Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-01-2012, 11:57 AM   #16
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
As for lenses... The 18-135 is very strong from about 20 to 40 mm. I find it to be an excellent landscape lens used in it's wide end. The DA* is very strong throughout it's range. But, you're talking $500 vs $1500...if I'm you, the lens I'd add to the 18-135 would be the 15 Ltd.
Have you ever used the DA 17-70? I have one and optically it's impressive WHEN it nails focus. I am routinely let down by that lens in the AF department. I have to review multiple shots to make sure I don't walk away with a bunch of OOF duds. NONE of my other lenses have this problem. I think my decent manuals nail AF better with CIF!

Does the 18-135 nail AF fairly consistently?

By the way... I like the covered bridge shot but I find myself bothered by the alignment. None of the multiple verticals or horizontals line up with the frame edges and I think that makes the shot feel like it's slightly off balance. I wonder if a rotation to align the guard rail and concrete verticals on the left side with the left frame edge would give the shot a more stable feel. Just an idea. I could be totally off balance myself.

11-01-2012, 12:09 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I sure got a wealth of information from everyone. I also Google the question of 12 vs 14 bit which mostly matches what is said above. I shoot about 80% raw and process in Lightroom & Photoshop.
I still haven't completely made up my mind between the the K-30 or K-5 II/IIs. I have finished selling all my Canon gear, so am now in a position to start purchasing the Pentax gear, but since this is just a hobby I don't have to be in a hurry. That is good.
11-02-2012, 11:20 PM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Every feature built in to the K-30 has been built in to the K-5 II.
Except for focus peaking and h264 video. Of course neither of those are relevant to the bit depth of RAW files, but the former is relevant given the vast 'back catalogue' of K and M42 mount MF lenses, and the latter is relevant to anyone who has previously encountered M-JPEG video *shudders*
11-03-2012, 12:37 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One advantage of 14 bit image is when you do destructive editing in programs like Photoshop, if you do a lot of editing on them, you could technically have a better quality final result.(the more you edit, the chances of "banding" increases) The newest versions of PS. Offer a lot more non destructive editing so the advantage of more color depth is decreasing. As far as printing goes, it would likely be next to impossible to tell the difference between the two.

Hope this helps

Randy