Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2012, 01:30 PM   #1

Pentax K-100D Battery Icon Problem

My pentax k-100d isn't turning on. I put new batteries, but my battery icon is just blinking constantly. I just bought nhml energizer rechargable batteries, but my camera STILL isn't working. Really need help

10-25-2012, 01:57 PM   #2
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
Could you provide a little more info about the NimH?

Were they pre-charged and ready to use?
Did you charge them first and then installed them and nothing?
Did you install Alkaline batteries to verify that the camera is still fine?
How long did they charge for?
10-25-2012, 02:45 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mysteryonion asks the key questions.

Something you might try is this: With the camera turned off, press and hold the flash "UP" button. While still holding it down, now turn on the camera.

I've had a few instances of known-good batteries not showing as charged, and that woke up the camera. In all those instances, I found that the battery end contacts and/or the battery terminals in the camera were a little dirty or discolored. I wipe them with a soft rag (like a handkerchief). for the terminals buried down in the bottom of the battery socket in the camera, something long like a pencil with the rag wrapped around it will reach those to wipe them.

Let us know how it goes for you.

-Joe-

QuoteOriginally posted by helpme Quote
My pentax k-100d isn't turning on. I put new batteries, but my battery icon is just blinking constantly. I just bought nhml energizer rechargable batteries, but my camera STILL isn't working. Really need help
10-26-2012, 12:06 PM   #4

Original Poster
Could you provide a little more info about the NimH?
I bought the Nimh energizer rechargables at Giant.
Were they pre-charged and ready to use? They were pre charged, and I put them in my camera, which didn't work. After that, I charged the batteries and hoped that would fix it which it didn't.
Did you charge them first and then installed them and nothing?
Did you install Alkaline batteries to verify that the camera is still fine? Had my camera for awhile(maybe 2 years?) First time i had trouble with my batteries.
How long did they charge for? About 2 hours
I tried pressing up wthen turning it on, but the icon still blinks.

10-26-2012, 12:12 PM   #5

Original Poster
I have tried wiping the terminal battery contacts with a tissue. Still not working :/
10-26-2012, 02:43 PM   #6
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
So... trying to work up the full picture of info here...

What I am guessing right now based on the bits of info come together...

NiMh Energizer 2500mAh version? Charger if auto stops at about 2 hour then the rate is about 1.25A charger and a semi-quick charge.
QuoteOriginally posted by helpme Quote
Did you install Alkaline batteries to verify that the camera is still fine? Had my camera for awhile(maybe 2 years?) First time i had trouble with my batteries.
So I'm hearing you say that, previously you have used Alkaline with never a problem and as I asked, did run a set of Alkalines to rule out that the camera has any issues running what-so-ever. So we can narrow it down to the charger and/or that set of batteries... because, right now it will work fine with Alkaline...right? So we may dispose of questions of cleanliness of contact?

So, talking about the batteries and please forgive some of the estimations...
Icon blinks and that is because the voltage has been detected as lower than the minimum of about 4.35 volts and a fully charged and functioning set of rechargeable NiMh should deliver about 4.8 volts (1.2 volts each) and they should deliver roughly steady current for 60% through the life of the charge, above 4.4-4.6 Volts as it nears 75% of charge life will hug the 4.3 Volts by the 80%... the remainder is now too low to use in the camera.

In contrast a set of Alkaline batteries was be 6.0 Volt (1.5 volts each) and through the life of the batteries the first 50% they will hold at about 5.7 Volts and by the 70% mark will start to crash dive down to 4.5 Volts and the 90% of life mark hug the 4.35 mark. Under extreme load (flash, rapid fire, video) the Voltage will drop faster.

If it is the batteries, how can it be?
So the thing about maybe the Energizer NiMh batteries... they are not always the best or consistent in quality and also most brands are sensitive to damage if dropped. Minor ruptures in the layers inside and this is especially true with the current offerings of high density rechargeables. I've chucked to the trash quite a few myself after dropping them and they smack the floor just right. The voltage will seem fine, but they cannot deliver the necessary amps to sustain operation and in a few cases the battery will not even hold steady at the standard 1.2 voltage even after being fully charged. These shorted out batteries can fool the charger and will seem to charge fine, but not hold the charge for long.
10-26-2012, 03:12 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is what I would do:
Go to the store and buy a 4 pack of Energizer Ultimate Lithium AA batteries. Energizer Ultimate Lithium AA Batteries 4-ct. : Target
Put them in the camera and see if it powers up. If it does then you have battery/charger problems, if not then the camera is having issues. Very simple one step trouble-shooting to get you started in solving the mystery.

10-26-2012, 07:20 PM   #8

Original Poster
Yes I will try buying new batteries. Again. If that doesn't work, im figuring just going to a camera store to get it fixed. The link below is the EXACT batteries/charger i bought.
Google Image Result for http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2010/05/energizer-recharge-aa1.jpg
Can the the other energizer battery i'll buy charge on that?
10-26-2012, 10:32 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The LITHIUM AA are one time use only, not rechargeable. The point in trying them is to narrow down the problem to either the camera or the batteries.
If the Energizer lithium batteries do not power up your camera, then nothing else will either. Takes all the guessing out out the process.
I would not have much faith in the ones that you linked to, how ever, when new, they should at least power up your camera and be good for couple hundred shots.