Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2012, 08:36 AM   #1

K5 or K30. Aesthetics and feel?

I'm moving from m43 land where until recently I had an OM-D kit, which I sold to cover some unexpected expenses. Anyway, I'm in the market again. I loved the Oly and the system and am torn between getting another or moving to Pentax. I can get into a Pentax system for less than the m43 kit so am heavily leaning (99%) to either K5 or K30. Both excellent choices from what I gather.

As I don't have either camera anywhere close to me to compare side by side, I am having to do what I can from the computer. I've done camerasize.com to know how they compare size wise to the OM-D, but what it is coming down to is aesthetics and ergonomics/tactile feel.

Aesthetically, which is a better experience? Build quality and shutter sound seem to go to the K5.

How is the tactile/ergonomic experience? K5 heavier, slightly different shape and grip material, but which is favored?

These are very subjective, but with image quality between the two a tossup (while AF seems to slightly favor the K30) and all other things being fairly equal, this is what it comes down to for me.

For what it is worth, I've been a professional photographer for over 25 years (newspapers) and recently switched careers as the newspaper market took a dive. I'm not shooting much professionally, but want a quality kit for my personal use. I've used Nikon and Canon throughout the years and have no interest in the size and bulk. Pentax seems like a nice mix between the big two and m43 in size and bulk and equal to or greater than any of them in image quality. Some of my photos can be seen here: jeffryscott.com

Thanks

10-30-2012, 09:29 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The build quality of the K-5 and K-30 cameras is about the same. I'd say that when the K-5 doesn't have a grip on, the K-30 is easier to hold, whereas the K-5 with grip handles better. The K-30 is much easier to hold than comparable Canon and Nikon cameras, though each has its own pros and cons (expect to see a review on our homepage tomorrow).

The only thing that annoys me about the K-30 is the placement of the live view button. It's basically impossible to get to unless you use two hands...

If you're looking to start with Pentax, the K-30 is the way to go. If you're also considering other brands, take a look at the Nikon D5100 as well.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-30-2012, 12:12 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am trying to make the same decision as JefferyScott, which body, the K-5 II or K-30. I am moving from a FF Canon gear. I was prepared to purchase the K-5 II / 18-35 kit and one other lens. But now I am back to considering the K-30 again and spending the money saved for better glass.
I shoot mostly landscape type and some indoor shots for our church. I was experimenting with micro. I shoot 80% raw. I am not concerned about video and do very little action shots.

So for me the question is low light focusing ability and which body creates the best quality photo?. The K-5 II has 14 bit raw files verses 12 bit for the K-30. Does that extra 2 bits help that much? The K-30 has a newer processor, but the K-5 still looks pretty good. I have tried looking at posted images, but they are so close in quality it's difficult to make an accurate evaluation between the two. What ever body I choose I will be living with for a few years.
Any answers to which body makes the best images?
10-30-2012, 12:43 PM   #4

I made the jump on Saturday. Have been looking at the K-30 versus K-5 Classic. I landed on the K-5c since it was only $80 price difference, and i finally decided that the quieter shutter, and 14 bit raw capability was worth it. I personally found the K-5 fits better in my hand.

10-30-2012, 01:11 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
I too am in the same boat. I am moving over from Olympus (E-500) since i love what i read and see of Pentax, and don't have a lot of old Oly lenses (and thus not a huge investment). I have been reading this site and others for months now and am still stuck. I was originally definite that I wanted a K-5, but with some of the features of the K-30, i started considering that, although still slightly inclined towards the K-5. But now the K-5 II and IIs have me leaning towards one of those. However, now that I can actually make the purchase, and seeing some of the complaints re: the II/IIs, I am now considering the K-30 w/ 18-135 kit once again. There is about a $400 price difference between the K-30/18-135WR kit and the k-5II/18-135WR kit. That money could go towards buying another decent lens. And now I am torn. Further, as per a gripe I have raised elsewhere on this site, there is no retailer to the best of my knowledge that has either of these on hand anywhere within a reasonable distance (despite the fact that I live within 10 miles of D.C. So i am relying on what I read, and the sage advice from those on this site who have used these cameras and probably previously wrestled with these same questions themselves. Decisions, Decisions......
10-30-2012, 01:36 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A size comparison...

Compare camera dimensions side by side - K-5 vs OM-D

Compare camera dimensions side by side - K-30 vs OM-D

Compare camera dimensions side by side - K-01 vs OM-D
10-30-2012, 01:58 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by toukan Quote
Further, as per a gripe I have raised elsewhere on this site, there is no retailer to the best of my knowledge that has either of these on hand anywhere within a reasonable distance (despite the fact that I live within 10 miles of D.C.
Ace Photo out near Dulles lists the K-5, K-30, and the 18-135WR in stock on their website (which may be more accurate than their in-store system). I don't see either flavor of the K-5 II yet.

