Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2012, 01:22 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
jumping from K10, auto focus question

My k10 bit the dust and now I have to upgrade. how big of a jump is the auto focus on the k10 compared to either the k30 or k5? bright light and low light?
does the k30 have a sensitivity priority like the k10?

thanks

all opinions welcomed

randy

11-02-2012, 01:34 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The sensitivity priority mode is still there, yes, but it's more useful on the K-5 thanks to it's better low-ISO performance.

In bright light you won't see that much of a difference, but in low light, there will hardly be any hunting as long as you have the AF assist light on.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-02-2012, 01:50 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The sensitivity priority mode is still there, yes, but it's more useful on the K-5 thanks to it's better low-ISO performance.

In bright light you won't see that much of a difference, but in low light, there will hardly be any hunting as long as you have the AF assist light on.
thanks very much, adam
af assist light, is that part of the pop up flash? (silly question but I never used it more then a handful of times)

thanks

randy
11-02-2012, 01:54 PM   #4
Veteran Member

No, the af assist lamp is separate. You activate it in the menus.

11-02-2012, 02:25 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
No, the af assist lamp is separate. You activate it in the menus.
with the k5 and k30, how far can the af lamp go? my k10 doesn't have this feature

thanks

randy
11-02-2012, 02:32 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I've never checked for distance of effective use. Seems that it worked good for me at 10 to 12 feet though.
11-03-2012, 05:06 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
with the k5 and k30, how far can the af lamp go? my k10 doesn't have this feature

thanks

randy
Did a little experiment this evening because you made me curious about the effective distance of the af lamp.
I focused near, and let the lamp work to focus on the red "gate" which was 15 ft away. Focus was achieved instantly with no hunting.
EV was approximately 2 or just below by my calculations.(which is pretty low even for the K5) I was using the 43 limited at 1.9 for this shot, which I believe can make a difference.

Hope this helps.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo