Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-29-2012, 03:16 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hurricanes can kill dslrs

Shortly after getting hit with that last surge (I tasted salt water), my k-x is out of commission. It's in a ziplock with rice right now, and hopefully it survives.

If not, probably out of a camera for a few months. Life is full of surprises! Take care out there, guys.

(Also, I'm bloody jealous of you k-5/k-30/k-7/WR camera folks).

10-29-2012, 03:20 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So, isn't it a perfect time to get a WR DSLR?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-29-2012, 03:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
So, isn't it a perfect time to get a WR DSLR?
Yes sir, have to see if my significant other is willing to overlook my cockiness and mistake to allow me to purchase a k-5IIs sooner... otherwise it'll be 6 months till I can continue taking pictures

Although I do have my Super ME.. maybe it's a good time to get in touch with my film side.
10-29-2012, 03:30 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Would she be happier if you got a K-30? TBH I would get one of those over the K-5 IIs if I were looking to upgrade from the K-x myself, as in a way, it's 2 years newer

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Yes sir, have to see if my significant other is willing to overlook my cockiness and mistake to allow me to purchase a k-5IIs sooner... otherwise it'll be 6 months till I can continue taking pictures

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-29-2012, 03:34 PM   #5
Veteran Member

So going out during Hurricane Sandy was sorta a bad idea - YouTube

Shortly after getting hit with that last surge (I tasted salt water), my k-x is out of commission. It's in a ziplock with rice right now, and hopefully it survives.

If not, probably out of a camera for a few months. Life is full of surprises! Take care out there, guys.

(Also, I'm bloody jealous of you k-5/k-30/k-7/WR camera folks).
I would say considering that it is saltwater the remaining salt will kill the camera even if it dries. I would say that it needs some real distilled water love before drying.
10-29-2012, 03:35 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Won't it be covered by your home contents insurance policy?
10-29-2012, 03:39 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Would she be happier if you got a K-30? TBH I would get one of those over the K-5 IIs if I were looking to upgrade from the K-x myself, as in a way, it's 2 years newer
Unfortunately I love the silent shutter of the k-5, having played with both in stores. But.. if it comes down to it, I wouldn't mind getting the k-30 if she actually says yes to that instead.

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
I would say considering that it is saltwater the remaining salt will kill the camera even if it dries. I would say that it needs some real distilled water love before drying.
Good idea - I'll go get some distilled water tomorrow or the day after.

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
Won't it be covered by your home contents insurance policy?
How does that work? Technically I went into the hurricane

10-29-2012, 03:43 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Poor K-x

All the best for a speedy recovery.
10-29-2012, 03:44 PM   #9
Veteran Member

mmmmmmm nope lol errrrrrrr I left the camera in the window which i forgot to close..... lol Dog knocked it into the bath
10-29-2012, 03:57 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Sorry about you K-x, they're great little cameras. Make sure you open all the ports when drying it out.
10-29-2012, 03:58 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Sorry about you K-x, they're great little cameras. Make sure you open all the ports when drying it out.
Thanks - I'll do that.
10-29-2012, 04:01 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Thanks - I'll do that.
Best of luck. I agree with Adam, if I were upgrading again from the K-x I'd go with the K-30. The only things I would miss would be the grip and lower shutter noise, but I'd gain focus peaking and a variety of othe pluses at lower cost while still being WR.
10-29-2012, 04:02 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Best of luck. I agree with Adam, if I were upgrading again from the K-x I'd go with the K-30. The only things I would miss would be the grip and lower shutter noise, but I'd gain focus peaking and a variety of othe pluses at lower cost while still being WR.
While true, I also find the -3EV AF endearing...
10-29-2012, 04:14 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Home insurance?

How does that work? Technically I went into the hurricane
Not sure about how it works in the USA. I suppose it's worth asking your insurance company.
10-29-2012, 04:17 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Unfortunately, since it was salt water, even drying it out the corrosion of internals has begun. RIP K-x.

Too bad the hurricanes don't start over freshwater lakes. (Or maybe that's a good thing.)