They don't really have any demonstrators (there were dummy K-01s in the case and maybe a K-5), but they will at least open a box, stick the kit lens on the body w/o battery and let you get a feel for the camera. I bought my K-30 from them before realizing I can't get the $20 2-year warranty because Virginia is one of the no-extended-warranty states. Oh, well. I wanted to support a brick-and-mortar store that actually admitted to stocking Pentax cameras. It might have been smarter to buy some glass or something and get the K-30 online, but once I had the Crystal Blue Persuasion in my hot little hands, there was no turning back.

10-31-2012, 03:35 PM   #8

Having handled both, my opinion is that the K5 wins no contest. The K30 has a nice feel for an entry level cam, but it isn't nearly as solid as the K5.
10-31-2012, 06:41 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I'd been using a K5 for over 2 years before K30 came out. Sold the K5 for a K30 w/o any regret. Both are great cameras, but as Adam said, w/o a battery grip, K30 just feels better in hand.

As to the button layout, actually I prefer the K30 over K5 for the swap of liveview button and replay button. I seldom use liveview, and when I do, I'd use two hands to hold the camera anyway, so I don't mind using left thumb to press the liveview button. But when I wanna review the photos just taken, the replay button is handily sitting near the 4-way buttons, which can be done w/o shifting my left hand.

Anyway, both are very good cameras. But if given the chance again, I'd go for the 5IIs. Just wanna play something different.
10-31-2012, 11:09 PM   #10

I have a question that kind of relates to the OP. I've ready many times that the K-30 operates faster (menu navigation, image review, etc) than the K-5. How significant is the leap? Does a K-5 feel slow and clunky in comparison?
11-01-2012, 11:41 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Looks like a bunch of us struggle with the same question. When we are talking about the K-5 it might be helpful to stipulate which K-5, the original (K-5c) or the newer one (K-5 II). Over on the Canon forums where I came from there was the two Canon 5D's, the original Mark 1 (5Dc) and the newer ones, Mark 2 & 3 and we had to make clear which one we were talking about.
11-01-2012, 12:25 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wingincamera Quote
Looks like a bunch of us struggle with the same question. When we are talking about the K-5 it might be helpful to stipulate which K-5, the original (K-5c) or the newer one (K-5 II). Over on the Canon forums where I came from there was the two Canon 5D's, the original Mark 1 (5Dc) and the newer ones, Mark 2 & 3 and we had to make clear which one we were talking about.
Original K5. Although doesn't seem like there is much, if any, difference in the handling of the II series.
11-01-2012, 12:44 PM   #13
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Wingincamera Quote
For handling K-7; K-5; K-5 II and K-5 IIs are all the same since they share the same body that has an magnesium alloy core.
11-06-2012, 01:31 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffryscott Quote
I'm moving from m43 land where until recently I had an OM-D kit, which I sold to cover some unexpected expenses. Anyway, I'm in the market again. I loved the Oly and the system and am torn between getting another or moving to Pentax. I can get into a Pentax system for less than the m43 kit so am heavily leaning (99%) to either K5 or K30. Both excellent choices from what I gather.

As I don't have either camera anywhere close to me to compare side by side, I am having to do what I can from the computer. I've done camerasize.com to know how they compare size wise to the OM-D, but what it is coming down to is aesthetics and ergonomics/tactile feel.

Aesthetically, which is a better experience? Build quality and shutter sound seem to go to the K5.

How is the tactile/ergonomic experience? K5 heavier, slightly different shape and grip material, but which is favored?

These are very subjective, but with image quality between the two a tossup (while AF seems to slightly favor the K30) and all other things being fairly equal, this is what it comes down to for me.

For what it is worth, I've been a professional photographer for over 25 years (newspapers) and recently switched careers as the newspaper market took a dive. I'm not shooting much professionally, but want a quality kit for my personal use. I've used Nikon and Canon throughout the years and have no interest in the size and bulk. Pentax seems like a nice mix between the big two and m43 in size and bulk and equal to or greater than any of them in image quality. Some of my photos can be seen here: jeffryscott.com

Thanks
Having tried both a K-30 and a K-5 recently (only for a short while) my choice is clearly the K-5. The K-30 isn't bad for my hands, far from it, but the K-5 seems to fit even better. I'd rank the K-30 behind my Pentax *istDS, too, while the K-5 is on par or slightly better.

Both feel quite solid, though again, K-5 wins. (And don't get a painted K-30. They feel odd...).

@Adam: He is a pro with lots of experience. I don't think the K-30 is appropriate.

Basically I was considering both, K-5 and K-30, until I held both in my hands. Didn't take me long to decide it has to be the K-5. With the K-30 I simply thought... hm, not really better than my *istDS. Feels like a step backwards, apart from the K-30 being much newer and much more advanced, of course. If all that counts are the results though I'd probably get the K-30.
11-06-2012, 05:26 AM   #15
Forum Member

I'm also struggling between original K5 and K30...they are both at the similar price ~A$1260 with 18-135 lens in an Australian online store. K5 II is not an option, because it's only a very small improvement with much higher price than K5.