Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2012, 09:08 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax dSLRs in more B&M stores with the new ads?

The new ads that have come out on the K-30 and the entire weather resistant aspect of the Pentax dSLR line are terrific and a likely to help sales even further (the K-30 is reported to be selling better than anticipated already).

Has all this led to more Bricks & Mortar placements for Pentax?

In Atlanta there is really only one BNIB dSLR dedicated camera store - ShowCase. They had 3 K-30s at the time of the K-30 Tour but only the GM knew anything about them. I just checked and ShowCase is NOT selling Pentax cameras on their website and do not appear to have any in their store.

Has the availability of Pentax cameras improved in B&M stores locally for others in the US?

10-25-2012, 09:15 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It definitely has in my local store in Santa Rosa, California. They now carry, a K5, K30's, Q, and K-01 and even a VS-20 I believe + lenses. Quite good really.
10-25-2012, 10:03 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
It definitely has in my local store in Santa Rosa, California. They now carry, a K5, K30's, Q, and K-01 and even a VS-20 I believe + lenses. Quite good really.
Very cool.
10-25-2012, 10:27 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I'm currently traveling and had an interesting chat with a guy at the local camera dealer (main pro dealer in this city). He said that a Pentax rep came through their store this spring, making a pitch to get Pentax back in stores. But the lone Pentax rep to serve this midwestern city was based in California. Simply put, Pentax didn't have the manpower to serve their stores. Without an easily contacted rep, they had no desire to carry their product.

10-25-2012, 11:33 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ofer4 Quote
I'm currently traveling and had an interesting chat with a guy at the local camera dealer (main pro dealer in this city). He said that a Pentax rep came through their store this spring, making a pitch to get Pentax back in stores. But the lone Pentax rep to serve this midwestern city was based in California. Simply put, Pentax didn't have the manpower to serve their stores. Without an easily contacted rep, they had no desire to carry their product.
Very sad. I guess they'll have to put money into the product support before they can really expect the kind of expansion that they are aiming for, based on what the camera store folks told you.
10-25-2012, 12:53 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ofer4 Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Very sad. I guess they'll have to put money into the product support before they can really expect the kind of expansion that they are aiming for, based on what the camera store folks told you.
Ned and John's strategy was to cut costs to the bone, outsource everything possible to contract agents and distribute principally through BigBox merchandisers (which can be covered by one Rep as National Accounts) and online dealers. Then cut the prices on Pentax items to the point that Pentax is a Word-of-Mouth value product. The big volume merchants can make enought to carry the product but nobody else will.

People (Dealer Reps) are very expensive. They got cut along with everything else. It will take Pentax Americas YEARS to rebuild the USA market - if they can do it at all.

I know Pentax was losing reps to Canon and Nikon for years before the BigBox strategy was announced. There likely isn't a single experienced camera Rep in the country that trusts Pentax.
10-31-2012, 09:33 PM   #7

Photos: Albums
I live in the Dallas, Tx area and, as far as I know, we have 2 B&M stores that carry one of the Pentax DSLRs. If you live in this area and like Pentax, your only real option is mail order,
11-01-2012, 03:47 PM   #8

It would be nice if Pentax had proper representation in Australia....

The population here is very much concentrated in the half-dozen main cities - 84% of it. But with Sydney and Melbourne together totaling 8.7-million people - just a bit more than New York - our Eastern region isn't a 'tiny market' nowadays.

We do have C.R. Kennedy - the private importer of both Pentax and Sigma products - and they've been very good over many years, within their private operator limitations.

So - I bought my K30 from DCW - Digital Camera Warehouse. Very nice and helpful people - within the limits of what they can actually do - which is - sell cameras and accessories. They don't do repairs, or accept Pentax product returns for Warranty Claims. They do SELL Warranty Extensions - I paid $70.00 for a 2-year extension on the K30's legally enforced 1-year. (The US $20.00 2-year Warranty Extension would be a marvel here....)

The Extended Warranty is with another contract operator - not C.R. Kennedy (The first 12-months is with Kennedy.) I have no idea "who" - you have to wait for about 6-weeks to be "emailed or sent" a copy of the extension warranty. To quote the DCW site:

Quote: - "Your warranty certificate will be emailed or posted to you separately; dependent on the details you supplied us. You should receive your warranty card within 6 weeks of your purchase." End quote.

Wherever one has to send the camera-etc to make a Warranty Claim (and I have no idea where) - either in the first year, or the extension period - they make it clear:

Quote:- "Should you need to return the equipment you are responsible any loss or damage of equipment while in transport. You may, at your option, choose to insure equipment for loss or damage with the carrier of your choice..." End quote.

So while DCW and Kennedy are nice folk - there's a definite element of uncertainty about buying Pentax or Sigma products here.

Nor do we get the US - or EU - kit-lens offers here. If you want a nice Pentax 55-300mm zoom as a walk-around snapshotter - there's no "L" version - kit or direct purchase. And if you want the 'full' version - it's a mere $670.00. (The USD and AUD are about on par at present.)

However, you can get "Pentax K-30 Digital SLR Camera with Pentax 18-135mm WR Lens" - for $1269.00. Sadly, I didn't have a spare $460.00 - over the K30 with 18-55mm kit for $809.00.

If I had - I'd probably now have a K5 - because "Pentax K5 + 18-135mm WR lens" - goes for $1259.00.... Nope - not misreading that on the site - I just screenshot it to have the 'evidence'.

Regards, Dave.

Last edited by exwintech; 11-01-2012 at 04:03 PM.