Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2012, 05:36 AM   #31
Veteran Member

If you look at Adam's comparison pics - which are kind of preliminary at the moment - you see a much greater difference between the K5 and K5 iis than image resource shows

10-27-2012, 08:26 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ironlionzion Quote
If you look at Adam's comparison pics - which are kind of preliminary at the moment - you see a much greater difference between the K5 and K5 iis than image resource shows
Dunno - I was using the only available DNG files that I had to me. Of course, now that Adam's got both cameras, we should depend on his files
10-27-2012, 08:58 AM   #33
Veteran Member

I don't see that great of a difference between the two. I typically have my K5 and K7 sharpness settings boosted up a bit in JPEG and add some in PP in RAW. It seems like the K5IIs is a very subtle difference from what I'm seeing.

Hopefully the AF improvements are decent. I've been using center focus/manual focus on the K7/5 so much it's second nature at this point so what changes have occurred would have to be dramatic to make a difference.

It feels like sensor performance is not making the leaps and bounds lately now that we have good high ISO performance and plenty of megapixels. All the real dramatic changes are happening in the point and shoot market. Now that cell phones have higher quality cameras the manufacturers seem to be focusing on adding larger sensors/higher ISO to separate from the cell phone cam casual user to keep selling cameras. I would be very excited to see a NEX 7 offering with the RX100 menu interface in FF. Or just a FF RX200.

My RX100 is getting 90% of the shots these days, it's just that good.
10-27-2012, 10:59 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wahid_satu Quote
I don't quite understand what you mean here, Pal, but here's how I got to my conclusion:
What I mean is the following:
Say, you shoot a sport event with your K-5. You need to use minimum F:4 to get enough DOF to get the subject in focus and 1/250s to to freeze the action. Say, at 1600ISO. In order to get the same image on FF; ie. minimum DOF and at least 1/250s to stop the action, you need to shoot at a minumum of 3200 ISO.

10-27-2012, 02:24 PM   #35
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Dunno - I was using the only available DNG files that I had to me. Of course, now that Adam's got both cameras, we should depend on his files
+1, and thanks for the disclaimer, Class A. We need that
10-27-2012, 02:38 PM   #36
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
What I mean is the following:
Say, you shoot a sport event with your K-5. You need to use minimum F:4 to get enough DOF to get the subject in focus and 1/250s to to freeze the action. Say, at 1600ISO. In order to get the same image on FF; ie. minimum DOF and at least 1/250s to stop the action, you need to shoot at a minumum of 3200 ISO.
Well, you can use the same settings and lens (assuming it is compatible for both format) as on the K-5 and crop afterwards. But yea, shooting at ISO3200 with the Aperture dropped to F6.3 is okay too. You may well get the sharpest image the lens can offer and at 3200 there is still less noise on the D4 than on the K-5. That's what you get for spending more on an FF.
10-27-2012, 02:57 PM   #37
Pentaxian

Surely you must be referring to the first comparison he posted. If you look at the second comparison the differences are very subtle.

I truly appreciate the great work Adam puts into the forum and what he has done for Pentax over the years, but we need to bear in mind that Adam is not a professional tester.

Making proper comparisons takes an enormous amount of time and a meticulous approach. I'm pretty sure that the differences in the first comparison he made are way too high, whereas the differences in the second comparison are probably too low, caused by AF tolerances.

Look at the bottom right part of the image in the second comparison which actually shows the K-5 image having more detail than the K-5 IIs image. This is probably due to different AF results. Apparently they also used different lenses instead of one copy that is swapped between cameras.

Bottom line: One should never take Pentaxforums tests and conclusions as gospel.

10-27-2012, 03:03 PM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
In order to get the same image on FF; ie. minimum DOF and at least 1/250s to stop the action, you need to shoot at a minumum of 3200 ISO.
True, but ISO 3200 on FF is as good as ISO 1600 on APS-C (due to the different enlargement factors).
10-27-2012, 03:06 PM   #39
Pentaxian

Yeah I was looking into image resource and I found someone who quoted the boss of image resource as saying it should only be used as a comparison between cameras in terms of jpeg color output....kind of lame in my opinion.
I agree, but unfortunately its the reality.

Beats me why they didn't put an unambiguous focus target in the scene and then perform AF bracketing to pick out the best shot in a series for each camera. The images would be much more useful then.
10-27-2012, 04:46 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Surely you must be referring to the first comparison he posted. If you look at the second comparison the differences are very subtle.
Yeah it's safe to say the difference is there, but relatively subtle. Definitely not enough for me to spend 1300 to upgrade from a K-x.
11-02-2012, 10:48 AM   #41
Veteran Member

What's kinda neat was the resolution of the Sigma DP1. From the imaging resource samples, it's around the D800 level.
That's correct, at base ISO...but anything higher and the IQ drops off dramatically.
Also, I've read (never handled one myself) that it is a real horrible handling camera.
06-11-2013, 08:53 AM   #42

Click for full size based on 100% crops of the center (or close enough).

Was a bit lazy and didn't align them perfectly. Clearest examples of the k-5IIs clarity is in the text on the bottle, and the pink leaf fabric pattern above and to the left of the bottle.

Only issue I have with imaging resources is that they may not be the best at making sure the focus is at the same point between pictures.

Images were taken from each individual camera's link - from their ISO 80 NR off picture. When I get home, I'll redo these with the DNGs, and then one more with digital sharpening to see how much more I can get out of the files.

Please do not use this strong JPEG compression next time, it makes your efforts for sharing useless.
06-11-2013, 09:04 AM   #43
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Casion Quote
Please do not use this strong JPEG compression next time, it makes your efforts for sharing useless.
One of the reasons I don't do much of this, you do something, everyone becomes your boss and starts telling you what to do....
06-11-2013, 09:06 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Casion Quote
I didn't use strong jpeg compression, as far as I know... if you are referring to the picture that you quoted - that's a crop of imagingresource's jpegs. I didn't make those jpegs, I only cropped and combined.

My edits are shown here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/203263-pentax-k-5-...ml#post2146889

06-11-2013, 09:37 AM   #45

I didn't use strong jpeg compression, as far as I know... if you are referring to the picture that you quoted - that's a crop of imagingresource's jpegs.
There are zero compression artefacts at imaging-resource.com.

To my surprise I didn't noticed two pages of discussion. All other samples are fine.

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
One of the reasons I don't do much of this, you do something, everyone becomes your boss and starts telling you what to do....
I am not saying that I am a boss of somebody.