Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2008, 11:16 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
PSP X2 has a "film and filters" function in the menu structure, and one of the sub options is black and white. From there, you can "clarify" the image and apply a color filter. Not sure if it's present in your version, but it's a great way to experiment with the effect of different colors.

02-09-2008, 12:10 AM   #17
Veteran Member

I just use convert to grayscale then use brightness and contrast to tweak the grayscale photo until I like it.

But I do realize that this is not necessarily the best way -
but for me it's just the quickest that I can get acceptable results.

So you can see from the foregoing I am not an expert at this -
but doing some web (re)search my brief survey found the Channel Mixer technique seems to be favored -

How to Convert Color Digital Images into Black and White Ones

Converting a Digital Color Photo into Black and White

Convert Color Photos to Black and White

Digital Black and White by Thom Hogan

=:[ Magic of Black and White photography Art with Gimp for ...
this is GIMP specific but it uses the same channel mixer technique as Thom Hogan -
may help translate into PSP

and

Adobe - Convert color photos to black-and-white
This content requires Flash. To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest ...
this link is Adobe Lightroom specific - but gives an idea of what is possible.

I found a Paint Shop Pro specific page -
even with a script to do the technique -

Black and White Photography

Last edited by UnknownVT; 02-09-2008 at 12:17 AM.
02-09-2008, 01:22 AM   #18
Veteran Member

hello.

There are a plethora of methods, unfortunately this is an excellent example of photoshop's dominance as all tutorials, tricks, etc. are for photoshop.

I strongly recommend adjusting the colour image first specifically for black and whites' chromatic desaturation. Regardless of software application, try increasing contrast and colour saturation to almost bleeding eyeball level, then proceed into black and white. I have found increased adjustments in black and white quickly produce tonal banding, slight solarizing, and occasional blur. Frustrating. This is why I virulently attack the channel mixer method as the worst of all.

Also, remember to tone the black and white; a slight warm tone is usually pleasing.
02-09-2008, 02:03 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Donald Quote
hello.
I strongly recommend adjusting the colour image first specifically for black and whites' chromatic desaturation. Regardless of software application, try increasing contrast and colour saturation to almost bleeding eyeball level, then proceed into black and white. I have found increased adjustments in black and white quickly produce tonal banding, slight solarizing, and occasional blur. Frustrating. This is why I virulently attack the channel mixer method as the worst of all....
Well a lot of photographers have used Photoshop's channel mixer with great success and is a method that can mimic the effect of coloured filters with traditional B&W film. But then again Photoshop is such a powerful tool that there is more than one way to obtain a B&W image.

Actually I find what you've written pretty cryptic and I really find it hard to understand some of your terms:

"black and whites' chromatic desaturation" - do you mean desaturate the image
"increasing contrast and colour saturation to almost bleeding eyeball level" - what's that? Do you adjust colour balance, hue/saturation, brightness/contrast?
"produce tonal banding, slight solarizing, and occasional blur" - channel mixer results in this??? I'm not sure I follow you on this.

02-09-2008, 03:38 AM   #20
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi all

Thanks to everybody for your invaluable input on the subject. It looks like I'm on uncharted territory here in order to extract the best possible image, hence the well-worn phrase about learning something new every day !

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 02-09-2008 at 03:47 AM.
02-09-2008, 08:42 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Actually I find what you've written pretty cryptic and I really find it hard to understand some of your terms:

"black and whites' chromatic desaturation" - do you mean desaturate the image
I just found out yesterday that my Sigma SD14 software had a monochrome white balance setting.
Which several people use to turn their images into a B&W pictures.

I'm 1/2 thinking that's what he's referring to.

It appears to do a nice job. I just did this conversion with one button, no other processing.
02-09-2008, 01:38 PM   #22
Veteran Member

UnknownVT,

Thanks for the great links to the BW "how to sites"!
02-09-2008, 02:24 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
UnknownVT,
Thanks for the great links to the BW "how to sites"!
You're more than welcome - and thank you for the kind words.

Any time I want to do something I am not that familiar with -
I just do a web (re)search and read the (hopefully) many tutorials,
and then figure which are the better ways.

