 as well. With the small camera, I want to be able to hold it overhead, to the side or right down on the ground. You can't really do that with a fixed LCD. The form factor was the deciding factor between Sony and Olympus, which both have the movable LCD. I wanted to stay with APS.C rather than 4/3.
11-01-2012, 02:36 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I'm in the same boat, Lloydy... Thought the NEX would be a backup or tide-me-over camera, but I really like it. In fact I sold my DSLR since my last post. Could do with better flash compatibility though.
11-01-2012, 03:50 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ihasa Quote
I'm in the same boat, Lloydy... Thought the NEX would be a backup or tide-me-over camera, but I really like it. In fact I sold my DSLR since my last post. Could do with better flash compatibility though.
Hah, we have another convert. Buy a NEX 6 and you'll have a full hotshoe.