Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In the meantime try something like this:
OP/TECH USA 18" Rainsleeve (Set of 2) 9001132 B&H Photo

10-31-2012, 03:30 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Mostly so far it's been pretty sporadic and way more offers of barter work than cash work. I am working a fair bit but I'm not making a whole lot of actual money doing it yet. I've made most of my rent and utilities but not much else. I have however gotten free tons of PT sessions, yoga classes, some house maintenance work done, several large boxes worth of craft/sewing supplies, and had several nice take out meals out on clients in the past few months.

I did a product display shoot for a lady who owns a bakery a while back and I'm still getting my folks all the croissants and cookies they can eat from that. Thanksgiving dinner's bird this year is actually coming by way of a local meat market owner I did a job for and I'm currently trying to barter a dentist as I type for a bit of dental work I need done. I had a couple of teeth removed and could use some bridge work and I have a couple of small cavities I still need filled. He'll barter labor and the fillings but I'd still have to pay for the bridge so I'm probably not going to do that one I don't think. That's too much $$$ for me to come up with right now.

I wish more of it were actual cash work but I can't afford to turn much of the barter work I get down yet. Word of mouth definitely helps and I've gotten a few referrals now from people I've done barter work for. Bartering for things I actually need is good. It's the avoidance of people who want to barter for things I have no particular use for that's sometimes hard. I've had enough offers for hair cuts and massage sessions to last me a lifetime at this point. I do barter photos for PT sometimes but I cut and dye my own hair and will not barter on that one ever. Last time I had my hair cut and dyed by someone else I ended up looking like Bowie in his Ziggy persona, never again. No one touches my head but me, EVER, laugh...

I'm actually trained for graphics design too but I hardly ever get anything in terms of paid work on that score. People here just will not pay for that. If they want a flyer or CD cover or whatever that they can't make themselves they'll offer to barter you but that's it. Everybody is a photoshop guru these days, or thinks they are anyway. I make more selling the necklaces I make at craft shows than I ever did at that...
10-31-2012, 03:34 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
LOL, actually I use these for rain, when I absolutely MUST go there....

13 Gallon Glad

Duck Tape

I've been known to walk down the street with a glad or hefty trash bag and duct tape set up over me, my camera and my camera bag. Those ones with the drawstring are the best because you can use them to keep water off your pants better and they don't flap away in high wind as easily. Gets me some strange looks, for sure, but it does work fairly well. I'd still love a rubber shield though someday or a camera that doesn't need one but I never leave home sans heavy duty trash bags and duct tape.

I use the top bag reversed over me with a hole cut in for my head and another one for my lens. I make a shield out of the 2nd bag which is held by duct tape over the camera attached to a lens hood and a bit over it and I also use duct tape over the hole the whole camera aims through to seal it to the 1st bag, so no leaks. 3rd bag goes around my waist and down my jeans if I need one. I've tried using a rain poncho but it doesn't really keep the rain out enough.

I only do this if I must be outside in major weather though as it does tend to be a bit cumbersome and attracts a bit more attention than I'd like. Learned this trick when I lived in NYC there. You'd be amazed at how many people you see there using all kinds of things for cover when it really rains there. A street vendor I knew there taught me the trash bag trick....

Last edited by magkelly; 10-31-2012 at 03:46 PM.
10-31-2012, 03:59 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I've gone through my fair share of nice glass, be it third party gems, Limiteds, DA*s, you name it. Currently, my go-to lens for any and all outdoors work is the DA18-55mm WR, the thing has practically been glued to my K-5 for the past month or so. The lens is a solid performer, so i'm sure you won't regret it if you were to get a K-5 or K30 with it. Personally, I whould go for the K-5 for the14-bit RAW files, but thats just me YMMV

10-31-2012, 04:01 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote

I'm actually trained for graphics design too but I hardly ever get anything in terms of paid work on that score. People here just will not pay for that. If they want a flyer or CD cover or whatever that they can't make themselves they'll offer to barter you but that's it. Everybody is a photoshop guru these days, or thinks they are anyway. I make more selling the necklaces I make at craft shows than I ever did at that...
You're right on that. Lots of people have a grasp but not a lot of folks can really do it well (that being said, I make no claim on being an expert at it myself ) And people either don't put a lot of value on doing it well, or just can't afford to in this economy. It's tough.

I'm actually quite sick of doing graphic design work at least for newspapers. Too much work for not enough pay, and people end up wanting to change their ad a hundred million times (I mostly do ads). It can get very frustrating very fast. Anyways, I'm trying to find a way to do more photography and we'll see how that goes.

Anyways, I like the plastic bag idea.
11-01-2012, 05:51 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I bought my 18-135 for $300 used. I trust the sellers on this forum to take care of their equipment. Be patient, deals do show up.