Often I still have to weigh up if the effort of any new technique is actually worth it.

Of course, if I were to want my own project/"art" print - almost any effort is worth it -
but if it's going to be a mere thumbnail or small sized photo -
then I'll just use the quickest simplest way that still gives me acceptable results.

Of course YMMV.

02-09-2008, 02:38 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here is an attempt I just made at converting to B&W, I just went to colors, saturation, and adjusted all colors to zero, then adjusted the mid tone highlites higher, and added a little noise in PSE3, looks OK to me, but maybe someone could give me a few pointers too.

Original..

Converted..

02-09-2008, 05:27 PM   #25
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Glen_S Quote
Confused - you said you shot them in color mode.

Out of curiousity, can the K10 shoot in B&W mode? I just unwrapped mine last night and haven't had enough play time with it yet to see..
Check the "digital filters" section of your manual for info, but on the KHundredD, those only work in jpg, not RAW.

In my image editor (Firehand's Ember Max, now defunct I think) I use the "grayscale" selection to convert to BW. You can then play with contrast, etc. Should be the same in nearly any program.
02-10-2008, 12:11 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Stratman,

I took the liberty to use your photo for an example. I hope you don't mind

I used IDimager for this:

1. convert to BW with a higher contrast selected. makes the case interior darker
2. darkened the shadows to remove the room details in the top left corner
3. increased the contrast to bring out the grain in the body
4. sharpened the photo

I am still new to this, and would welcome any comments.

Eric.

Last edited by KungPOW; 04-28-2008 at 05:35 PM.
02-10-2008, 12:14 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like it Eric, looks good, different, but good
02-10-2008, 06:07 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Donald Quote
hello.

There are a plethora of methods, unfortunately this is an excellent example of photoshop's dominance as all tutorials, tricks, etc. are for photoshop.

I strongly recommend adjusting the colour image first specifically for black and whites' chromatic desaturation. Regardless of software application, try increasing contrast and colour saturation to almost bleeding eyeball level, then proceed into black and white. I have found increased adjustments in black and white quickly produce tonal banding, slight solarizing, and occasional blur. Frustrating. This is why I virulently attack the channel mixer method as the worst of all.

Also, remember to tone the black and white; a slight warm tone is usually pleasing.
Well, i use the Channel mixer as my prime adjustment source and get good results.
I start with 25/70/5 and go from there.

I use Photo shop, and have installed these free plug ins and get very good results from them as well.
Cybia - Plug-In Filters - BW-Plus
Lightroom has several settings for B&W, and you should still be able to get a free trial still.

Dave
02-11-2008, 05:53 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Photoshop CS3 B&W Adjustment Layer

There are many paths up this particular mountain; the view is a bit different from each path, but you can get to the top in many ways in most pp programs. Here's one that I haven't seen mentioned yet, for those who've got the latest Photoshop:

1) Open your color or colour pic in Photoshop CS3.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/8386d1202733964-converting-colour-photos-b-w-mt-st-helens-vga.jpg

2) Go to Layers>New Adjustment Layer>Black & White

3) Fiddle with the sliders and watch the histogram and live preview to see the effects of each; combine effects until satisfied. Clearer than the older Channel Mixer, IMO. Or use some of the conversion presets from the drop-down menu.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/8387d1202733964-converting-colour-photos-b-w-mt-st-helens2-vga.jpg

4) Save As to rename your new B&W version and keep your color/colour version untouched.

That's it! I did the conversion here in about two minutes from the time I opened the color file until I uploaded both versions to the forum site. BTW, I run MacOS, so the gamma may look a bit off to you if you look at this on a PC, but that's an easy adjustment if you're picky, right?
Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
E8700  Photo 
02-11-2008, 12:26 PM   #30
Inactive Account

PSP X2 Will do the channel mixer function, the Conversion to BW using filters, as well as some BW and Sepia tones in the time machine function. It also comes with NIK BW conversion under the plugins. I have experimented with both for the last couple weeks with good results. PSPX2 Has an original protection feature that works well. Good Luck!