Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2012, 07:54 AM   #1
Forum Member

Should I upgrade?

I'm loving my K-7 but as digital imaging technology improves it sometimes pays to upgrade regularly...

The debate I'm in is that which K-5 II to get.

What does the K-5 IIs have that the K-5 II doesn't?

11-02-2012, 08:37 AM   #2
Veteran Member

It should be the other way round, what does the K5 II have that the K5 IIs doesn't? Answer, an AA filter.

Plenty of info around now comparing advantages of one against the other.
11-02-2012, 10:22 AM   #3

I'd wait for a few more detailed reviews to come out first. Then take an SD card to your local store with your favourite lens and test both cameras yourself and examine the results on your own screen and/or print them on your printer. I think that the IIs may have an edge for wildlife photography (my first love) but I'm going to wait and see and then test both. Hope that helps. I really wish that Pentax would get more proactive with its user base and address many of the questions/issues/worries that are occurring here about the new cameras. At the moment there is mostly supposition and very little in the way of hard evidence. Adam's review excepted of course. I feel the same as you - rather confused. I'm going to keep my K7 and try and persuade my wife to use it instead of the horrible little Canon bridge thing that she gets so frustrated with.
11-02-2012, 10:25 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The K-5 II can focus in lower light and the rear screen can be seen better in daylight. The k-5IIs has the same as the k-5II and has it AA filter removed. This gives it a higher resolution. I just upgraded from the k-7 to a k-5. I should get my k-5 on Monday. If you look at Adams review, he said it the differences in between the k-5 vs k-5II were not worth it.

I upgraded for the higher ISO and DR. Why do you want to upgrade?

11-02-2012, 11:09 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you've still got a K-7, I'd upgrade to the original K-5- you can get it for $725-$829 depending on where you shop.
Pentax K5 K-5 Digital SLR Camera Body, Black 14748

If you want to sell your K-7, post it on the Marketplace!
The Pentax Marketplace | Sell Pentax | Photographic Equipment for Sale - PentaxForums.com

A complete list of what's new in the K-5 II and K-5 IIs (not much) compared to the K-5 is found in our in-depth review:
Pentax K-5 II / IIs Review - Introduction - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: