Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2008, 06:55 AM   #1

Splodge in viewfinder K10D

There is a large piece of debris visible in the viewfinder of my K10D. There is no sign of it on my shots but it is very annoying. The debris focuses more or less with the viewfinder grid so I guess it is on my focusing screen.

How can I get rid of it? I am concerned about doing more harm than good.

02-08-2008, 07:08 AM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This video should show you what to do and remove the screen for cleaning. A gentle and clean lens brush or blower bulb should do the trick.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-photography-knowledge-base/16134-v...ng-screen.html
02-08-2008, 08:19 AM   #3
Inactive Account

ukbluetooth -- it could also be on your mirror... I had a similar thing (thoght it was on my focus screen as well), turned out it was on the mirror... i turned my air compressor way down (and held it back aways) and blew it -- good as new!
02-08-2008, 08:37 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mitchkramez Quote
ukbluetooth -- it could also be on your mirror... I had a similar thing (thoght it was on my focus screen as well), turned out it was on the mirror... i turned my air compressor way down (and held it back aways) and blew it -- good as new!
TOP MAN

That worked a treat - nice clean viewfinder now. Very grateful - I really did not fancy taking the focus screen out without the proper tweezers.

02-08-2008, 08:42 AM   #5
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Air compressor???? Yes the mirror may be the source and worth checking.

Please don't use any form of compressed air on you camera or lenses. No matter how clean the source (can or machine) is, there is always the opportunity to propel moisture and/or machine oil inside the camera. But most importantly, you are driving airborne dust/dirt into the unit at strong velocities and could easily damage the unit or at the very least lodge more dirt inside the camera that is near impossible to remove.

The sensor is protected but only to a degree. If that gets damaged, the repair could be almost as much as replacement.

Only use a dedicated lens cleaning brush that is kept clean in sealed bag. A Rocket style hand blower and/or a dedicated to DSLR wet cleaning system if you have persistent dust stuck on the screens or sensor.

Btw, the screens can be easily removed using a standard clean pair of straight tipped tweezers. You don't have to have the dedicated ones for the job. The best are the plastic ones found in some Swiss army style knives.
02-08-2008, 09:22 AM   #6

Original Poster
Peter - I didn't use a compressor, just a gentle blower brush. I was very gentle - honest. But the muck was on the mirror and I did not have to remove screen. No doubt one day I will have to.

Thanks for your advice.