Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2012, 07:56 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
IR review of K-30

The Imaging Resource just posted their very favorable review of the K-30.

11-01-2012, 01:13 PM   #2

Yorik - They have indeed, and for once amongst many reviews - particularly from sites that seem to favour the much-advertised 'trendy' Brands of DSLRs - they DO make the point that the K30 is unusual at the price-level ($19.00 less than the Canon 650D, body-only, in Sydney) - for upper-entry / lower mid-range cameras in having pentaprism, not pentamirror, and explaining that.

Ref: - www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/pentax-k30/pentax-k30A.HTM

- I find it 'somewhat unusual' that - if people are going to "review" products - that they all too often "don't mention" critical features that directly affect the use of the product....

The K30's pentaprism against the usual at price-level pentamirror is one. But how can they "compare" with, say, the 650D - without 'noticing' that the K30 has a 1/6000th shutter - the 650D has 1/4000th. Although I'm certainly no expert - I'd think that does relate to "taking photos"....

The K30 has TWO e-dials - that does seem to be about 100% more e-dials than the same price-range comp - example, the 650D.

And just how many entry-mid range DSLRs under $1,000.00 can you buy with any weather-dust sealing - let alone 81-seals worth of it? It's not a very long list...

It might not matter to some - but AAs-capability with about 800 shots on Eneloops or 1600 shots on Lithiums - is quite a difference from, say, the 650D's rated 440 shots per charge. Particularly if doing Video or Time-delay / Interval Movie.

And-and-and......

Sure - it can work the other way - I'm about to "fwow-up" - at the next review I see that says the 650D has video "Mono Audio" (even our on-P-Forum comparo review missed that one...)

It doesn't - not many cameras, including Bridge cameras in much lower price ranges, do, these days... I don't have a 650D here to do test-shots - so I'll use my Fuji HS10 Bridge - the full PCM Stereo is the same as the 650D's - though it doesn't have the 650D's mic socket....

Fuji HS10

Pentax K30

Regards, Dave.

Last edited by exwintech; 11-01-2012 at 02:38 PM.