Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
10-29-2012, 03:42 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Personally, I'm thinking of getting an FF that's currently available supplement my K-5, and then sell it again when Pentax releases their FF (if it's good). Pentax needs to come out with a bigger upgrade soon and start doing more than just making unclear promises if they expect to keep loyal users happy! The K-5 IIs has great IQ, but it's nowhere near the big improvement that most of us have been waiting for...
Although I have no intention to get into a FF system, because of the costs involved, I agree that Pentax is a "bit" behind in that arena. But that is another story again.

I would likely be interested in a pumped up, so to speak, Pentax APS-C with really advanced AF (read: tracking and all that jazz, more AF points ... etc.).

Other than that, my K5 seems to do the job.

I was a bit disappointed upon reading the review: I suppose I was expecting more, like many of us.

However, for those who want to upgrade from, let's say, a K10D, K20D, K7, K30 .... I would think this would be the ideal camera.

JP

10-29-2012, 03:47 PM   #17
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
I would likely be interested in a pumped up, so to speak, Pentax APS-C with really advanced AF (read: tracking and all that jazz, more AF points ... etc.).
Pentax has a lot of R&D ahead of them, but I think such a camera would be a big hit. Even if it had AF comparable to the 7D or D7000, it would be a much more compelling option. Add to that a swiveling screen at it would be an industry first! Pentax hinted that they would make such a camera (at Photokina), as they basically have to if they expect anyone to buy their 560mm.

As for myself, I'm looking at the D800 with a couple of lenses- nothing outrageous, but certainly very expensive compared to most people's Pentax systems. Can't complain about their top-of-the-line AF, either!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-29-2012, 03:52 PM   #18

Photos: Gallery
im gonna jump ship. i love the feel and size of my k-5s but its low light af sucks. i have been doing more and more weddings and i am tired of missed shots or ackward delays with guest while waiting for focus to lock. Thinking of going with a d7000 and d700 combo. may keep one of my k-5s and the da15 just for street and car stuff if i can afford it.
10-29-2012, 03:53 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Most of my concerns have already been expressed in this thread. If I were shooting a lot of low light events like concerts or weddings I get the II/IIs. But the AF is not significantly improved and it still doesn't match a 3+ year old Canon design in that regard, so I'll wait for something that does beat the 7D in the AF arena.

10-29-2012, 03:56 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
I expect such a camera will be announced in the beginning of 2013. I have no insider information.

QuoteQuote:
Other than that, my K5 seems to do the job.

I was a bit disappointed upon reading the review: I suppose I was expecting more, like many of us.

However, for those who want to upgrade from, let's say, a K10D, K20D, K7, K30 .... I would think this would be the ideal camera.
I think these were the intended buyers of the K-5II(s). As a K-7 owner myself, I find the K-5 II quite appealing. I am *very* close to ordering one, but I want to try and wait to see what the next (top-of-the-line) APS-C body will be before making the call.
10-29-2012, 04:25 PM   #21

Photos: Albums
I have the k5 and the k30. I find it frustrating when checking focus at weddings when reviewing photos on the k30 screen and then looking at photos on the k5 screen, the k5 looks like it is out of focus, until i zoom in. i don't know if the screen resolution is better or is just better used on the k30 but it often scares me when i am not sure if the k5 photos are in focus.

This wouldn't be an issue if i had 2 k5's or 2 k30's but i like the speed and decisiveness of the focusing on the k30.

So i just wished that they had upgraded the screen on the k5II as well to something more similar to the k30 so the everything matched.
Though i do appreciate that the screen will be more visible in bright sun as the K30 is great for that.
10-29-2012, 04:53 PM   #22
Pentaxian

The K-5 II is the camera the K-5 should have been, in which case I had bought one a long time ago.

Now, I'm waiting for the K-3 announcement to see whether it will be worth its higher price. If the value for money ratio isn't right, the K-5 II (not the mutilated K-5 IIs ) it will be for me.

QuoteOriginally posted by boosted03gti Quote
im gonna jump ship. i love the feel and size of my k-5s but its low light af sucks. i have been doing more and more weddings and i am tired of missed shots or ackward delays with guest while waiting for focus to lock.
But the K-5 II addresses this issue. No need to jump ship?!

QuoteOriginally posted by sbroadbentphoto Quote
So i just wished that they had upgraded the screen on the k5II as well to something more similar to the k30 so the everything matched.
How do you know that the new K-5 screen isn't as good as the K-30's?
The K-5 appears to have a new JPG engine and that alone could imply a difference for the previewing.
I'm not saying the K-5 II solves your issue, just that we cannot know.

10-29-2012, 04:58 PM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
The K-5 II is the camera the K-5 should have been, in which case I had bought one a long time ago.

Now, I'm waiting for the K-3 announcement to see whether it will be worth its higher price. If the value for money ratio isn't right, the K-5 II (not the mutilated K-5 IIs ) it will be for me.

Per the reveiw; "However, overall, the autofocus in the K-5 II is not the big upgrade that Pentax K-5 users have been waiting for. We think that the next step for Pentax is to add more focus points and implement a more powerful motor (perhaps one that is brushless) in order to make their cameras more versatile in everyday shooting conditions, and for shooting fast moving subjects. The Canon and Nikon bodies excel in these areas compared to the Pentax K-5 II."

