Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
10-24-2012, 05:38 AM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Pixel-density is the relevant parameter to consider when comparing sensors of different sizes when you compare images taken with the same lens from the same distance. Then indeed, sensors with the same pixel density (e.g., Nikon D800 and Pentax K-5 IIs) will show moiré under the same circumstances.

However, note that in the above scenario the FOV will be different, i.e., the larger sensor will capture more of the scene around the crop that the smaller sensor shows.

When you compare equivalent images, i.e., images taken from the same distance, same DOF, same exposure then only the total amount of pixels matters. The sensor with the higher amount of pixels captures the same images just with more resolution (completely independently from sensor size).

Hence, the sensor with the higher amount of pixels requires finer detail for moiré to be created, i.e., will exhibit it fewer times than the sensor with the lower amount of pixels.

Of course.......I should have thought of that. It is of course the detail you shoot, relative to the amount of pixels used on that detail that is important. Thanks for clarifying.

10-24-2012, 07:17 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
"For most photographers, we recommend using cameras with antialiasing filters. Antialiasing substantially reduces the risk and severity of demosaicing artefacts and moire. Apparent softness can be effectively overcome with Photo Ninja's excellent sharpening filter, which uses deblurring technology that can effectively compensate for antialiasing blur."
Statement made by the creators of the Photo Ninja RAW converter (of Noise Ninja fame).

Why do we have these two clear pro AA-filter positions?
Won't you loose details when applying softening to an image with a filter?
10-24-2012, 07:40 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
Moire does not give a damn about pixel density or pixel count at all (if using a perfect lens). It wholly is based on the interaction of structures on the subject and the sensor.
False.

A sensor with higher mp will need finer and finer detail to produce moire...which means the moire will only show up at greater enlargements.
10-25-2012, 04:07 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The funny thing is ... at all FoV except wide angle and with high enough MP (like 40MP) the moiré-creating patterns are invisible to the naked eye (e.g., fabrics which look uniform). So, everytime you get it it is a complete surprise. And everytime you hunt for moiré you won't get it. This is why some testers will say that moiré is no issue - because they hunt for it.

10-25-2012, 05:12 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
This is why some testers will say that moiré is no issue - because they hunt for it.
And this is why a good theory is so practical. One can predict that moiré will occur, so if it doesn't in practice, you know that you have to try harder.

While empirical results always trump theory, this is only true for thoroughly created and hence reliable results. And boy, are the latter hard to produce.
10-25-2012, 05:15 AM   #21
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My interest in this camera is from an insect macro standpoint. I am looking forward to see it compared to the K-5 II and K-5 in that regard.
10-25-2012, 05:54 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
My interest in this camera is from an insect macro standpoint. I am looking forward to see it compared to the K-5 II and K-5 in that regard.
Insect macros are an interesting special case. Because of DoF issues, you may want to shoot at f/14+ anyway and then the Bayer-AA filter would just create unnecessary extra blur. Diffraction alone then removes the risk of color moiré.

10-25-2012, 06:24 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Moire is pretty unlikely to occur in nature photography; landscape, birding, etc.

Last edited by audiobomber; 10-25-2012 at 08:09 AM.
10-25-2012, 07:29 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Having said that, I got quite a few images with color moiré patterns with my D800E (maybe 1% and it is more than twice the MP) but only one made me loose a keeper (an otherwise very nice portrait shot).

From PentaxForums.com: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/203117-k-5-iis-pro...#ixzz2AJxMQHH9

Isn't that pretty much all you need to know? I'm not planning to sell my K-5 when I get my K-5 IIs. I'm assuming when I am doing portrait work I'll be using the k-5 as much as possible. I might be the only one who remembers this, but portraits used to be shot with lenses that were intentionally made softer than landscape and technical lenses. Going for absolute shaarpness in a phto used to be ano-no. I'm not sure what happened between now and then, but it ain't pretty. I lose more than 1% of my photos to a focusing and exposure problems. I'm a little unclear on why the AA filter would be less of a benefit on K-5, since the D800 and K-5 have almost identical pixel pitch. IN a purely physical sense, you're dealing with almost the same mechanics.
10-25-2012, 07:34 AM   #25
Forum Member

Interesting discussion this, to say the least!
10-25-2012, 07:35 AM   #26
Veteran Member

I understand the thread, but is the consensus at this point:

"The k-5IIs is probably not going to show moire in most subjects, and the deciding factor for people is whether or not they care if it does pop up."?
10-25-2012, 07:50 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Moire is pretty unlikely fto occur in nature photography; landscape, birding, etc.
Bird feathers and insect eyes (Macro) are two of the more common places to fine moire.
10-25-2012, 07:56 AM - 1 Like   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
I understand the thread, but is the consensus at this point:

"The k-5IIs is probably not going to show moire in most subjects, and the deciding factor for people is whether or not they care if it does pop up."?
We will needs to see some wedding dress tests. Wedding photography is a huge segment and the wedding dress shot is a standard "must have" for the bride. If the K-5II Super gets a reputation for producing moire in wedding dresses it will have a hard time selling just because of the sheer number of togs work or plan to work in the wedding/portrait segment.

I hope it sells really well and we see a K-3 24MP APS-C without the AA filter this Spring.
10-25-2012, 08:04 AM   #29
Pentaxian

The thought of using a K-5 for weddings somehow makes me shudder. My cousin used to have a wedding business and always shot with hasseys, that's just what good wedding photographers used to do. What is this world coming to?
10-25-2012, 08:13 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Bird feathers and insect eyes (Macro) are two of the more common places to fine moire.
I know insect eyes have a pattern that could trigger moire, but as Falk pointed out, you will likely be into diffraction aperture range for extreme macros, so your lens will break up the moire.

I initially thought bird feathers may be a problem, but I read somewhere that they weren't. Have you experienced this?