Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2012, 12:21 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax k-5 vs k-5II vs k-5IIs from Imaging Resources samples

Click for full size based on 100% crops of the center (or close enough).

Was a bit lazy and didn't align them perfectly. Clearest examples of the k-5IIs clarity is in the text on the bottle, and the pink leaf fabric pattern above and to the left of the bottle.

Only issue I have with imaging resources is that they may not be the best at making sure the focus is at the same point between pictures.

Images were taken from each individual camera's link - from their ISO 80 NR off picture. When I get home, I'll redo these with the DNGs, and then one more with digital sharpening to see how much more I can get out of the files.

10-25-2012, 01:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Clarity is one aspect of the improvements in the IIs but I am also interested in the AF responsiveness, accuracy, and speed in APC mode. I look forward to reports on each in the coming weeks.
10-25-2012, 01:20 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Unfortunately making comparisons of those is a bit harder than download-cut-paste

Hearing some results on shooting the k-5II in super dark conditions gives me good hope though!
10-25-2012, 01:25 PM   #4
Veteran Member

It will focus under artificial light now but it cant really be that accurate if it still has dinnerplate sized sensors. So despite all the improvements I think its still going to sumwhat behind. Correct focus under ambient lighting is a huge improvement over something that should not have happned in the first place. Still... improvement is improvement I guess.

10-25-2012, 01:28 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by westmill Quote
It will focus under artificial light now but it cant really be that accurate if it still has dinnerplate sized sensors. So despite all the improvements I think its still going to sumwhat behind. Correct focus under ambient lighting is a huge improvement over something that should not have happned in the first place. Still... improvement is improvement I guess.
One curious thing I always wondered was - why couldn't the programming allow the center portions of the center cross type sensor to be prioritized, and the outer legs of that sensor to be used for tracking? Then again I don't know much about AF sensors!
10-25-2012, 01:31 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I was wondering...what lenses does imaging resource use for their comparisons?
10-25-2012, 01:32 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Unfortunately making comparisons of those is a bit harder than download-cut-paste

Hearing some results on shooting the k-5II in super dark conditions gives me good hope though!
Absolutely on both counts. So far, so good. Here's keeping our fingers crossed on the AF improvements.

10-25-2012, 01:33 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ironlionzion Quote
I was wondering...what lenses does imaging resource use for their comparisons?
I believe - from the exif that I've seen, the k-5's are all Sigma 70mm F2.8 Macro, which is a fine sharp lens in the center.

In review of reviews - Lenstip places the Sigma 70 F2.8 below the Tamron 90 F2.8, for reference. In comparison of MTF charts, the Sigma's center resolution is close to the DA 100 WR's, but the 100WR's is still higher (and equal to the Canon's 100 F2.8). Edge resolution, the Sigma is quite lower, which could explain why the proportional scale on the lower right of the full image is so fuzzy. It'd be nice if they used the DA 100WR or the FA 50 macro.

On the other hand, they used the Sigma 70mm for their Nikon shots as well (D800) and probably their Canon shots (exif is a bit wonky)

Last edited by JinDesu; 10-25-2012 at 01:48 PM.
10-25-2012, 02:37 PM   #9
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
To be honest I find it hard to see the differences. They must be somewhat subtle.
10-25-2012, 02:46 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ferdinand Quote
To be honest I find it hard to see the differences. They must be somewhat subtle.
At 100% the words on the bottle foil are muddy on the first two and crisp on the third. It's not slap you in the face but it is there IMHO.
10-25-2012, 02:52 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, so far based on the recent image comparisons I don't see a reason to upgrade from my 'Classics.'

I will wait for more feedback on real world AF improvements.

BTW, those with the K-5II/s have you checked for an Easter Egg, namely Focus Peaking which we just got in the firmware for the Q?
10-25-2012, 02:52 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
See the pink leaf to the upper left above the bottle. The fabric is recognizable in the k-5IIs sample, while not clear in the other two.
10-25-2012, 03:04 PM   #13
Veteran Member

What's kinda neat was the resolution of the Sigma DP1. From the imaging resource samples, it's around the D800 level.
10-25-2012, 03:07 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Haven't check it out, but I do hear it's a fantastic sensor. Worse marketing than Pentax, but hey they sell a lot more lenses *snickers*
10-25-2012, 03:23 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Yeah it's an expensive camera for a fixed focal length. I think luminous landscape said it approached medium format quality....quite impressive. But yeah....that marketing is terrible. They released the SD1 for like 9.7k...probably sold just a few. And their processing support for their new sensors is severely lacking. But I hope those Foveons catch on....they are looking like they pump out some top notch photographs.