Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2012, 11:37 AM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Good reply!

Of course files would be bigger, and that is something everyone should understand when going from a 10-12 MP, for instance, to a 24 MP sensor camera, whether it be FF or APS-C.

JP

10-31-2012, 12:17 PM   #32
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Good reply!

Of course files would be bigger, and that is something everyone should understand when going from a 10-12 MP, for instance, to a 24 MP sensor camera, whether it be FF or APS-C.

JP
And harddrives are getting cheaper and computers are faster each year. I'm hoping my next system will be solid state for the primary and secondary drives. The archives are slowing moving to the cloud.
I'm looking forward to the day when i can complain about 100MP and how much load it puts on my system...
10-31-2012, 02:47 PM   #33
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Personally, I'm thinking of getting an FF that's currently available supplement my K-5, and then sell it again when Pentax releases their FF (if it's good). Pentax needs to come out with a bigger upgrade soon and start doing more than just making unclear promises if they expect to keep loyal users happy! The K-5 IIs has great IQ, but it's nowhere near the big improvement that most of us have been waiting for...

the guy at the pentax booth at photoplus said that when i asked about a ff that i was reading too much on the internet

i just wanted to see what his response would be ;-)
10-31-2012, 03:50 PM   #34
Site Supporter

I have a K-5...for me, it is in no way a big enough upgrade to justify spending that much on a II/IIs. In fact, if i was in the market for an upgrade and wanted to stay with Pentax, I would seriously look at the left over K-5s in stock and use the left over $370 to invest in some glass.

11-01-2012, 06:02 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd like a IIs for its promise of more detail in macro work. I can't justify buying a new body, though. Maybe the next iteration (K-3 or whatever it will be) is when I'd bite, if it's an -s version. The bulk of my work wouldn't be particularly susceptible to moire interference.
11-01-2012, 07:16 AM   #36
Veteran Member

I don't see any reasons why to upgrade my K-5.
Very happy with what it can do.
11-01-2012, 07:26 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Somehow, it's doesn't really seem like an upgrade. If I was still using my K20d only, then I would upgrade to the K5IIs in a heartbeat, but going from K5 to K5 just seems silly.

They should sell upgrade kits for the users with K5's. (If it was possible.) I think they would sell more of those then K5II(s)'s. Even if it was only the AA-filter removal service.
11-01-2012, 07:50 AM   #38
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I have a K20D and K-x. I bought and returned a K-5 because it was accurate in natural light but showed severe front-focus in tungsten light. This was not fixed with a firmware upgrade, and I lost confidence in the body. Nothing I've seen since then has changed my mind. There are far too many reports of wonky focus on K-5's for me to give it another go. Besides, I just did not feel it gave me anything more than my current bodies. The K20D has fabulous IQ, and is WR. AF is not up to scratch in low light, but then I use the K-x, which has the same SNR as the K-5 at ISO 6400. I would buy a K-5 IIs, especially after seeing the tests Ogl linked, but I am hoping for a K-3 announcement at CP+. I'm not interested in FF right now.
!UPD! ???????????? ?????????? K-5 IIs ? K-5 ? ???????? ??????? ?????????

11-01-2012, 08:03 AM   #39
Site Supporter

After reading the review, it makes me feel even better about upgrading my K-7 to a K-30 instead of the K-5ii. Same IQ for almost half the price. It's only been a week or so but I can't say I miss the top LCD screen all that much. Biggest downside is the shutter is MUCH louder than on my K-7. Upside is it feels a lot lighter to carry around than the K-7 was, and the AA battery option and focus peaking are nice added features for me over the K-7.
11-01-2012, 01:14 PM   #40
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I was thinking of buying a K5IIs (my K5 is two years old and has definitely seen its best days, having already been in for one refurb), but the K5IIs is in very short supply here and a cashback offer launched today on the K30 makes it almost irresistible. I can buy two K30s for less than the cost of a basic K5 Classic with a spare battery for each thrown into the deal as well. Just, er, the one sounds like a good way to tide over till a new and hopefully 24-mp Pentax comes along. This and a trade-in of a lens or two may also allow me to get a DA* 55mm which is one of my dream lenses (K30 + DA* 55mm is still less than a KIIs body here). I could easily shoot the whole winter with a K30 and DA* 55mm on it. What a combo! The K5 has done well for me over many tens of thousands of shots and is the perfect size for my hands and style, but I'll admit to a bit of a so-so feeling of "been there done that already" about forking out quite a lot of money for so few changes on the K5II amd IIs. A K5IIs here is the equivalent of well over 1000 USD, quite a chunk of anyone's change.
11-01-2012, 01:26 PM   #41
Veteran Member

I'll wait for the next round of bodies. My K-5 is way better than my skills at this point.
11-01-2012, 04:05 PM   #42
Site Supporter

Advanced High-End APS-C DSLR

From the K-5 II / IIs Review:

"Pentax has informed us that future plans include the introduction of a high-end APS-C DSLR as well as a full-frame DSLR."

I wonder when this will come out and what is included in a "high-end" APS-C DSLR that is not already in the K5 II / IIs?

Paul
11-01-2012, 06:31 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Still mulling over a change. Probably go to K-30. Seems to be 95+% of K-5 II at, what, 60% of the price?
11-01-2012, 10:07 PM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GlennG Quote
Probably go to K-30. Seems to be 95+% of K-5 II at, what, 60% of the price?
Depends on how you calculate percentages (which is of course subjective).

The K-30 review by Imaging-Resource nicely compares the K-30 to the K-5. AFAIC, a top-LCD, quieter shutter, much better sensor cleaning, better battery life, better AF (K-5 II), better still image quality, are pros that beat any cons, for me personally.
11-01-2012, 10:54 PM   #45
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RossCo Quote
From the K-5 II / IIs Review:

"Pentax has informed us that future plans include the introduction of a high-end APS-C DSLR as well as a full-frame DSLR."

I wonder when this will come out and what is included in a "high-end" APS-C DSLR that is not already in the K5 II / IIs?

Paul
I hate the fact that Pentax will not give more specifics. I know that this is common practice for most businesses, but you would figure that with so many people jumping ship, they would try something different. I know there is a road map somewhere, but is anyone actually impressed by it? I have no idea what direction Ricoh is taking Pentax. I want to believe that it's taking it into a great direction, but I don't know. The K-5II was such a let down. The more I read these threads, I realize that Pentax is quickly becoming the company of "wink-wink's" that never come.

I love my Kr, but I've outgrown it. I want better AF and better ISO performance. I don't think the K-5II does enough to justify the money. I also don't want to buy a 2 year old camera to last me an indefinite amount of time. If Pentax were to announce that their new high end APS-C DSLR were going to be released in 6 months, or a year, I would be willing to wait. I'd probably even buy a K-5 to hold me over until then.

What I don't want is to wait another year or two so that they can release the new 16 mp K-5III that can now focus with the lens cap on.

Are there any chances that Pentax could announce something "worth it" at CP+ 2013? I looked at what they announced this last time and it seems like they only announced lenses.