Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-29-2012, 04:20 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Unfortunately, since it was salt water, even drying it out the corrosion of internals has begun. RIP K-x.

Too bad the hurricanes don't start over freshwater lakes. (Or maybe that's a good thing.)
I'll give it a shot. Not much hope, as my last attempt to turn it on resulted in:

Black screen
No response to SD card insertion
Pressing shutter button = weird grinding noise and mirror flapping over and over

Worse comes worse.. i sell my Tammy 70-200 to fund the next camera, and get a 50-135 next year

10-29-2012, 04:31 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
While true, I also find the -3EV AF endearing...
Not sure how often that will come into play for me, but if you need it then it's a deal breaker on other cameras.
10-29-2012, 05:08 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Sorry about the camera but I'm just glad it didn't kill YOU. :P
10-29-2012, 05:11 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Sorry about the camera but I'm just glad it didn't kill YOU. :P
That is true - it wasn't too crazy, but the wind was strong enough to stop me in my tracks. However, since then (about 6 hours ago), it's gotten very very bad in NYC. The storm isn't a powerful storm by southern standards, but this city wasn't really meant to handle the flooding.

10-29-2012, 05:38 PM   #20
Veteran Member

It was really bad luck Jin... Sorry mate ! I would be tempted get the hair dryier on it. Just be careful it does not get hot. Water is a strange thing. There is a slight chance it might kick in again once dry properly. It could take a day or two if it got wet in an awkward place. Its not like it was submerged for ages.
10-29-2012, 06:20 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by westmill Quote
mmmmmmm nope lol errrrrrrr I left the camera in the window which i forgot to close..... lol Dog knocked it into the bath
Salt Water Bath?
Glenn
10-29-2012, 07:53 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Thanks for the heads-up, JinDesu! Sad to see the a fellow's K-x go down... hopefully it can still be serviced to become a backup camera

So far I've never attempted to take my K-x out into a storm... now like you, I'm really tempted to go the WR path. As of this week, the 18th storm for the year has passed over Manila and that has left me and my K-x bummed out for so many days...
10-29-2012, 09:06 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Unfortunately, since it was salt water, even drying it out the corrosion of internals has begun. RIP K-x.

Too bad the hurricanes don't start over freshwater lakes. (Or maybe that's a good thing.)
It really depends and potentially you can stop it before any serious damage is done but extracting the salt with baths in distilled water, alcohol etc.Although I think it would need a re-lube after even if it starts up. The biggest problem is shorting it before cleaning and drying every critical part. Water by its own, not counting corrosion or dirt, in a powerless electronic circuit is actually pretty harmless, Though even without batteries in the camera the loaded capacitors could prove to be enough to burn a circuit or two.

10-29-2012, 11:00 PM - 2 Likes   #24
Pentaxian

Hey Jin, would you accept my K-7 if I sent it to you? I've since had it replaced by my new K-30 (I will post a thread when I get a chance detailing how I got it, but a hint....Pentax listened to your advice ) and it hasn't seen much action lately. I intend to sell it upon my return to Germany from Afghanistan, however that isn't until February, and this would prevent the camera from getting too sad from being forgotten lol. But more importantly, it would prevent you from being out of photographic commission for 6 months (). You can send it back to me as late as Spring '13 to give you ample time to figure out what upgrade path you want to take, or if your better half doesn't let you upgrade any time soon lol.

Let me know (and SOON! I leave for New Zealand in the next couple days WOOOO!! lol)

-Heie

P.S. not sure if you knew this, but the K-7 is weather sealed
10-29-2012, 11:18 PM   #25
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Holy crap Heie, that is insanely generous of you! Really, you've done a lot for us as is (with all your WR testing and of course serving in the services)! Hat's off to you man!

Good luck w/ the K-x, though I'm with the others thinking it's pretty much toast. I know used k-x's sell for pretty cheap... and I'd guess the Sandy exposed ones are selling for much less now
10-30-2012, 02:25 AM   #26
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Now it has suffer the wetting, nothing to lose trying to dry it out and clean it. But as an electronic product, its life will be shortened, even if it has not ended yet.
10-30-2012, 03:47 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by G and T Quote
Salt Water Bath?
Glenn
Well I doubt they will send it to forensics lol
10-30-2012, 07:13 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well, good news... SHE'S ALIVE!

Most rugged entry level camera ever. Survived 6' drop, many bruises, and now a nice splash of water. I'm going to continue letting it rest for the day before checking if my Sigma 17-70 suffered any damage

Heie, thank you so much for the offer. My k-x coming back alive is the best thing for me, but if it really died I would have taken you up on the offer. You really are the best
10-30-2012, 11:02 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Most rugged entry level camera ever. Survived 6' drop, many bruises, and now a nice splash of water. I'm going to continue letting it rest for the day before checking if my Sigma 17-70 suffered any damage

Heie, thank you so much for the offer. My k-x coming back alive is the best thing for me, but if it really died I would have taken you up on the offer. You really are the best
Great news! My K-x has taken a lot of abuse and has never failed me. It's surprisingly resilient.

Heie has mode one of the most generous offers I have seen in a very long time. Thanks Heie, just for being such a kind community member! The world needs more of this.
10-30-2012, 11:32 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Great! That's pretty amazing considering the babying most of us do with the camera. Though did you clean away the salt in some way?
I would love to see pics from it! This reminds me of 5:00 in this clip: