Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2012, 05:55 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-5 Shutter Count and Used Price / Batter Grip

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Friends,

I just received my used Pentax K5 which I purchased for 750.00 (Body Only), upgrading from a K10, although keeping that camera as well.

Question, It just came today and I have been playing with it for a few hours, and noticed the shutter count at 5000 est. Is 5000 of a count high for the price I paid? Also, what
type of life can I hope to expect shutter wise from this camera. I am embarassed to admit this but my K10 only has about 2300 on it.

Also regarding the aftermarket Battery Grips which fit both the K-7 and K-5, I noticed many out there in the 50-70.00 range. Pro-s or Con-s for those?

Here is an example which includes two additional batteries:
D BG4 DBG4 Vertical Battery Grip for Pentax K 7 K 5 K7 K5 DSLR Camera 2 D LI90 | eBay

Any Comments or advice appreciated on the above. Thanks so much.

David

11-01-2012, 06:09 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

David,

5000 is nothing in the life of the shutter of a K5. It is practically a new camera. I think my K10 is over 50k and working like new still. There are members here with K5 s over 100k.

On the grip I have an aftermarket one which cost me $89. It is good, but not built as good as the Pentax version I have. I'm aware of that and have no complaints.

Good luck and welcome.
11-01-2012, 06:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ruemiser Quote
Is 5000 of a count high for the price I paid?
I don't have a k-5 but have been watching used ones closely. 5K shutter is still quite low and the price is within range, I'd say. Enjoy!
11-01-2012, 06:22 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Are you asking because you have an option to return it or just for peace of mind?

11-01-2012, 06:39 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Are you asking because you have an option to return it or just for peace of mind?

This is the first used Pentax I bought. I bought K10 new. Still love it. Only shot manual with it
11-01-2012, 06:40 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
David,

5000 is nothing in the life of the shutter of a K5. It is practically a new camera. I think my K10 is over 50k and working like new still. There are members here with K5 s over 100k.

On the grip I have an aftermarket one which cost me $89. It is good, but not built as good as the Pentax version I have. I'm aware of that and have no complaints.

Good luck and welcome.

Tony, Is your aftermarket Battery Grip contructed of Plastic or is it a metal alloy construction?
11-01-2012, 06:52 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is the first used Pentax I bought. I bought K10 new. Still love it. Only shot manual with it
My 2yr old K-5 has about 49000 clicks and still going strong. I recently purchased a used K-5 as a backup that has about 5000 clicks.

It looks brand new compared to my old one but performance-wise the one with 10 times the clicks can keep right up with the newer one, so I wouldn't be too concerned.

11-01-2012, 06:53 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Also, what type of life can I hope to expect shutter wise from this camera. I am embarassed to admit this but my K10 only has about 2300 on it.
Most sources say these are good for 100,000 activations. I don't know if that is true, but seems a lot to me. I'm putting on about 5 K per year. How long have you had the K10? Unless it has only been about a half-year, 2300 is exceedingly low.
11-01-2012, 08:12 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I believe Pentax rates the K-5 for either 100K or 150K Shutter actuations - I forget which. 5000 is rather low use. Many Pentaxians here can get 5000 in a single month if they're busy.

As for the BG, I just got one that looks just like the one in your eBay link through newegg.com for even $20 less than that. I have one genuine grip plus this one. It is such an exact copy that you can even swap the battery trays between them!

While the copy has more "mushy" buttons, I used both of them today at a running race (one on the K-5 and one on the K-5 IIs) and didn't notice the difference when switching (although you probably will if you use them side-by side in a calm, slow-paced setting). The point is the difference is not significant enough to worry about. The copycat version also lacks the rubber seals which would have made it WR, and it is slightly more flimsy in construction. Notice that both have exactly the same shape and button layout, so you won't get confused if you switch one for the other.

I plan on keeping both. They're both worth what they cost, but the copy is a much better value, and at 1/6 the cost you absolutely should get it if you have better things you can do with the other $165 you'll save.
11-01-2012, 08:14 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Tony, Is your aftermarket Battery Grip contructed of Plastic or is it a metal alloy construction?
The aftermarket one is all plastic, where as the Pentax version has a metal plate where it comes in contact with the camera. Honestly it works the way it should, but when you use it, if you have a genuine one to compare it to you can feel that it is cheaper made.
But as I said, I've had no trouble with it and it was glued to my K5 for the first 2 months I had the camera doing school shoots and events. So it took a few bumps and still works great.
11-02-2012, 04:35 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GlennG Quote
Most sources say these are good for 100,000 activations. I don't know if that is true, but seems a lot to me. I'm putting on about 5 K per year. How long have you had the K10? Unless it has only been about a half-year, 2300 is exceedingly low.
I bought it new I believe back in 2007. First owner.
11-02-2012, 12:21 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I bought it new I believe back in 2007. First owner.
So the shutter in the K10 is good for an other 200+ years.
I have shot 1000+ shots in a one soccer game. Enjoy the K5.
11-05-2012, 01:08 PM   #13

5000 shots, that's practically new! i think I shoot about 5000 on my first day with a camera and once shot 8,200 at an airshow!