I might give a k5ii a try but i could sell all my gear and not spend much more switching to a solid and versatile nikon setup. Ill wait till the holidays session is over before I make any moves.
10-29-2012, 05:15 PM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote

How do you know that the new K-5 screen isn't as good as the K-30's?
The K-5 appears to have a new JPG engine and that alone could imply a difference for the previewing.
I'm not saying the K-5 II solves your issue, just that we cannot know.
you could be right there. but i don't want to sound like i don't like the k5, i love it, i just had to dumb down my k30's screen calibration to try to match the k5, now i have 2 dark lcd's :-(
It is a little thing to complain about but i feel justified when weddings are such a big job and you need to trust your eyes. I wear glasses for long distance so i don't trust my eyes as much and need to trust the LCD
10-29-2012, 05:53 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have k10 (crippled), K20, and K7, no K5 yet. My upgrade approach is to hold on to what I have and go up a step for replacement cameras. However, i am not shooting professionally, and it is not a matter of my pay check to have the latest and best. I still get perfectly fine shots with my old K10 which will not automatic focus or aperture, so it is basically an all manual operation for old lens with aperture rings on them. So . . . K5IIs if it helps you make a better living or if you have so much money you can indulge the whim to have the latest and greatest at all times! I would probably forego the camera body and buy another Pentax limited lens, the 31 or 43!!
10-29-2012, 06:38 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm probably going to add a second system to my gear. Had high hopes for Pentax at Photokina, but it wasn't in the stars. Maybe in a few years. I'm hoping Canon releases a 7D Mk II at CP+, otherwise I may move to Nikon D800/5DMkIII and live the full frame life for a few years. Can't stand the 1/4000 limit and slower sync speeds on the new low-end full frames. What were they thinking?

I still think they had something in the works that didn't work out for them. It's really hard to imagine after 2 years that this is the flag ship.
10-29-2012, 07:10 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Per the reveiw; "However, overall, the autofocus in the K-5 II is not the big upgrade that Pentax K-5 users have been waiting for."
I personally wasn't waiting for the improvements that are subsequently listed. I won't be holding my breath for Pentax to offer an AF system that is as fast as the ones in top-notch (very expensive) Canikons. BTW, the Canon 5D MkII AF is not much to write home about either.

I'm happy for the low-light AF issue to be solved and excited about the new f/2.8 sensor. Pentaxforums hasn't looked at the latter much, but that doesn't make it less exciting/useful.

From what you have written, the K-5 II should address your concerns (independently of what Pentaxforums thinks the expectations of Pentax K-5 users were).

Ill wait till the holidays session is over before I make any moves.
Not sure when that session ends, but if I were you, I'd wait for the K-3 and then decide. Or go for a K-5 II directly, if you need it quickly.

QuoteOriginally posted by 7samurai Quote
Can't stand the 1/4000 limit and slower sync speeds on the new low-end full frames. What were they thinking?
They were thinking "Let's protect our more expensive FF models. If our budget models offer everything essential, we'll hurt sales of our high-margin models."

There was/is a chance for Pentax. Offer an uncrippled FF model for a budget price.

The way Canon mutilated the 6D is to the point of being embarrassing.
10-29-2012, 08:07 PM   #28
Forum Member

As a K7 owner I was ready to drive down to the store to get the K5 IIs until I read the line about an advanced APC coming (soon?). Now I am wondering if I should wait. I would like FF but then I need new lenses and maybe a new computer (to process the larger files) so the investment is too much. I think I can work around the deficiencies of the K7 for a few more months. It is too bad that Pentax did not include the advancements achieved in the K30 in the K5 II.
10-29-2012, 08:36 PM   #29
Veteran Member

I've been "lucky" the past year or so in that I have had financial limitations that afforded me the opportunity to sit back and watch things develop. My trusty K20D, with 45K clicks behind it, is still going strong but it's showing signs of wear and I"m frustrated by the limited dynamic range. It's time to upgrade - probably January.

I'm weary of waiting for definitive word on Pentax full-frame, and yet I am loathe to go through the pain of rebuilding my system from scratch. So, I decided this summer my plan would be to buy one last Pentax APS-C to satisfy my dynamic range cravings and ensure I'm not risking a camera breakdown. I am betting that _if_ Pentax does the right thing and comes out with a full-frame camera it won't be before 3rd quarter of 2013. If they do then hooray, maybe I'll buy one. If not that's when I will start gradually migrating to Nikon.

Honestly, I have been totally non-plussed by the K-5 IIs comparison samples. I don't see any appreciable detail in them that I could not obtain from my K20d images; nobody pixel peeps my prints.

But I'm still in a quandry - do I pull the trigger for a K-5 II, or go with the bargain priced K-5. AF performance is going to be a blessing coming from the K20 either way I go. -3EV sounds awesome, but frankly so does actual functioning AF at +1EV.

I know it's an impossible question to definitively answer, but is the SAFOX X performance boost worth $350?
10-29-2012, 09:58 PM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RossCo Quote
I would like FF but then I need new lenses and maybe a new computer (to process the larger files) so the investment is too much.
The K-3 will have a 24MP sensor, so files will be bigger regardless.