11-02-2012, 06:11 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Damnit I just bought a Pentax Q as my mirrorless counterpart

11-02-2012, 10:41 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sliver-Surfer Quote
Damnit I just bought a Pentax Q as my mirrorless counterpart
On balance I think that the Q with the v1.1 firmware and the adapters available is a more versatile camera in a lot of ways. I already have a K-5 for serious dSLR work. The Q is actually small, takes descent pics, can use K mount lenses, and has a lot going for it. Its a design joy IMHO. The K-01 is a design nightmare in so many ways, although it uses K lenses natively and has great IQ. At these prices they're both very attractive but on balance, for me, the Q seems more attractive and offers more different uses and features over the K-01.
11-02-2012, 01:30 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The deal was to hard to resist, ordered a K-01 bundle yesterday. It went on backorder today. I hope Adorama gets more stock in quick!. The Adorama deal included:

K-01 with 40mm f/2.8 XS lens
SanDisk 16 GB Ultra SDHC UHS-I, 30 MB/s
Lowepro Rezo TLZ-10 Holster-style bag
Adorama MEM-4 4-Slot Bi-fold memory card holder
Flashpoint Replacment Battery for Pentax DL-i90
11-02-2012, 01:41 PM   #19
Pentaxian

I wonder how many DA 40 XS lenses will be soon up for sale in the PF Marketplace? And Lowepro Rezo bags?

I for now am resisting this temptation and will probably buy an iPad instead. I thought long and hard about this over the past 24 hours. I know the image quality of the K-01 is excellent but I'm still worried about the autofocus speed and accuracy (even with the firmware update), using the LCD outside, the irritating rubber memory card door, and the camera's physical size-- while smaller than my K-X, it's really not much difference and I would lose the viewfinder. Yes, the price is ridiculously cheap and I guess it is a no-brainer, but then again, if I keep saving up, I can get a K-30 that I think may be worth the extra hundreds over this K-01 sale price. (hopefully K-30's price will keep trending down as well)

But I agree that if you can live with, and work around, the limitations of the K-01, it's an excellent value at the current price, and could easily be a nice second body for video capture, or for Pentaxians with older DSLRs that want the K-5's sensor without paying so much money.

Of course, I might change my mind about this... as early as this weekend... curse you, CBA!!

11-02-2012, 01:51 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
I wonder how many DA 40 XS lenses will be soon up for sale in the PF Marketplace? And Lowepro Rezo bags?

I for now am resisting this temptation and will probably buy an iPad instead. I thought long and hard about this over the past 24 hours. I know the image quality of the K-01 is excellent but I'm still worried about the autofocus speed and accuracy (even with the firmware update), using the LCD outside, the irritating rubber memory card door, and the camera's physical size-- while smaller than my K-X, it's really not much difference and I would lose the viewfinder. Yes, the price is ridiculously cheap and I guess it is a no-brainer, but then again, if I keep saving up, I can get a K-30 that I think may be worth the extra hundreds over this K-01 sale price. (hopefully K-30's price will keep trending down as well)

But I agree that if you can live with, and work around, the limitations of the K-01, it's an excellent value at the current price, and could easily be a nice second body for video capture, or for Pentaxians with older DSLRs that want the K-5's sensor without paying so much money.

Of course, I might change my mind about this... as early as this weekend... curse you, CBA!!
Sounds to me like the K30 will be worth the wait for you. I've no doubt it'll get towards a $600 price point sooner than later, as all camera bodies tend to do! The K-x is still a great little camera. Also, no doubt there will be plenty of the 40mm available in the marketplace - unless I like the novelty of it that is likely where mine will end up (I do have the 43mm which I love using on my m4/3 camera, but could still see holding onto the 40mm XS just for the sheer compact size).
11-02-2012, 02:12 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I hear the k-mount adapter for the iPad stinks.

Once I actually used a K-01, I found that the LCD and rubber door were not nearly the issues they'd been made out to be. For size, it's smaller than a K-x in important ways - I can stuff the K-01 in a jacket pocket, and I couldn't do that with the K-x. Autofocus is vastly improved with FW1.01 - that said, LiveView focusing just can't compare to phase detect. I wouldn't even try to use my K-01 to shoot critters or kids, and if I did out of desperation, I'd probably go manual and zone-focus. I don't think it's a replacement for a dSLR, but it's a nice complement to one.
11-02-2012, 02:46 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
LiveView focusing just can't compare to phase detect. I wouldn't even try to use my K-01 to shoot critters or kids
Yep, that's what I was worried about-- I have a 2 year old toddler who never sits still for any shot, and a big Labrador retriever who runs around like a crazed puppy.

But thanks for the hands-on experience with the K-01; my concerns were not based on actual usage (that's what happens when Pentax DSLRs are not easily found in brick and mortar stores) but based on the "cons" listed in online reviews. I do think if I actually bought one and used it, I could make it work for certain occasions, and may be quite happy with it as a complement to a DSLR. Then again, I've been lusting after the K-30 for a while, so I should focus on trying to buy that, instead of being distracted by the K-01 "hobby." For the current low low price, though, I admit that the K-01 is really calling to me: "my precious..."

11-02-2012, 04:05 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I admit that the K-01 is really calling to me: "my precious..."
Yeah, it'll do that. The yellow ones are especially bad about it, for some reason.

In your case, I think you should hold out for the K-30. IMHO, Everything the K-x does well, the 'thirty does just a little better. Well, I guess with the exception of "be the smallest Pentax dSLR" - the K-30 is a bit bigger.
11-02-2012, 06:19 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

I agree, there's going to be alot of stuff on ebay from the bundle, but it does mean some more cash for me...
The main reason I pulled the trigger on the K-01 is the focus peaking. I have some manual lenses that I love and the focus peaking just sounded perfect with my aging eyes.
I also wanted a camera to use for video. The mpeg4 implementation looks weak, but it did offer an audio input which was a big plus over the K-30.
11-03-2012, 07:48 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
On balance I think that the Q with the v1.1 firmware and the adapters available is a more versatile camera in a lot of ways. I already have a K-5 for serious dSLR work. The Q is actually small, takes descent pics, can use K mount lenses, and has a lot going for it. Its a design joy IMHO. The K-01 is a design nightmare in so many ways, although it uses K lenses natively and has great IQ. At these prices they're both very attractive but on balance, for me, the Q seems more attractive and offers more different uses and features over the K-01.
I think the Q will serve me well. I plan on using as a street camera. But mostly I will putting it on a 16ft telescoping boom for some portrait work and as my second shooter an incognito candid portrait interval camera. You just want what you cant have I suppose.