Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2012, 11:40 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Jin, let me know if the K-x is in fact dead. I've got a K-5 sitting around that I'm not using much.

edit: Whoops, missed the second page. Congrats on the successful resurrection, and kudos to Heie for his generous offer!

10-30-2012, 08:53 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Well, good news... SHE'S ALIVE!

Most rugged entry level camera ever. Survived 6' drop, many bruises, and now a nice splash of water. I'm going to continue letting it rest for the day before checking if my Sigma 17-70 suffered any damage

Heie, thank you so much for the offer. My k-x coming back alive is the best thing for me, but if it really died I would have taken you up on the offer. You really are the best

lol...everytime I read ALIVE in all caps it makes me think of "IT. IS. ALIVE!"

But glad to hear your Kx is recovering (and in a timely manner...I leave today! )

And thanks...just trying to do what I can from over here to help a brother out If she craps out in the next 6 hours, let me know lol

-Heie
10-31-2012, 12:47 AM   #33
Pentaxian

People like Heie are also one of the things that keep me to Pentax. Helpful and really give good insight on things, especially perspectives on things that most of us only get spoon-fed by the media...

as for the K-x, that's great to hear, JinDesu! Seems Pentax gave our good ol' K-x a little more HP and CON than most thought they would, lol
(ok, that was a little too geeky..)
10-31-2012, 01:05 AM   #34
Veteran Member

It sounds like that Kx is the Toyota Landcruiser of Cameras if you watch Top Gear....I wonder if Pentax took up the challenge of Hurricane Sandy to shoot some WR promo shots!

10-31-2012, 06:16 AM   #35
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
So, isn't it a perfect time to get a WR DSLR?
Water resistant didn't stop my K10 from dying in the pouring rain...

No luck with the rice and not worth spending the money on fixing it, so now the future is in the wife's mercy
10-31-2012, 06:58 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Twice in a few months I fell in to a muddy river with my K10, my other hobby is competitive 4x4 trials and between driving the sections I would take hundreds of pictures of the other competitors. So mud, dust and rain was the natural environment for my K10.
After both submergings, with a non WR kit lens, I just poured clean water over it to get the mud off, and the blood after the second particularly nasty fall when a high river bank gave way beneath me, and dried it with a paper towel. I never had any trace of water in the camera at all.
It died at least 3 years after the last soaking with close to 100,000 shots. It was the main reason I bought the K10, and the reason I'll get another Pentax DSLR.
10-31-2012, 02:29 PM   #37
Forum Member

i was

i was out with my k20d and a sigma 17-70 f2.8-4.5 with a ziploc bag rubber banded around it
10-31-2012, 02:32 PM   #38
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
Hey Jin, would you accept my K-7 if I sent it to you? I've since had it replaced by my new K-30 (I will post a thread when I get a chance detailing how I got it, but a hint....Pentax listened to your advice ) and it hasn't seen much action lately. I intend to sell it upon my return to Germany from Afghanistan, however that isn't until February, and this would prevent the camera from getting too sad from being forgotten lol. But more importantly, it would prevent you from being out of photographic commission for 6 months (). You can send it back to me as late as Spring '13 to give you ample time to figure out what upgrade path you want to take, or if your better half doesn't let you upgrade any time soon lol.

Let me know (and SOON! I leave for New Zealand in the next couple days WOOOO!! lol)

-Heie

P.S. not sure if you knew this, but the K-7 is weather sealed

that is incredibly generous of you heie and deadwolfbones

10-31-2012, 02:33 PM   #39
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonto Quote
It sounds like that Kx is the Toyota Landcruiser of Cameras if you watch Top Gear....I wonder if Pentax took up the challenge of Hurricane Sandy to shoot some WR promo shots!
they should have, but their office is in colorado while canon and nikon have offices on long island which was hit badly
10-31-2012, 06:22 PM   #40
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
No power to upload photos, but I was out the last two days to get some pics. Probably be out tomorrow as well

Alizarine - The k-x is more like a pokemon... faints only (i can be geeky too!)

Due to the difficulty in getting into Manhattan, I don't have a lot of pictures, but maybe that can be changed tomorrow.
11-01-2012, 07:04 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Glad to hear the K-x is on the mend. Just FYI - seals do degrade over time and due to other factors. There are no functional seals that I know of that do not degrade under normal use conditions. How long they last is dependent on a wide variety of factors. Watches, which are much smaller and have fewer ingress points, should be checked for water tightness every year for example. 3 years of regular use seems a good run to me.
11-01-2012, 07:15 AM   #42
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Unfortunately, since it was salt water, even drying it out the corrosion of internals has begun. RIP K-x.

Too bad the hurricanes don't start over freshwater lakes. (Or maybe that's a good thing.)

Tornadoes over lakes and rivers are called water spouts. They are no fun.
11-01-2012, 09:12 AM   #43
Pentaxian

11-01-2012, 09:29 AM   #44
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Glad to hear the K-x is on the mend. Just FYI - seals do degrade over time and due to other factors. There are no functional seals that I know of that do not degrade under normal use conditions. How long they last is dependent on a wide variety of factors. Watches, which are much smaller and have fewer ingress points, should be checked for water tightness every year for example. 3 years of regular use seems a good run to me.
Bought my k-x back a year ago used, with 2000 shutter count. Been putting it through so much that I do expect it to die normally within a year or two. I'm not a very pampering person, and I definitely bought it with the intention of learning do's and don'ts for my next camera.

I'm just glad it'll survive until I get my next camera *crosses fingers*

And you guys have been really helpful and awesome on this forum!
11-01-2012, 12:57 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Bought my k-x back a year ago used, with 2000 shutter count. Been putting it through so much that I do expect it to die normally within a year or two. I'm not a very pampering person, and I definitely bought it with the intention of learning do's and don'ts for my next camera.

I'm just glad it'll survive until I get my next camera *crosses fingers*

And you guys have been really helpful and awesome on this forum!
The bit about seals and 3 years was in response to another poster. I'm glad it's on the mend, the K-x is a terrific little camera - I still have mine for those times that I want something smaller and more convenient.