Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2008, 06:38 AM   #1
Inactive Account

K20D adverse comment in latest AP magazine !!

Hi all

In the latest edition of Amateur Photographer Magazine (9th February 2008) I was studying Angela Nicholson's impressions of the forthcoming K20D and read this worrying comment:

QuoteQuote:
The magnified view (of the rear LCD) provided to assist manual focus is fairly low quality
We shall have to wait and see what early adopters of the K20D actually make of the new camera , but I generally tend to trust the objective reviews I find in Amateur Photographer Magazine.
There are a number of publications competing for shelf space in the UK that masquerade as photographic magazines, but which are in reality nothing more than glorified glossy advertising brochures sucking-up to the big manufacturers.
Your comments are welcome......

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 02-08-2008 at 07:05 AM.
02-08-2008, 06:59 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well sure, but that's no different from any APS-C camera. The sensor is small, so the viewfinder is small, thus making manual focusing more difficult. The viewfinder magnification is fairly high for its class, so I would they'd have the same criticism of most DSLR's.
02-08-2008, 07:01 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Wait -- are they talking about the live view? That's what "magnified view" makes it sound like. No comment then.
02-08-2008, 07:04 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi Finn

Sorry about that....yes, they were referring to the rear LCD. I've just amended the OP,

Best regards
Richard

02-08-2008, 09:15 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Confused Quote
Hi all

In the latest edition of Amateur Photographer Magazine (9th February 2008) I was studying Angela Nicholson's impressions of the forthcoming K20D and read this worrying comment:

We shall have to wait and see what early adopters of the K20D actually make of the new camera , but I generally tend to trust the objective reviews I find in Amateur Photographer Magazine.
There are a number of publications competing for shelf space in the UK that masquerade as photographic magazines, but which are in reality nothing more than glorified glossy advertising brochures sucking-up to the big manufacturers.
Your comments are welcome......

Best regards
Richard
Very interesting- I'd personally discard that comment since nothing's better than the viewfinder when it comes to MF. IMO, if you're that desperate to focus accurately, I would just buy a KatzEye focusing screen.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-08-2008, 10:15 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Very interesting- I'd personally discard that comment since nothing's better than the viewfinder when it comes to MF. IMO, if you're that desperate to focus accurately, I would just buy a KatzEye focusing screen.
What I was thinking, too. Now that I've got a Katz Eye on my K10D, I'm wondering how I managed for a year without it. Pentax ought to order a few thousand Katz Eye screens and offer them as an option in the K20D for an extra $50. (I'm assuming Katz Eye Optics would give Pentax a good deal on a bulk purchase.)

Anyway, this raises an interesting question: I wonder how live view will work with a Katz Eye focusing screen? Does live view somehow bypass the optical focusing screen?

Will
02-08-2008, 10:47 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Hey Will, how is spot metering mode in the K20D with the Katz Eye screen?

02-08-2008, 11:15 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by roscot Quote
Hey Will, how is spot metering mode in the K20D with the Katz Eye screen?
It's okay. I commented on it in the thread that I started a while ago named something like "Which focusing screen?"

Will
02-08-2008, 01:19 PM   #9
Veteran Member

DITTO....Never use an LCD for fine focussing.

Ben
02-08-2008, 01:31 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
The magnified view (of the rear LCD) provided to assist manual focus is fairly low quality
I think that's probably a fair comment when compared to the high-res LCDs on some of the new (pricey) competition. It's clearly a place where they've opted to save on costs.
02-08-2008, 01:37 PM   #11
Veteran Member

02-08-2008, 01:41 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
Welcome to the Club..It is considered an honor!!!
02-08-2008, 01:43 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Welcome to the Club..It is considered an honor!!!
what, running around with a burning paper bag on your head?

.... or getting banned from the dpreview forums?
02-08-2008, 01:47 PM   #14
Veteran Member

if you're that desperate to focus accurately, I would just buy a KatzEye focusing screen.
Yes and no. Theoretically, LiveView at 10x and more magnification should give focus accuracy not available from any ViewFinder. LiewView at 1x of course is not useful for focussing.

So, how can the "magnified live view of K20D be of poor quality"? Esp. as there should be one magnification step where there is a 1:1 correspondence of pixels, so no speed issues involved.
02-08-2008, 01:52 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Never use an LCD for fine focussing.
Ok, so I fear you have not tried the magnified live view mode. What a pitty!

And you also never cross-check focus in magnified view after the shot, e.g., with a 21mm Limited having back-focus problems?