Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2008, 09:15 AM   #1

Lessons learned with K10D - elementary my dear Watson

I have followed several threads about what to do with the AF button on the K10D. I decided to uncouple AF in shutter release and replace it with AF button. Visited Kew Gardens and took many close wide aperture shots of amazing rare orchids – but what a disappointment – they were nearly all slightly off focus, that is the particular bloom I focussed on was not in focus, but the leaf near to it was. So what I was obviously doing was focussing with the AF button, then somehow managing to move the camera slightly before firing shot. Now I have gone back to using the shutter release for focus and converted the AF to switch off auto focus. So many options with this camera – it is a work of wonder.

Then, also at Kew – beautiful late afternoon winter sunshine illuminating a large bronze sculpture by Henri Moore bathing it in dancing yellows and golds, a backdrop of white fluffy clouds against a deep blue sky. I stood in the shelter of a tree, sun to my right and carefully composed the shot – it truly looked amazing through the viewfinder. Gently turned my new circular polarising filter to achieve just the right amount of drama in the sky …

… My only excuse might be that I wear photo-chromic spectacles - but what a disappointment. I had produced a series of shots showing with perfection how not to use a polarising filter. The sky to the left of the frame was a dull greyish blue; the sky to the right was almost white – quite horrible.

Some lessons learned – I guess there will be quite a few more before I tame this beautiful beast of a camera.

02-08-2008, 10:19 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That's normal ukbluetooth, it's very rare that a lens will be absolutely perfect and shot wide open makes it even harder.

A tripod might help you, although the smallest breeze could also mess up the shots.

I don't know your level, so please don't be offended if I'm telling you stuff you already know.
02-08-2008, 01:56 PM   #3
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dear ukbluetooth,
I think we've all been there, and we've all learned our lessons.
I remember when I got my PL filter first time, I took every shot twice, with PL set at differnt angle, because I couldn't work out in viewfinder what's right and what's not...
02-08-2008, 04:27 PM   #4
Veteran Member

To echo what LittleLaker said, when shooting at wide apertures an inch can make all the difference, so any involuntary movement on your behalf, and any breeze moving the flowers, can render your scene out of focus. I suppose in these cases it's best to have the focus on the shutter release, as you're less likely to move between the half-press and the full-press. Live and learn! For example, I didn't know you could use the AF button to decouple the AF from the shutter release, and now I do

02-08-2008, 07:01 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Sounds like my first week or two. I can only say.. its not the camera. Since taking a coarse, I found out I was not even holding the camera correctly and what a difference.. I also take a little more time setting the shot up and use my tripod on landscapes I want to keep. Three months into it the shots have improved 100% and I know there is a lot more to learn. Thank god I am not using film or I would go broke learning the whole process! Good luck JIMBO