Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2008, 01:53 PM   #16
Veteran Member

is there even a precident for "high quality" LCD-displayed magnified live view??

02-08-2008, 02:00 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
is there even a precident for "high quality" LCD-displayed magnified live view??
Somebody once commented in here that Canon, I believe, isn't able to produce sharp magnified images after the shot whereas Pentax is.

So there is a precident for "low" and for "high quality" LCD-displayed magnified view.

Now just add the word "live" to it.
02-08-2008, 02:23 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
There are a number of point and shoots with LCD magnification using MF mode. It's generally very pixelated. The pixelation makes however because it's a digital zoom, where the image are merely blown up digitally. It's not supposed to be sharper and clearer.

Even though I have this feature in my advanced point&shoot (the fuji), I turned it off as it was more of an annoyance than anything. With the magnification, I lost partial view of the composition, so I ended up referring back to the AF beeping confirmation even in MF. If there's not enough light around to get an AF confirmation, then I just do the best that I can without magnification.
02-09-2008, 02:02 AM   #19
Veteran Member

AFAIK Live View is a "tripod only" mode, especially when using MF so a x2 magnification should be more than enough for accurate MF.

x10 magnification is probably an overkill and unuseable handheld (it would be the same as manual focusing a 500mm handeld when you want to MF a 50mm

02-09-2008, 08:17 AM   #20
Veteran Member

The beta models had a refresh rate problem when magnified. Something I believe needs to be ironed out before final launch. What many of these magazines and such aren't stating is that these are pre-production models, tumbled around and handled carelessly and thye don't even have close to the final firmware. What they need to do is shut their mouths about things they don't know about and wait like everyone else

Oh and the beta did 10X and I think Pentax will probably stop at 8X on the final version from reading the spec sheets.
02-09-2008, 09:05 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
The beta models had a refresh rate problem when magnified. Something I believe needs to be ironed out before final launch. What many of these magazines and such aren't stating is that these are pre-production models, tumbled around and handled carelessly and thye don't even have close to the final firmware. What they need to do is shut their mouths about things they don't know about and wait like everyone else

Oh and the beta did 10X and I think Pentax will probably stop at 8X on the final version from reading the spec sheets.
From the mouths of Babes....Ditto.

Thanks Dude.

Ben
02-09-2008, 12:05 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Confused Quote
Hi all

In the latest edition of Amateur Photographer Magazine (9th February 2008) I was studying Angela Nicholson's impressions of the forthcoming K20D and read this worrying comment:

We shall have to wait and see what early adopters of the K20D actually make of the new camera , but I generally tend to trust the objective reviews I find in Amateur Photographer Magazine.
There are a number of publications competing for shelf space in the UK that masquerade as photographic magazines, but which are in reality nothing more than glorified glossy advertising brochures sucking-up to the big manufacturers.
Your comments are welcome......

Best regards
Richard
I did read that, but for me I am not bothered as I always compose through the viwerfinder. I have tried the LCD on my Fuji kit, and again I prefer the viewfinder. It is interesting that this topic was raised at my local camera club, and indeed most of them want viewfinders back on cameras as they prefer the "old fashoned way" of composition.

I did read however in the brief review in AP, that although the live view was poor, the high ISO IQ was excellent, and this without the production firmware. Looking good on the whole.
02-09-2008, 07:51 PM   #23
raz

Look what I think.
The fast fps mode (21 fps) with live view is at 1.6 Mpixels, right ? From what I heard from the forum, this 1.6 MPixels suppose to be the live view feed. Maybe when the 8X or 10X magnification is activated during live view, the only thing that is magnified is this 1.6 mpixel feed and that's why it looks pixelated maybe ?
Let's hope I'm wrong though.

02-10-2008, 12:58 PM   #24
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi raz

Re your comment:

QuoteQuote:
Maybe when the 8X or 10X magnification is activated during live view, the only thing that is magnified is this 1.6 mpixel feed and that's why it looks pixelated maybe ?
.....it's possibly a case of one step forward, two steps back.....LOL ! Let's just wait and see until real users get their hands on the actual K20D ?

Best regards
Richard